Onkyo TX-RZ810 + Dali Opticon 6 Need help with setup

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
Thank you for your input,

What db level should i set everything to if i use a SPL
Don't worry about that. Before running the pink noise for adjustments, just turn the volume up on your amp to where you normally listen to music. That's the benchmark to use to set your speaker levels because that volume is where you normally listen to music. Most AVR's are default to 0db for all channels at the beginning. Start the pink noise. The left speaker will start pink noise.Take the reading on your SPL meter. Whatever that reading is is where all the other speakers should be. Next will be the center channel. The center channel should read the same db level as your left one did. If not, raise or lower it as needed.......then move to your right speaker.......should read the same as your center....etc.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
TLS Guy......To each his own. If you like the sound of your system better with the speakers set to large then great. However, it is common knowledge in the audio industry that bass reproduction sucks the most power from your amp. By setting your speakers to large, you are asking your amp to provide LF sound to all your speakers when the powered sub can do that job.......and better in most cases. It is, in my opinion a duplication of efforts.

In other words, if your speakers are capable of accurately reproducing 20-80hz frequencies then of course, you do not need a sub at all!!
As is so often true common knowledge is dead wrong!

There is little power below 80 Hz. I can assure the real power range is 80 to 2.5 KHz.

In addition the area below 80 Hz coincides with the tuning peaks of impedance and so that range stresses amps very little.

You just think a lot of power is required because subs are so inefficient.

There is the odd movie effect that takes some peak power, but bay and large there are not large power demands below 80 Hz.

If your bass system is efficient, that means large, then the power required for the sib range is not large.

In any event I have power to spare, 3.5 KW from 14 power amp channels. They all just coast.

F

faz668

Enthusiast
Hi guys

I went out and bought a sound meter for $75, thought i would calibrate things properly.

A little confused

Weighting set to "C"
Response set to "slow"

But i have another option of lo and hi?

lo 30~100db
hi 60~130db

What do i set it to? There is a significant difference when i switch between the 2, almost 10db difference possibly more

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
As is so often true common knowledge is dead wrong!

There is little power below 80 Hz. I can assure the real power range is 80 to 2.5 KHz.

In addition the area below 80 Hz coincides with the tuning peaks of impedance and so that range stresses amps very little.

You just think a lot of power is required because subs are so inefficient.

There is the odd movie effect that takes some peak power, but bay and large there are not large power demands below 80 Hz.

If your bass system is efficient, that means large, then the power required for the sib range is not large.

In any event I have power to spare, 3.5 KW from 14 power amp channels. They all just coast.

Truth is is that most modern speakers using 5-6.5 inch drivers are not efficient from 15-80hz. Subs are self powered and designed to play those frequencies better. Why duplicate this with your main speakers and chew that power from your amp when the sub is already doing it? As for low bass chewing power from the amp being fa
Hi guys

I went out and bought a sound meter for $75, thought i would calibrate things properly.

A little confused

Weighting set to "C"
Response set to "slow"

But i have another option of lo and hi?

lo 30~100db
hi 60~130db

What do i set it to? There is a significant difference when i switch between the 2, almost 10db difference possibly more

Once you set the volume knob on your amp to where you usually listen to music, what the SPL meter registers is somewhat irrelevant so long as you get a solid reading. Set response to 'slow' but so long as you are getting a good reading, the important thing is to set all your speakers to the SAME SPL db reading via the pink noise output. Whatever setting gives you the highest and cleanest reading is the one I would use.

F

faz668

Enthusiast
Still confused about the Low or hi option though, the weight and response to slow is fine but the hi and lo setting on the spl gives a 10db difference even in a normal room.

for example im now in the study and if i select lo i get 47db and on hi i get 58db

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
All you want to do is to get all your speakers out putting the SAME db level when you run the pink noise from your amp from speaker to speaker. The low setting on your SPL meter will be more sensitive. If you normally set your volume on your amp quite loud, then I would choose the HI option on the meter. Just make sure that all the speakers are matched to giving you the SAME db level on your meter.

F

faz668

Enthusiast
yeah never mind i was doing something stupid, the hi and lo setting was just the starting point

F

faz668

Enthusiast
I have set them to 77.db each is that okay or shall i lower it to 75db all round, that would mean that the speaker db settings would now be around -1 -2

The sub is kind of strange to adjust i may just do that by ear

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have set them to 77.db each is that okay or shall i lower it to 75db all round, that would mean that the speaker db settings would now be around -1 -2

The sub is kind of strange to adjust i may just do that by ear
It really does not matter, as long as you have it set the same. What about the center, to you have to increase the power to the center to get the same spl as the mains?

F

faz668

Enthusiast
Nope the center is pretty much same db but i have increased it by +1.5db just for better dialogue, i think the issue i was initially having with the low dialogue was simply now having the volume high enough as i was still breaking the speakers in, 1 question though, might sound stupid but....

My AV has a max setting of +16db I have had it limited to 0db to prevent damage, now when i play a ps4 game etc -10db is plenty loud however some blu ray movies i play -10db is more like playing the ps4 at -20/-30db , so in this case if i unrestricted the AV receiver from the 0db limit that i put in place and turn it up to say +5 / 10db for movies which outputs the same volume as say running a ps4 game at -10db is that safe? Can i do that? or does it mean if i went +5/10db the amp is working extra hard regardless of the output from the speakers?

Basically -20db on ps4 has the same noise out put as 0db on SOME blu rays, was just wondering if it was safe to take the 0db limit off that i set and perhaps take it up to +10db that way it would sound the same if not slightly louder than playing the ps4 games at -20db

D

Dreko

Enthusiast
Hello there. I have a denon 710 and it behave the same way so i think is somethink common. Blue ray sounds kind of low and music is much better. i agree with Dan movie mixer are a mess. My sugestion when you watch movie on BD just cranck the volume up. I think it will get pretty loud before you get to max volume. If you av receiver is for movie mostly set it up with movie. I normally play like three or four when I'm setting thinks up. And if dialogue still to low just adjust the level for the center for that particular movie. One think is for my understanding the rz serie from Onkyo are kind hard to set up, so patiance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis