Onkyo AVR: 4K @ 60hz, HDR/Dolby Vision "flicker"

S

shadow83blk

Enthusiast
I want to thank everyone for their help, I think I found one of my problems, my laptop only has HDMI 1.4 and from what I am reading you need HDMI 2.2 for real HDR. I started going down this path when I was in my Display settings Windows HD color settings and noticed when I selected the AV receiver all of the HDR lines showed NO and there was no way to turn them on. The audio blip may be a problem in the receiver since I am getting it while streaming BT music from my Pixel as well. I purchased this receiver refurbished so might be.

I have my eye on the Denon AVR-S650H or AVR-S750H or maybe the Sony STRDH790

buyok

buyok

Audiophyte
Hi everybody!
I have read the topic very thoughtful, still can't find a source of my problem.

I have:
- Onkyo TX-NR686 receiver
- Samsung TV which does support 60Hz 4K YCbCr 4.2.2 8 bit per channel with HDR on
- Play Station 5 (PS5)
- Sony HDMI 2.1 cable (PS5 - Onkyo) and HDMI 2.0 cable (Onkyo - TV)

Everything works fine when I limit 4K transfer rate on the PlayStation with YCbCr 4.2.0. Even with 36 bit (12 per channel).

Once I swith my video output in PS5 settings to YCbCr 4.2.2 screen starts flicker.
4k Enchanced setting on my receiver is ON.
Looking at the receiver specs it should support YCbCr4:4:4 (8 bit), YCbCr4:2:2 (12 bit), YCbCr4:2:0 (8/10/12 bit)

Direct connection PS5 - TV works well with 4.2.2 rate.
So I assume the problem is in the receiver.

My only guess that it is stipulated in the manual that YCbCr4:2:2 is 12 bit. So does that mean that my receiver may not support YCbCr4:2:2 in 8 bit? However pressing info button on remote shows that reveicer works at YCbCr 422 24 bit.

Does someone have a solution? Thanks.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What is the model of the Samsung TV and what happens if you connect the PS5 directly to the TV using the HDMI 2.0 cable? Going from 2.1 to 2.0 cable may be the issue. You can rule it out if 2.0 cable works with PS5 connected directly to the TV.

buyok

buyok

Audiophyte
Samsung 55NU7100 .
TV - PS5 works fine directly with both 2.0 and 2.1.

Also after reconnecting from TV - PS to PS -AV - TV it might be one hour without flickering, then is starts again.
I will try reconecting using only 2.0 cables.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Samsung 55NU7100 .
TV - PS5 works fine directly with both 2.0 and 2.1.

Also after reconnecting from TV - PS to PS -AV - TV it might be one hour without flickering, then is starts again.
I will try reconecting using only 2.0 cables.
I bet there is still some video processing enabled. My Onkyo 809 had settings in multiple places, but once I found all the things to turn off, issues went away.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis