Onkyo TX-NR787 9.2CH AVR w/AccuEQ Advance!!!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Onkyo is now shipping the TX-NR787 avr that has an improved version of AccuEQ Advance*. Accordingly, the new and improved version of AccuEQ is said to eliminate standing waves altogether. Here is a link:

https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR787&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

Here is more info regarding AccuEQ Advance*:

http://accueq.onkyousa.com/

Sure seems promising. However, it could also be a lot of marketing as well. I like the look too. Guess we shall see if AccuEQ Advance is really all that much improved, no?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Makes me wonder if it's some form of MCACC....
I was actually thinking the same thing. Something is certainly going on there. Looking forward to seeing some reviews. Sad to hear about Onkyo financial woes though.

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was actually thinking the same thing. Something is certainly going on there. Looking forward to seeing some reviews. Sad to hear about Onkyo financial woes though.

Cheers,

Phil
I was kind of hoping they'd do something with the Dirac distributorship Pioneer has, but that may be too steep a royalty or something....but we'll see what Gibson does with their stake in the Onkyos (something like 16% of parent Onkyo, majority stake in Onkyo USA).

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I was kind of hoping they'd do something with the Dirac distributorship Pioneer has, but that may be too steep a royalty or something....but we'll see what Gibson does with their stake in the Onkyos (something like 16% of parent Onkyo, majority stake in Onkyo USA).
Have a feeling that both Onkyo and Pioneer's home division will be sold very soon. Chances are very good that Sound United will be their new owners. It could be a good thing though. Who really knows. Guess we will all know soon enough.

Cheers,

Phil

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Have a feeling that both Onkyo and Pioneer's home division will be sold very soon. Chances are very good that Sound United will be their new owners. It could be a good thing though. Who really knows. Guess we will all know soon enough.

Cheers,

Phil
Not likely that Sound United would buy, they have enough CE audio brands..
More probable is that a Chinese/Hong Kong financial holding company will purchase controlling interest..
TCL has already purchased the Onkyo brand to apply for video products..

Just my $0.02... ;)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Not likely that Sound United would buy, they have enough CE audio brands..
More probable is that a Chinese/Hong Kong financial holding company will purchase controlling interest..
TCL has already purchased the Onkyo brand to apply for video products..

Just my $0.02... ;)
You do make a good point. But, it would be cool to see Sound United buy both. Things certainly would get interesting. Stranger things have happened. I do agree though that it is NOT likely. We shall see soon enough.

Cheers,

Phil

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Just announced..
VTech Holdings Limited(Hong Kong) has signed an agreement with Pioneer Corporation under which VTech will acquire a manufacturing facility in Malaysia owned by Pioneer Technology (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd., a subsidiary of Pioneer Corporation...

Just my $0.02... ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
But, it would be cool to see Sound United buy both. Things certainly would get interesting.
It would not be cool nor interesting. It would give them a near monopoly on AVRs, with the only other major manufacturers being Yamaha and Sony. It would depress innovation and lessen competition. That never ends well.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It would not be cool nor interesting. It would give them a near monopoly on AVRs, with the only other major manufacturers being Yamaha and Sony. It would depress innovation and lessen competition. That never ends well.
You have a point Shady. Never really thought about that. By the look of things Vtech is coming to the rescue. Will be interesting to see exactly what Vtech does following their purchase of the Pioneer manufacturing plant in Malaysia.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
If their AVRs work as well as their phones have in the recent past...not good news at all.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wow this receiver looks like a real game changer for the price. WE just did a little preview article here:
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/onkyo-tx-nr787
I like that their automated EQ system only addresses low frequencies. That automatically puts it above MCACC, Audyssey, and YPAO for me. Stop wasting processing power for the full band.

So long as this doesn't have a flaky HDMI board, it looks like a winner to me.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hopefully, this is an indication that Onkyo understands that they need to discount AVR's to regain their foothold in the marketplace and develop a reputation for reliably.
If so, I am impressed. Given their uncertain future, it would be easier to just milk what ever last value they could out of the Onkyo name, than to forego profits today with an eye towards future payoff. They seem to be playing a long-term game. I hope their new owners are committed to keeping them in the market as a major player as well!
I guess for the standard BestBuy shopper, the absence of pre-outs is not a big deal, but I'd have a hard time buying an AVR which doesn't provide the option to use external amps should the need arise.

As a side note: Whereas 5 years ago I would not even give the THX certification a "meh", it seems today a relevant assurance that the amp section is competent!
I don't know how much THX cert costs them, but now would be the wrong time to drop it.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Onkyo has always offered excellent features for the most part. Their amp sections have almost always been just as impressive. But, going to AccuEQ from Audyssey really hurt them in the long run. Not to mention the notorious HDMI board issues due to excessive heat.

However, it does look like Onkyo is headed in the right direction. That is, at least they are improving AccuEQ. Moreover, AccuEQ Advance is said to treat reflective surfaces and eliminate standing waves. Guess we will all know soon enough just how effective the improvements are.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Guess we'll just have to wait for an actual test to see how good the amp section actually is. Good to know about only affecting lower frequencies (and assume that means otoh it can't do anything but even if you wanted to?).

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I like that their automated EQ system only addresses low frequencies. That automatically puts it above MCACC, Audyssey, and YPAO for me. Stop wasting processing power for the full band.

So long as this doesn't have a flaky HDMI board, it looks like a winner to me.
Shady, can you elaborate a bit more on only addressing the low frequencies? I know that in most rooms it is below 200 Hz the creates the most problems from what I understand. Is that what you are referring to? It is also my understanding that the HDMI boards issues are no longer an issue for Onkyo. But, I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady, can you elaborate a bit more on only addressing the low frequencies? I know that in most rooms it is below 200 Hz the creates the most problems from what I understand. Is that what you are referring to? It is also my understanding that the HDMI boards issues are no longer an issue for Onkyo. But, I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Phil
Yes, the best thing an EQing system like this can do is address the low frequency peaks from room modes. I do not want it interfering with the response above that point. Above the transition frequency, the character of the speaker itself will determine the response, so the speaker should be what is used to gain a good response in this band. Traditional automated room EQ systems can hurt a good speaker more than they can help. They can only really assist a deeply flawed speaker in this range. The only EQing that I would even consider above the room's transition frequency are methods that do not interfere with the time domain, like Dirac, Trinnov, or the wavelet system from Bohmer Audio.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis