Opinions on Audyssey App

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Both Pogre and Yepimonfire have had poor experiences with the app.

Are there accounts where people are using the app with a positive opinion?

I guess I am wondering if the problems are hit or miss depending on hardware or the like, or if the app is fundamentally crap!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Kurt, the feeling I get is that it’s not fully baked, and the public seems to be the beta test division. I have a big problem with that as I feel these things should be ready when they launch. Maybe it’s my old school thinking but, spending 20 bucks for an app of all things seems stupid. Especially when they don’t have the damn thing working consistently. My upgrade avr will likey be a D/M model but they can shove the app. To answer your question I think it’s crap. I feel like they really just made it for regular customers and hoped techie people who would scrutinize it didn’t get their hands on it. Sorry if I took your thread a little sideways, but I started clicking away on my phone and before I realized it’s I went on a little rant. Short version? For me, it seems like crap. I feel like @Pogre put a great deal of time into it, and I believe Audyssey’s CS was a joke and didn’t do much to help him. I don’t think people should pay money to be beta testers.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I've always had good results from Audyssey as long as I didn't have a defective setup mic.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another consideration is that avr manufacturers do what they want with Audyssey to a great extent, there are possibilites Audyssey has that no avr has implemented (like 4 sub capability for level/delay), just as things that are attributed to Audyssey that are really the avr manufacturer's tweak (like if using a sub Audyssey's choice would be to always set speakers to use bass management automatically). However, I don't know the deal with the app other than what Pogre has detailed for the most part, just recently saw a single mention by yep about he had issues but don't know what they are. Haven't taken a look over at avsforum to see more input, at least I assume there's going to be more there.

PS and Audyssey's response to Pogre's input makes me think the app issues are more on D&M's side of things....

E

Epetti

Audioholic Intern
Worked without issue from me. Essentially same experience as the receiver but after I could choose to apply it only to the low frequencies.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've always had good results from Audyssey as long as I didn't have a defective setup mic.
I'm not talking about Audyssey, but the app that allows you more control over your phone.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Worked without issue from me. Essentially same experience as the receiver but after I could choose to apply it only to the low frequencies.
This is exactly what I was wondering, and exactly what I would want to try on it.
My understanding is that Floyd's concerns with Audyssey is about the higher frequencies, so I would like to compare that vs full range.

It probably is not relevant, but which receiver do you have?
Have you experienced any of the glitches that Pogre or Yepimonfire did?
Can you list which features you used of the app?
Did you run Audyssey from the app then limit it to low frequencies, or include additional tasks/steps.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This is exactly what I was wondering, and exactly what I would want to try on it.
My understanding is that Floyd's concerns with Audyssey is about the higher frequencies, so I would like to compare that vs full range.

It probably is not relevant, but which receiver do you have?
Have you experienced any of the glitches that Pogre or Yepimonfire did?
Can you list which features you used of the app?
Did you run Audyssey from the app then limit it to low frequencies, or include additional tasks/steps.
I tend to agree with HD. If you think about it, Audyssey could only provide the concept and perhaps a template for the algorithms and then do the licensing thing. D&M really is in the position to do the implementation because they have so many different models and firmware versions. It would be infinitely difficult for Audyssey to try and interface with everything D&M has, and then ensure everything will still work flawlessly. It would appear in dealing with Pogre, Audyssey subtly tried the "blame game", but in reality they might have been just telling the truth, while treading carefully enough not to upset D&M.

E

Epetti

Audioholic Intern
I've been following the thread for the app on avsforums. So many people have been having glitches I may just be lucky.

Denon x4300, no glitches ever. I ran setup with 8 mic positions. Then messed with turning off the mid frequency bump, duplicating the curves to change the cutoff point, even some curve editing. All worked as advertised. Running on an old iPhone 6.

The only extra step I did was duplicate the curve before limiting it so that I could transfer with and without limit to the receiver to compare between them.

One big thing I like about the potential of the app (whether or not it becomes reality) is that Audyssey would have the ability to add features or tune their algorithms without needing to coordinate with Denon on firmware updates. Theoretically it could become far more feature rich than the receiver eventually.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been following the thread for the app on avsforums. So many people have been having glitches I may just be lucky.

Denon x4300, no glitches ever. I ran setup with 8 mic positions. Then messed with turning off the mid frequency bump, duplicating the curves to change the cutoff point, even some curve editing. All worked as advertised. Running on an old iPhone 6.

The only extra step I did was duplicate the curve before limiting it so that I could transfer with and without limit to the receiver to compare between them.

One big thing I like about the potential of the app (whether or not it becomes reality) is that Audyssey would have the ability to add features or tune their algorithms without needing to coordinate with Denon on firmware updates. Theoretically it could become far more feature rich than the receiver eventually.
I hope you are right. While I do think Audyssey could in fact do certain things on their own, they most likely do have to coordinate with D&M for testing and final implementation. According to the information Poge gathered, D&M apparently was handling everything to do with the App.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I'd bet Audyssey is out of the loop at this point. Audyssey isn't providing the app, D+M is. I doubt it will change down the line much if at all....

E

Epetti

Audioholic Intern
If that's the case and it doesn't expand beyond what it is now than it's a missed opportunity for them.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If that's the case and it doesn't expand beyond what it is now than it's a missed opportunity for them.
I agree. I feel like the app has a lot of potential. The power of Audyssey, in the palm of your hand.(sorry bad spider man reference). I hope somebody, be it D/M or Audyssey can get a handle on it and make it work right. I’d be happy to spend 20 bucks on it, as long as it’s fully baked.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I also have an x4300h and the app would just randomly close on my device. I would start measuring and it would just be gone. I'm not paying $20 to be a tester. I removed it and got my refund.

I'd love for it to work, but it's not there yet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think the app would be cool if it was backwards compatible with all their network receivers (so my two older units could use it :) ). I would be curious, after looking at their website, where the bulk of their revenues come from these days. https://audyssey.com/

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Curious, did you run it once, "get away with it", and now you're not gonna to touch it,
or,
did you run it multiple times without incident before reaching your current settings.

E

Epetti

Audioholic Intern
I've run calibration once but loaded different curves to the receiver multiple times. Will need to run again soon so we'll see how that goes.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
That is the problem with Audyssey, they should be trying update their software to make it more tweakable instead of that silly app. I know Home Theater heads prefer Audyssey, but I think tweability is where MCAAC has Audyssey beat. I just picked up a x4400h and ran Audyssey and wasn't really that impressed with results. The problem is, I can't really do to much about except for re-positioning the mic and running program again, whereas with MCAAC I can go into manual MCAAC and kind of tweak the sound.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd bet Audyssey is out of the loop at this point. Audyssey isn't providing the app, D+M is. I doubt it will change down the line much if at all....
I seem to remember you know how to contact Dr. Chris K., through Facebook Tweitter or something. Could you, or @Pogre please forward this thread (copy/paste contents, and/or link?) to him for comments and see if he bites. You could be right about who's in control, but there is a slim chance he may still have a little influence on D&M and may know who to talk to in order to gain some traction in finishing baking this thing.:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I seem to remember you know how to contact Dr. Chris K., through Facebook Tweitter or something. Could you, or @Pogre please forward this thread (copy/paste contents, and/or link?) to him for comments and see if he bites. You could be right about who's in control, but there is a slim chance he may still have a little influence on D&M and may know who to talk to in order to gain some traction in finishing baking this thing.:D
I have no special connection to Chris K. Audyssey does have a FB group going, and Pogre did post there and got very little response. I assume they're not going to go too deeply into the details of their deal with D+M (or United Sound now that they own it)....but you're welcome to try :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis