Onkyo 5508 or Anthem D2V - Can't Decide!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I believe it was the WI GTG. No none picked the Ascends over the Salks which is no suprise, of course (given the price difference). I'd appreciate a link to other GTGs if they involved Salks with the RAAL tweeter.

I personally have no interest in the Philharmonics due to asthetics and the lack of a matching center channel.

Right now the Salks are really the only speakers on my list thought I'm still open to any option at this point. I need a speaker that is super SMOOOOTH however because I am sensitive to bright speakers.

-Brian
Salk makes other speakers of course and I'm speaking of ST with the LCY which were present that day and more of an apples to apples compo..IMO. I not that far outta my mind to compare them to the HT2's or SS's present that day....;).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
End result of a lot of testing was that the subs in the status were so much better cleaner clearer and powerful that the $1500 sub sounded like crap compared with the subs built into the $35000 main speakers.
Price doesn't always reflect quality, though.

Most guys would not debate the woofers in the $35K speakers are high quality.

But to say it makes the $1500 subs sound like "crap" is absolutely debatable considering many subs in this price (Rythmik, SVS, HSU, Funk) have great bass extension, great Q-values of 0.3 - 0.5, and low distortion.

For example, would the ten 10" woofers in the $35K speakers make ten 10" woofers in the RBH Reference SEN-1010 subs ($1.2K each) sound like crap?

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
I would go further by saying that there is no point aruging period. I do think it may be helpful to present different views that may alert thread viewers especially beginners in this hobby, who might otherwise misread stated opinions as facts.
I also forgot he said he got such a good deal, but he could still sell those and go for something else. I see this as a perfect time for him to experiment. Compare the Pricy set up to the Onkyo one and see if you can hear a difference. Features may even make it better to go with the Onkyo as they are very feature rich. I compared an Outlaw to a Theta and I loved some of the extra features of the Theta having every channel able to set different crossover points and even what type of crossover it used, but other than that, there was no real sonic difference so I kept the Outlaw. Some people may hear or think they can hear a difference and they can pick that option. So if he wants to do some experimenting and possibly save some money by selling the Anthem gear, he has that choice by playing around with different set ups. He may just like the higher end gear's appearance or find that it is better. Either way, I have found that if you deal with used gear, it's just time lost as you can sell it for what you buy it for usually.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
For example, would the ten 10" woofers in the $35K speakers make ten 10" woofers in the RBH Reference SEN-1010 subs ($1.2K each) sound like crap?
I think you are on to something. Oh wait, the 12 10" woofers in my Titus ARE the same as 12 10" Reference SEN-1010 subs I think. ^_^ Just a bit of crossover differences and cabinet set up. The new Titus 8T is different though with Beryllium. I wanted to upgrade just because they are supposedly better, but then I remembered that I have PLENTY of bass already. It would just be an ego boost above this.

I have not heard the subs you mentioned, but I would guess the Titus sound better with the aluminum cones. Just a guess though. It would be a good comparison to do someday. The sub I was comparing it too was not likely as nice as those for the price point. I can't remember what it was, but it was very loud and boomy like a car sub rather than an accurate home sub. Some car subs are very nice though. I'd love to compare this to the JL W7 for sound quality. Maybe someday I'll get the Fathom to see. I think that's what it's called.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
the 12 10" woofers in my Titus ARE the same as 12 10" Reference SEN-1010 subs I think. ^_^ Just a bit of crossover differences and cabinet set up. The new Titus 8T is different though with Beryllium.
Yes, twelve 10-inch aluminum woofers = twelve 10-inch aluminum woofers.

Even IF the beryllium woofers are subjectively "better", they won't make the already great aluminum woofers sound bad.

And RBH will probably make a beryllium woofer version for their subs as well. :D

One good thing about modular systems. You sell 2 separate products using the same subwoofer: a full range tower and a dedicated sub. :D

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
I was meaning that the Titus woofers are the same drivers as the RBH 1010-SEN. I think the new Reference line has an upgraded woofer and the Titus 8T now has an even more upgraded woofer. It's all made in the same building there in Utah.

B

Bghead8che

Audioholic Intern
I was meaning that the Titus woofers are the same drivers as the RBH 1010-SEN. I think the new Reference line has an upgraded woofer and the Titus 8T now has an even more upgraded woofer. It's all made in the same building there in Utah.
I'd love to demo a pair of RBH speakers. I cant afford the Titus but I could afford some of their reference line speakers.

-Brian

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Was that not called a T1 and T2 previously?
Yep. They changed the aesthetics and made them rounder and a little prettier. :D

So my dual SX-1010N are the bass cabinets to the the SX-T2 (which is the SX-T1 on top of the SX-1010).

The bass of these RBH subs may not extend as low as some subs, but they are very tight and punchy from above 20Hz.

B

Bghead8che

Audioholic Intern
Yep. They changed the aesthetics and made them rounder and a little prettier. :D

So my dual SX-1010N are the bass cabinets to the the SX-T2 (which is the SX-T1 on top of the SX-1010).

The bass of these RBH subs may not extend as low as some subs, but they are very tight and punchy from above 20Hz.
I'm no closer on the deciding on speakers or the preamp however, my amp decision is finalized. :D

I picked up an 8th month old Anthem P5 for $4K on Ebay. 325 watts all channels driven, stable into 1 ohm, dual power cords, 130 pounds of audio nirvana.

At least I will not have to wonder if I should upgrade my amp anytime soon.

-Brian

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
So we won't hear any complaints about amplification problems for a very long time, if ever! Congrats on a very nice amp!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm no closer on the deciding on speakers or the preamp however, my amp decision is finalized. :D

I picked up an 8th month old Anthem P5 for $4K on Ebay. 325 watts all channels driven, stable into 1 ohm, dual power cords, 130 pounds of audio nirvana.

-Brian
You have no choice but to get an Anthem pre-pro or AVR now. I would. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

-Brian
Congrats on picking up one very formidable amplifier. You will never have to buy another amp again. :) . There is nothing that thing can't drive

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Ooh, nice amp! :D Dang, that's a good deal! I wonder why anyone would sell that beauty at a loss :confused:

For a pre-pro, personally, I'd wait on the inevitable Integra DHC-80.4 or whatever it ends up being called. The pre-pro based on the Onkyo TX-NR3010/5010 platform, in any case ;) Or you could just pick up a TX-NR3010 / DTR-70.4 / TX-NR5010 receiver and forego the internal amps in favor of the RCA pre-outs. The Anthem P5 is single-ended anyway, so other than canceling out any noise picked up by the very short cable runs between the receiver and P5 amp, XLR balanced connections wouldn't add any benefit anyway ;)

Using one of the top tier Onkyo/Integra receivers also opens up the possibility of adding surround back, height and width channels in the future, using the built-in amps in the receiver to power those. So not a terrible idea to go the receiver route in any event :)

As for speakers, I'd be checking out some Focal Electra Be 2 setups, myself. Love me some of that Beryllium tweeter :D Although they're fairly efficient and quite easy to drive, and won't come even remotely close to taxing that P5 amp of yours :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'd be checking out some Focal Electra Be 2 setups, myself. Love me some of that Beryllium tweeter :D
I wonder what is the least expensive beryllium tweeter speaker out there?

Is it the Focal Solo6 Be @ $2700/pr?

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
I wonder what is the least expensive beryllium tweeter speaker out there?

Is it the Focal Solo6 Be @ $2700/pr?
That would be ..... a beryllium tweeter in a box. Yes, I'm a smart a$$. I know I always pick my speakers because the tweeter. haha Just teasing. I know your thought.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis