Onkyo, Pioneer Fiscal Year Ends Soon with Looming Bankruptcy.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
By all outward appearances, Onkyo & Pioneer look like they'll be back in full force when their new receivers start hitting the market in June. But there are lingering financial problems from the year that was 2020, as an important fiscal year deadline looms at the end of March. I wish Onkyo the best of luck and a strong 2021, if its new line of AV receivers are looking competitive.

Full editorial here:
Onkyo, Pioneer Looking Strong in Fight to Survive 2021
onkyo-pio.jpeg

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Several of us would like to see Onkyo and Pioneer, recover and succeed...
But to achieve this they need to deliver rather than just send out rosy press releases..
IMHO...
Delivery by June, 2021 is not realistic.. :rolleyes:
Implementing Dirac and having the full video capability of HDMI 2.1 is a steep challenge and requires significant development, testing, debugging, certification and then on to mass production. And considering the silicon shortages.. My estimate would be delivery in 1st quarter 2022...

Just my $0.02... ;)

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Several of us would like to see Onkyo and Pioneer, recover and succeed...
But to achieve this they need to deliver rather than just send out rosy press releases..
IMHO...
Delivery by June, 2021 is not realistic.. :rolleyes:
Implementing Dirac and having the full video capability of HDMI 2.1 is a steep challenge and requires significant development, testing, debugging, certification and then on to mass production. And considering the silicon shortages.. My estimate would be delivery in 1st quarter 2022...

Just my $0.02... ;)
According to its presentation at this year's virtual CES, they said June through August, so maybe the receivers without Dirac will arrive in June, or they'll all just be delayed. It's certainly possible nothing will come and Onkyo will either be sold or just go out of business in the next week or so.

But the lower price-point receivers won't have Dirac so maybe it'll be easier to ship them sooner.

Big-Q

Big-Q

Junior Audioholic
To me this is good news. I own three Onkyo products and love them all. A DX-C730 CD Changer (bought in 1998 and still working), a C-7030 CD player (bought Jan. 2020), and a TX-NR3008 Receiver (bought for $50 at an estate sale). Yes the receiver had a bad HDMI board but it has been replaced ($600) and the receiver works great. I have always like Onkyo products and would hate to see this company disappear.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Another happy Onkyo AVR owner - TX-SR805 - To me, that model is a rebel - it packed more features and power than its peers and it shameless about it. What Onkyo needs to service is to stop playing silly games like adding pre-outs only on mid to top-end model. It doesn't need to have one killer feature, it just needs to do things really well and be priced lower than D&M models.
As for Audyssey vs Dirac - they shouldn't be shy to show its benefits. This isn't the time of typical Japanese reserved nature, this is time to shout out from rooftops and prove it.
One classical issue - voice clarity - FFS - try to measure it and address it to the best of your knowledge/technology. It can't be that hard to address it at least partially with DSP?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Another happy Onkyo AVR owner - TX-SR805 - To me, that model is a rebel - it packed more features and power than its peers and it shameless about it. What Onkyo needs to service is to stop playing silly games like adding pre-outs only on mid to top-end model. It doesn't need to have one killer feature, it just needs to do things really well and be priced lower than D&M models.
As for Audyssey vs Dirac - they shouldn't be shy to show its benefits. This isn't the time of typical Japanese reserved nature, this is time to shout out from rooftops and prove it.
One classical issue - voice clarity - FFS - try to measure it and address it to the best of your knowledge/technology. It can't be that hard to address it at least partially with DSP?
Couldn’t agree more. The 805 was a beast. You probably could weld with it. I had an 808(not quite as powerful but still measured very well, and also a beast). And I remember reading lots of reviews from the time of the 805 and foreword, and it seem like after the 818 was where they really fizzled out. I have longed for Dirac in an AVR for a long time and I think it would be great to give audyssey some competition, if not more. No complaints on my Marantz, but have historically liked Onkyo for the return on investment. Also have a pioneer in my bedroom that’s nice.
Would like to see them succeed.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I hope (and think) that ONKYO will stay alive. There 2 channel receivers in particular are quite good in my opinion. Maybe they should aim for the 2 channel market that appears to be coming back. I have a TX-8511 and a TX-8011 - both used. They both sound better than any home theater receivers I’ve owned or heard.

W

WayCoolJr.

Audiophyte
I really hope they survive...and thrive. Relatively newish to the Onkyo game, but with what I have, I could not be happier. Running a PR-RZ5100 prepro as my main A/V hub, and their PA-MC5100 9ch power amplifier. I absolutely love this processor. It replaced a Marantz AV7702, and to this day I say that, modern Marantz gear is severely overrated. I also had a Marantz MM7702 2ch. power amplifier that was the most gutless "140W per ch." amp that I have ever owned. Marantz is a phenomenal marketing company, that's for sure. The PR-RZ5100 is better than the 7702 in literally every aspect. Build quality, performance, ease of use, mobile app, you name it. Excited to see what is to come from Onkyo.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I hope they survive also, Integra made really nice gear. Their HT processors and receivers were really good quality. Also intrigued me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Sad to see such historic brands in trouble. The brand names will probably be purchased and live on.

S

Spkrdctr

Audiophyte
Unless they go private (ger bought out), they are toast.

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Maybe I’m wrong. But I thought onkyo Japan was independent of onkyo pioneer of 12 trading partners?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe I’m wrong. But I thought onkyo Japan was independent of onkyo pioneer of 12 trading partners?
Brain fart on previous post. 11trading is the distribution arm of Voxx replacing Onkyo USA distribution. Onkyo in Japan is a separate company.

E

EBN

Audioholic
Nice to see more competition. D&M has had it too easily for while. This should be wake up call for Yamaha to move from YPAO to something better. Denon is already in talks for Dirac Live for future. Let`s put the upcoming models here too.

Here's what we know about Onkyo's 2021 receiver range:

Onkyo TX-NR5100
  • 5.2.2 channels
  • 80 watts per channel (stereo)
  • Four HDMI inputs and two outputs (with eARC)
  • $499 (June)
Onkyo TX-NR6100
  • 5.2.2 channels
  • 100 watts per channel (stereo)
  • Six HDMI inputs and two outputs (with eARC)
  • $699 (August)
Onkyo TX-NR7100
  • 7.2.2 channels
  • Seven HDMI inputs (one front) and two outputs (with eARC)
  • Dirac Live calibration
  • $899 (June)
Onkyo TX-RZ50

• 7.2.2 channels
  • 120 watts per channel stereo
  • Seven HDMI inputs (one front), two outputs (with eARC)
  • Dirac Live calibration
  • $1,099 (June)

Pioneer's models include the following receivers.

Pioneer Elite VSX-LX105
  • 5.2.2 channels
  • Six HDMI inputs, two outputs
  • 80 watts per channel
  • $699 (August)
Pioneer Elite VSX-LX305
  • 7.2.2 channels
  • Seven HDMI inputs (one in front), two outputs
  • 100 watts per channel
  • Dirac Live calibration
  • $999 (June)
Pioneer Elite VSX-LX505
  • 7.2.2 channels
  • 120 watts per channel
  • Dirac Live calibration
Meanwhile ,Onkyo offshoot Integra will include three new models: the $800 DRX-2.4 (August), the $1,200 DRX-3.4 (June), and the $1,900 DRX-5.4 (June).

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Nice to see more competition. D&M has had it too easily for while. This should be wake up call for Yamaha to move from YPAO to something better. Denon is already in talks for Dirac Live for future. Let`s put the upcoming models here too.

Here's what we know about Onkyo's 2021 receiver range:

Onkyo TX-NR5100
  • 5.2.2 channels
  • 80 watts per channel (stereo)
  • Four HDMI inputs and two outputs (with eARC)
  • $499 (June)
Onkyo TX-NR6100
  • 5.2.2 channels
  • Six HDMI inputs and two outputs (with eARC)
  • $699 (August)
Onkyo TX-NR7100
  • 7.2.2 channels
  • Seven HDMI inputs (one front) and two outputs (with eARC)
  • Dirac Live calibration
  • $899 (June)
Onkyo TX-RZ50

• 7.2.2 channels
  • 120 watts per channel stereo
  • Seven HDMI inputs (one front), two outputs (with eARC)
  • Dirac Live calibration
  • $1,099 (June)

Pioneer's models include the following receivers.

Pioneer Elite VSX-LX105
  • 5.2.2 channels
  • Six HDMI inputs, two outputs
  • 80 watts per channel
  • $699 (August)
Pioneer Elite VSX-LX305
  • 7.2.2 channels
  • 100 watts per channel
  • Dirac Live calibration
  • $999 (June)
Pioneer Elite VSX-LX505
  • 7.2.2 channels
  • 120 watts per channel
  • Dirac Live calibration
Meanwhile ,Onkyo offshoot Integra will include three new models: the $800 DRX-2.4 (August), the $1,200 DRX-3.4 (June), and the $1,900 DRX-5.4 (June).
Woa woa woa! Denon is in talks to get Dirac live? Man I heard that is way better than Audyssey even is and Audyssey is no slouch. Good info, thanks.

E

EBN

Audioholic
Woa woa woa! Denon is in talks to get Dirac live? Man I heard that is way better than Audyssey even is and Audyssey is no slouch. Good info, thanks.

Saw that at AVSForum before the 700 range models was released, some Denon insider at German said they are considering it. I think D&M will keep very close watch how Onkyo and Pioneer sells with Dirac and the feedback. I`m puzzled why Yamaha engineers still living in stone age, unless they have done some critical changes to the YPAO version of upcoming top three models.

@M Code Onkyo and Pioneer will ship the cheaper mic with these units, so Umik-1 or similar better one is likely bought for those who want best results from Dirac. Check the price of Onkyo NR7100 / LX305 and Denon X3700H (1300$), how they can sell it so cheap? While people are always saying the fees company has to pay are higher for Dirac than for Audussey. I thought the pricing would have been higher than for D&M products, but quite the opposite.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Saw that at AVSForum before the 700 range models was released, some Denon insider at German said they are considering it. I think D&M will keep very close watch how Onkyo and Pioneer sells with Dirac and the feedback. I`m puzzled why Yamaha engineers still living in stone age, unless they have done some critical changes to the YPAO version of upcoming top three models.

@M Code Onkyo and Pioneer will ship the cheaper mic with these units, so Umik-1 or similar better one is likely bought for those who want best results from Dirac. Check the price of Onkyo NR7100 / LX305 and Denon X3700H (1300$), how they can sell it so cheap? While people are always saying the fees company has to pay are higher for Dirac than for Audussey.
Will the avrs have the ability to incorporate the calibration files from other mics or is Dirac in these avrs done via external computer that can accommodate any mic calibration file?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis