Onkyo M-5000R Power Amplifier First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Do we need the M-5000R amplifier? Probably not. Do we want one? Oh yeah, you bet. While $2500 a pop isn't chump change, in the world of high end amplifiers, it isn't too bad. And considering the price of the amps they are obvious borrowing a few styling cues from (cough McIntosh cough), they are a positive steal. If you are going to charge a bunch for your high end gear, you should shove them full of high end parts and technology. It seems that Onkyo has once again done that. The P-3000R Preamp has everything a budding audiophile could want except XLR outputs and the C-7000R CD player has all the bells and whistles. What's most exciting about these sorts of products is not that we ever expect to own them but how they show that Onkyo is pushing their technological know-how. And knowing Onkyo, it'll only be a few years before we start seeing all of this in their receivers. And those are something we can afford.

Discuss "Onkyo M-5000R Power Amplifier First Look" here. Read the article.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I just wanna second your first impression " gotta have it " that is a sexy beast indeed. :)

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Looks more like the old 5xx series to me

I owned an Onkyo M-506 with the green lighted meters. I've attached a picture of the Onkyo Grand Integra M-508. Those were some hot amps.........

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Do we need the M-5000R amplifier? Probably not. Do we want one? Oh yeah, you bet. While $2500 a pop isn't chump change, in the world of high end amplifiers, it isn't too bad. And considering the price of the amps they are obvious borrowing a few styling cues from (cough McIntosh cough), they are a positive steal. If you are going to charge a bunch for your high end gear, you should shove them full of high end parts and technology. It seems that Onkyo has once again done that. The P-3000R Preamp has everything a budding audiophile could want except XLR outputs and the C-7000R CD player has all the bells and whistles. What's most exciting about these sorts of products is not that we ever expect to own them but how they show that Onkyo is pushing their technological know-how. And knowing Onkyo, it'll only be a few years before we start seeing all of this in their receivers. And those are something we can afford.

Discuss "Onkyo M-5000R Power Amplifier First Look" here. Read the article.
For that much money the thing should push 400 watts per channel continuous into a four ohm load. None of this dynamic power BS at that price point.

Do I want one? No, for that money with those specs I'd avoid it like the plague. For that money you can do a lot better.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
At that price point, not only should it have much more power output, but Onkyo has no reason to limit the unit's XLR connection abilities to running only as a monoblock. The connections to have two verses one XLR can't be a price point decision as it would have only added a few dollars at most to add a second XLR input beside the second RCA... I like my McIntosh, Marantz & Altec amps and their power meters, but I wouldn't have a single one just for the meters, and that's all this amp has going for it is appearance to me.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
At that price point, not only should it have much more power output, but Onkyo has no reason to limit the unit's XLR connection abilities to running only as a monoblock. The connections to have two verses one XLR can't be a price point decision as it would have only added a few dollars at most to add a second XLR input beside the second RCA... I like my McIntosh, Marantz & Altec amps and their power meters, but I wouldn't have a single one just for the meters, and that's all this amp has going for it is appearance to me.
Right on target!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder what one can get new from Bryston for that much money. :p My answer to the gotta have is a "nope, not interested"

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
I wonder what one can get new from Bryston for that much money.
This is Bryston 2B SST2 is their 100 watt per channel stereo amp that you can get for $2975 retail. It's their smallest amplifier, but it has a higher output than the Onkyo, and Bryston still has the best warranty of any amplifier company I know (20 year warranty). If one was remotely considering the Onkyo, they'd be foolish to not spring and extra $475 for the Bryston IMO.
http://bryston.com/2bsst_m.html

DTS-HD MA

DTS-HD MA

Junior Audioholic
I owned an Onkyo M-506 with the green lighted meters. I've attached a picture of the Onkyo Grand Integra M-508. Those were some hot amps.........
Wow! That's nice, I'm still clinging on 3 M-504's (poor man Mac's)..:D:D:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Even though that amp is only rated 80 watts per channel I'm pretty sure it's grossly underrated. I'm just saying, 108,000uF of block capacitance isn't in there for nothing.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
Even though that amp is only rated 80 watts per channel I'm pretty sure it's grossly underrated. I'm just saying, 108,000uF of block capacitance isn't in there for nothing.
Add the fact it weigh's in 50lbs.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Add the fact it weigh's in 50lbs.
I doubt it is enough underrated to be worth anywhere near the asking price. It seems to me to be another pretty amplifier that costs way more than it should, which is typical of very expensive amplifiers.

Here you can get a 75 pound amplifier for $799 that is rated at 300 watts RMS x 2 into 8 ohms, 500 watts RMS x 2 into 4 ohms:

http://emotiva.com/xpa2.shtm

I would like to see a "shootout" between these two.

Here is a bit closer in price (you'll need two for stereo), though still cheaper:

http://emotiva.com/xpa1.shtm

I am sure the new Onkyo is a fine amplifier, but I would be exceedingly surprised if it could outdo the competition at or below its price point.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I am sure the new Onkyo is a fine amplifier, but I would be exceedingly surprised if it could outdo the competition at or below its price point.
Even if it did out do the competition I would not spend that kind of money on it, and I'm a huge Onkyo fan.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Why is there only one XLR in on the amp? Gotta be for Mono operation. But WHY?

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I posted about these three new pieces in a separate thread I created before I was made aware that this thread existed; I, too, like dapack, am a dedicated Onkyo fan, but these pieces are grossly overpriced IMO. The market these are targeted towards is so specific and niche-regulated that it's difficult to believe the company even made the decision to take a chance and offer some new products in the two channel audiophile circut. Indeed, the Emotiva would make for an interesting shootout for the Onkyo amp, and I am not quite sure where this is going to fit in within today's marketplace -- I mean, I wanted the A-9555 integrated but couldn't afford it (so I went with the TX-8555 stereo receiver) and I thought that amp was a bit pricey and teetering on the audiophile side of the river; now, they come along and release these three beasts and while really nice looking, I don't know what to make of the price point...

I wonder if the CD player in this trio can outperform, or claim to, the player that was released as the companion piece for the A-9555...

I, too, have an issue with the power rating of this really expensive power amp -- I understand what the specs suggest, but really...80 watts X 2 at this price point?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
With a low budget amplifier, they have to cut corners somewhere.;)
Low Budget? Were you being sarcastic?
The wink ";)" was to indicate that it was a joke. With an amplifier at that price point, Onkyo has no excuse for leaving off such an inexpensive feature. If it is a good thing to have an XLR input for mono operation, it is a good thing to have it for stereo.

While I am at it, I might as well add that it is ridiculous that it is rated for 4 ohm speakers or above at that price point (see picture here). For that kind of money, it should be able to handle 2 ohms at least. Or maybe serve you breakfast in bed. It is just ridiculous what they are asking for that thing, given its ratings.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
The wink ";)" was to indicate that it was a joke. With an amplifier at that price point, Onkyo has no excuse for leaving off such an inexpensive feature. If it is a good thing to have an XLR input for mono operation, it is a good thing to have it for stereo.
Gotcha.

While I am at it, I might as well add that it is ridiculous that it is rated for 4 ohm speakers or above at that price point (see picture here). For that kind of money, it should be able to handle 2 ohms at least. Or maybe serve you breakfast in bed. It is just ridiculous what they are asking for that thing, given its ratings.
Wow. 2 ohms is pretty low; I don't see many pieces of gear anymore even claiming to be able to power that kind of load. But I definitely see your point.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
You know what I noticed? This thing won't power an 8 ohm speaker?? Do I see that right?

Also -- did anyone notice how far apart the spread is for the left and right RCA inputs?? :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis