Onkyo and Pioneer receivers getting Dirac Live

E

EBN

Audioholic
Onkyo and Pioneer Ink Licensing Agreement with Dirac Research

In a move that could potentially reshape the AV Receiver marketplace, Onkyo and Pioneer have reached a licensing agreement with Dirac Research for use of its popular Dirac Live room correction suite. As reported by Yahoo! Japan and confirmed by AV NIRVANA, future Onkyo and Pioneer gear will benefit from Dirac’s feature-rich technology.

Details concerning the licensing agreement, including a product rollout schedule, are minimal at this time. What we do know is that Pioneer’s MCACC room correction package and Onkyo’s AccuEQ calibration tool are largely thought to be inferior to Audyssey, Dirac, and other premium correction products, especially when considering low-frequency capabilities. Adding Dirac’s powerful technololgies will catapult both brands back into the conversation, leveling the playing field with the likes of Denon and Marantz, and further widening the gap with companies such as Sony.

This move also boosts Dirac’s aggressive infiltration of the home theater and personal audio market in North America. Some of the more notable brands to begin working with Dirac over the last year (plus) include Monoprice’s Monolith brand, Klipsch, RHA, and Emotiva. Bringing Onkyo and Pioneer into the fold will only further consumer awareness as the technology’s incredible capabilities are experienced and touted by mainstream buyers.

Yamaha please wake up! YPAO soon the worst correction software with Sonys crap. :(

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This really is potentially game changing. I might have to start learning more about Dirac the next time I consider a new AVR. I'm satisfied with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 currently, but it does have limitations and I'm familiar with them. I don't know much about Dirac beyond that it's favored over MultEQ in some circles.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Pioneer/Onkyo needs a marketing shot in the arm to kick-start their market re-entry deal with Klipsch..
Though many users tout 1 EQ scheme over another but...
Sadly they never do a unit-to-unit comparison... :rolleyes:
The CE market needs more competitors besides D&M and Yamaha, hopefully their re-entry market start is successful....

Just my $0.02... ;)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

In a move that could potentially reshape the AV Receiver marketplace, Onkyo and Pioneer have reached a licensing agreement with Dirac Research for use of its popular Dirac Live room correction suite. As reported by Yahoo! Japan and confirmed by AV NIRVANA, future Onkyo and Pioneer gear will benefit from Dirac’s feature-rich technology.

Details concerning the licensing agreement, including a product rollout schedule, are minimal at this time. What we do know is that Pioneer’s MCACC room correction package and Onkyo’s AccuEQ calibration tool are largely thought to be inferior to Audyssey, Dirac, and other premium correction products, especially when considering low-frequency capabilities. Adding Dirac’s powerful technololgies will catapult both brands back into the conversation, leveling the playing field with the likes of Denon and Marantz, and further widening the gap with companies such as Sony.

This move also boosts Dirac’s aggressive infiltration of the home theater and personal audio market in North America. Some of the more notable brands to begin working with Dirac over the last year (plus) include Monoprice’s Monolith brand, Klipsch, RHA, and Emotiva. Bringing Onkyo and Pioneer into the fold will only further consumer awareness as the technology’s incredible capabilities are experienced and touted by mainstream buyers.

Yamaha please wake up! YPAO soon the worst correction software with Sonys crap. :(
Man that's sweet! @AcuDefTechGuy, whats your thoughts on this? Onkyo and Pioneer done went and dropped Da
646677DE-2B8A-4413-8D51-34828FF66FD0.gif

on Yamahas fake ARC! :)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

Yamaha YPAO is ok, it won't help you dial in two subs.

E

EBN

Audioholic
Come on, YPAO isn't as bad as DCAC, is it? I wondered if this was a possibility a while back for Pioneer https://www.audioholics.com/av-news/pioneer-dirac-partnership
Probably not as bad, but why they can´t example get the subwoofer eq with the auto setup to same level as XT32. For so many years it has been mentioned on reviews and owners cursing that they pay 2k for machine and are left with boomy bass. Yamaha should have the knowledge and expertise. We are living in year of 2020, they should come out from the closet to internet forums and see what people really want. Not some silly AI features or DSP modes!

@Matthew J Poes should be doing real world comparison with Dirac, Audussey, YPAO etc. I hope he is still on it!
I have also asked Amir to do review with measurements for the YPAO he has on the A1080, 64bit version.

Similar to this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audyssey-room-eq-review.12746/

E

EBN

Audioholic
Yamaha YPAO is ok, it won't help you dial in two subs.
From RX-A2080 upwards there is individual level/distance setup for two subwoofers, but the correction the auto setup does is not good enough. And the manual peq has 4 bands only. Not sure does the poor mic still has the limitation for 31hz. I expect 3k$ product like RX-A8A to do things cheap Denon has done since X3300W came to market. We will see.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
While Dirac can bring about improvements in some circumstances, it is a pain in the ass to use correctly and may still have some stability issues. Unless those problems have been solved, I don't see its widespread deployment as a reason for celebration. If you don't use it correctly, it can give you worse results than if it were not used at all, and I am guessing it won't often be used correctly.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
While Dirac can bring about improvements in some circumstances, it is a pain in the ass to use correctly and may still have some stability issues. Unless those problems have been solved, I don't see its widespread deployment as a reason for celebration. If you don't use it correctly, it can give you worse results than if it were not used at all, and I am guessing it won't often be used correctly.
I am not sure if it can time align multiple subs either. I have only used the 2 channel beta version, I hope the multichannel version can do better than Audyssey.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Man that's sweet! @AcuDefTechGuy, whats your thoughts on this? Onkyo and Pioneer done went and dropped Da
View attachment 39896
on Yamahas fake ARC! :)
It might matter if I have not listened and compared Dirac, Audyssey, and Anthem ARC.

But since I have listened to them, I don't care for any of them. I mean even if Yamaha had XT32, Dirac, ARC, Trinnov, I still wouldn't use it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It might matter if I have not listened and compared Dirac, Audyssey, and Anthem ARC.

But since I have listened to them, I don't care for any of them. I mean even if Yamaha had XT32, Dirac, ARC, Trinnov, I still wouldn't use it.
That's because you'd know you were using it?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
From RX-A2080 upwards there is individual level/distance setup for two subwoofers, but the correction the auto setup does is not good enough. And the manual peq has 4 bands only. Not sure does the poor mic still has the limitation for 31hz. I expect 3k$ product like RX-A8A to do things cheap Denon has done since X3300W came to market. We will see.
The Yamaha PEQ goes down to 15Hz now. But since I only PEQ below 80Hz, I don't really need more than 4 bands. But sure it doesn't hurt if they offer more bands.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's because you'd know you were using it?
With Audyssey and YPAO I did that by myself at home. But with Dirac and Anthem ARC, I had someone else switch back and forth at their houses. But I wouldn't consider any of it blind testing.

However, like everyone else, I would like to believe that if the results of Auto EQ were THAT awesome like night and day, I should have been able to tell the difference easily.

And even with so-called audio DBT, it's absolutely nothing like the real drug studies DBT. The salient thing about audio comparisons is being able to switch back and forth immediately. If you can easily hear a night and day difference, then it's for real.

Last edited:
E

EBN

Audioholic
The Yamaha PEQ goes down to 15Hz now. But since I only PEQ below 80Hz, I don't really need more than 4 bands. But sure it doesn't hurt if they offer more bands.
I heard there was some issue with the cheap mic not being happy under the 31hz. Not everyone wants to tweak with REW and buy extra mics etc though. Most people are after the easy plug&play experience like you get with Audussey. Which leads us back to the original post. Accu EQ was quite simple to use and i assume MCACC aswell, but Dirac requires computer and little bit of knowledge. Will they offer it on the higher ranges only and leave the budget models with in house software? :rolleyes:

It looks fairly easy to limit the correction to 300-500hz on the video. I assume the most mistakes happen if doing own curves with the full range correction. For those intrested check 4min clip on 7:11 forward. We could always call @PENG for help though! :D

I am not sure if it can time align multiple subs either. I have only used the 2 channel beta version, I hope the multichannel version can do better than Audyssey.
This is probably soon available if not yet already. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Unless Onkyo/Pioneer changes their position in the market, there will be lots of people who paid serious bucks for NAD/Arcam/Theta Digital/AudioControl gear to get DIRAC who will likely be pissed to see it available in mainstream value-priced Onkyo/Pioneer AVRs!

E

EBN

Audioholic
Unless Onkyo/Pioneer changes their position in the market, there will be lots of people who paid serious bucks for NAD/Arcam/Theta Digital/AudioControl gear to get DIRAC who will likely be pissed to see it available in mainstream value-priced Onkyo/Pioneer AVRs!
Before the new Denon models were introduced some insider guy talked about upcoming 2020 Denons on some video, i don´t know who he is but he said Denon has been in talks about Dirac for their products at some point for future. It was on some AVSF Denon thread. Clearly it´s just a rumour at this point, but still intresting idea and it seems anything is possible. Audussey is getting bit outdated, sure the app helps but in full range correction Dirac and ARC Genesis are still ahead.

I`m going to put some pressure to @Matthew J Poes if he sees this thread. We want to see that comparison! :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah they paid like $4-6K to get Dirac? :D

It would funny if even the $1K MSRP (which means $500 street) Pioneer and Onkyo offered Dirac. :D

Overall I think this is great news. I would like to see everyone being able to listen to Dirac for themselves instead of guessing.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I heard there was some issue with the cheap mic not being happy under the 31hz. Not everyone wants to tweak with REW and buy extra mics etc though. Most people are after the easy plug&play experience like you get with Audussey. Which leads us back to the original post. Accu EQ was quite simple to use and i assume MCACC aswell, but Dirac requires computer and little bit of knowledge. Will they offer it on the higher ranges only and leave the budget models with in house software? :rolleyes:

It looks fairly easy to limit the correction to 300-500hz on the video. I assume the most mistakes happen if doing own curves with the full range correction. For those intrested check 4min clip on 7:11 forward. We could always call @PENG for help though! :D

This is probably soon available if not yet already. :)

Looks easily, but if you checked the results with REW after, you will start going down the same kind of rabbit holes for potentially trial and error. So much hypes, so little facts, sad..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah they paid like $4-6K to get Dirac? :D

It would funny if even the $1K MSRP (which means $500 street) Pioneer and Onkyo offered Dirac. :D

Overall I think this is great news. I would like to see everyone being able to listen to Dirac for themselves instead of guessing.
We both know it is something for something, if Dirac Live charges a higher licensing fees, and if Onkyo wants to maintain or increase profit margin, something else has to go.., just wonder what, may be smaller power supplies, heatsinks, more fans instead, hope not!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis