Onkyo 5508 or Anthem D2V - Can't Decide!

B

Bghead8che

Audioholic Intern
Hi Guys I have been going back and forth between the Onkyo and the Anthem D2V. As I see it the Anthem has some significant drawbacks when compared to the Onkyo:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The D2V is three times as expensive as the 5508.
2. Does the D2V have any type of networking or the ability to stream music? I assume you would have to buy a dedicated music server with the D2V whereas you would not if you owned the 5508. Am I correct?
3. The D2V only EQs one sub correct? I know that Audyssey can EQ dual subs.
4. The firmware upgrade process on the D2V is a pain.
5. The interface on the D2V is old school compared to the 5508.
6. The D2V does not handle SACD natively, correct? In other words an SACD signal is converted to PCM. By converting the signal to PCM first do you not lose the advantage of the higher bit rate of SACDs defeating the point of an SACD?
7. My number once concern is the D3. I read some posts going back nearly a year talking about the D3. Is the D2V about to be replaced by the D3? I'd hate to pay this much only to fork out several thousand more for the D3? What's the scoop on the next model?

Lastly, perhaps nothing more than an academic concern, the Onkyo 5508 measure better in terms of distortion, SNR, channel seperation, etc. according to HT Magazine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I may be missing something but right now I can't seem to find a single advantage of going with the D2V even though I can get it at a great price. The D2V is upgradeable however for the cost of the upgrades I could buy a NEW Integra every year and still have money left over.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback. I really can't decide which one would be better!

-Brian

S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic
If you want to try an Anthem and don't need the extra features of the D2, consider using an MRX 300 as a pre/pro. That's what I'm doing, and it's been working great. I figure if the technology changes in a few years, I can just replace the MRX and still be out way less than the cost of just an upgrade to the D2. You get a slightly watered down version of ARC, but it doesn't sound like it's worth the difference in cost.
Just get something that has the number of inputs and outputs you need and don't worry about the extra features, there's better ways to get streaming, Netflix, etc. Apple TV, Oppo, Squeezebox, Dune, etc.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
OP, At this point you need to ask yourself - Could it be your putting to much in electronics and not enough in speakers?
I assume your investment in 2k grand pre-pro and another 2-3k in amp atleast - means you have over 20-30k in speakers?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I assume your investment in 2k grand pre-pro and another 2-3k in amp at least - means you have over 20-30k in speakers?
Well, I think $10K-$15K in speakers would be fine too with $5K pre-pro/amp combo. :D

But, yes, what speakers are we pairing with this $5K pre-pro/amp?

B

Bghead8che

Audioholic Intern
Well, I think $10K-$15K in speakers would be fine too with $5K pre-pro/amp combo. :D

But, yes, what speakers are we pairing with this $5K pre-pro/amp?
Well I pulled the trigger on an Anthem D2V and Anthem A5 amplifier. I got them both new for $5700. Which is a deal I could not pass up. I'm not sure if I am going to sell or keep them. I still may get an Onkyo 5509 and ATI 3000.

Right now I am considering Salk 8's. I was looking at Ascend towers with the RAAL but after reading a GTG thread most everyone picked the Salks as sounding better.

-Brian

S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic
Right now I am considering Salk 8's. I was looking at Ascend towers with the RAAL but after reading a GTG thread most everyone picked the Salks as sounding better.

-Brian
Well, that's a big jump in price. Guess you don't have any real budget :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well I pulled the trigger on an Anthem D2V and Anthem A5 amplifier. I got them both new for $5700. Which is a deal I could not pass up. I'm not sure if I am going to sell or keep them. I still may get an Onkyo 5509 and ATI 3000.

-Brian
Well, since you already bought those kick a$$ Anthem pieces (congratulations BTW :D), I'd say go for the Salk SS8.

Why bother with the Onkyo and ATI (which are also nice, nice pieces)?

You will have an awesome system for sure.

Will you have more than just one system? :D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

-Brian
Not to say the S8's wouldn't better the Ascend Towers....they should at nearly 4'xs the cost but what GTG are you referring too? I don't ever recall seeing that comparison.... however of the other Salk present at recent GTG the Ascends RAAL Towers did better the Salk Song Towers if comparing apples to apples in the opinion of non bised listeners....fwiw.

My 2 cents...:)

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
Not to say the S8's wouldn't better the Ascend Towers....they should at nearly 4'xs the cost but what GTG are you referring too? I don't ever recall seeing that comparison.... however of the other Salk present at recent GTG the Ascends RAAL Towers did better the Salk Song Towers if comparing apples to apples in the opinion of non bised listeners....fwiw.

I think he is referring to a thread on the AVS forum. There was a gathering here in Wisconsin back in April. The speaker list included a number of Salk offerings, Ascend, Philharmonic 2's, Seaton and JTR triple 12's if I remember correctly. It was a very enjoyable event, especially being able to talk to Jim Salk himself.

The following is my opinion only: I thought the Ascends and Songtowers (RAAL in both) were fairly close in terms of SQ but I did prefer the Songtowers. I felt the Salks were smoother and more detailed. I don't think I heard any speakers that day that were disappointing. I was quite impressed with the Phil's for a $2k speaker. Definitely performs well above its price class. The Salk Soundscapes were definitely the belle of the ball. Simply amazing speakers. Not that I've heard much in the $10k+range, but these are the best speakers I've been able to get my ears on.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I think he is referring to a thread on the AVS forum. There was a gathering here in Wisconsin back in April. The speaker list included a number of Salk offerings, Ascend, Philharmonic 2's, Seaton and JTR triple 12's if I remember correctly. It was a very enjoyable event, especially being able to talk to Jim Salk himself.

The following is my opinion only: I thought the Ascends and Songtowers (RAAL in both) were fairly close in terms of SQ but I did prefer the Songtowers. I felt the Salks were smoother and more detailed. I don't think I heard any speakers that day that were disappointing. I was quite impressed with the Phil's for a $2k speaker. Definitely performs well above its price class. The Salk Soundscapes were definitely the belle of the ball. Simply amazing speakers. Not that I've heard much in the $10k+range, but these are the best speakers I've been able to get my ears on.
If only you had a fully functional pair of Philharmonics there as well. I read that thread and would have been very interested to hear how the Phils compared to the other speakers there.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
:)

Yeah...I was following that thread intently like everyone else at the time...in fact it was the GTG I was alluding too. Just to be clear and I appreicate your thoughts as I know you were present but the ST in that GTG didn't have the RAAL but rather the LCY ribbon? Others could have and did preferred the RAAL in the Sierra's...YMMV as mentioned eariler.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
:)

Yeah...I was following that thread intently like everyone else at the time...in fact it was the GTG I was alluding too. Just to be clear and I appreicate your thoughts as I know you were present but the ST in that GTG didn't have the RAAL but rather the LCY ribbon? Others could have and did preferred the RAAL in the Sierra's...YMMV as mentioned eariler.
I checked my notes from the gtg and you are correct about the ST's not having the RAAL. I apologize for not having my facts straight.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
You'll have to let us know how it all fits together once it's done. I had the Anthem and it was lovely. My personal thought is that for the price of those speakers, you have too much invested in the Electronics side, but it won't mean anything sounds worse. You just may not notice all the added benefits of the upgraded electronics. I'm positive you will be happy with the electronics and won't have a need to upgrade. If you ever do feel the need to upgrade the speakers, you will already have the electronics to handle that upgrade. Make sure to do a little room sound treatment too. Put up some pics and reviews when it's all done. Lovely set of electronics though and a great price point!

B

Bghead8che

Audioholic Intern
Well, since you already bought those kick a$$ Anthem pieces (congratulations BTW :D), I'd say go for the Salk SS8.

Why bother with the Onkyo and ATI (which are also nice, nice pieces)?

You will have an awesome system for sure.

Will you have more than just one system? :D
The ATI would be more powerful by quite a large margin... 185 vs 350 all channels driven. I'm not sure if the Anthem A5 would have enough juice to power the Salks full range. I really want an Anthem P5 but I can't find one used and I am not about to pay $8K for a new one. :eek:

B

Bghead8che

Audioholic Intern

I believe it was the WI GTG. No none picked the Ascends over the Salks which is no suprise, of course (given the price difference). I'd appreciate a link to other GTGs if they involved Salks with the RAAL tweeter.

I personally have no interest in the Philharmonics due to asthetics and the lack of a matching center channel.

Right now the Salks are really the only speakers on my list thought I'm still open to any option at this point. I need a speaker that is super SMOOOOTH however because I am sensitive to bright speakers.

-Brian

B

Bghead8che

Audioholic Intern
You'll have to let us know how it all fits together once it's done. I had the Anthem and it was lovely. My personal thought is that for the price of those speakers, you have too much invested in the Electronics side, but it won't mean anything sounds worse. You just may not notice all the added benefits of the upgraded electronics. I'm positive you will be happy with the electronics and won't have a need to upgrade. If you ever do feel the need to upgrade the speakers, you will already have the electronics to handle that upgrade. Make sure to do a little room sound treatment too. Put up some pics and reviews when it's all done. Lovely set of electronics though and a great price point!
I don't understand. The Salks 5.1 setup will be over $16K. I think using a $5.7K Anthem combo will work perfectly. I'm not a believer in spend X amount on speakers, X amount on video, etc. I just like to buy the best in each category that I can afford.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
I'm not that familiar with the Salks. I did a little looking and thought they were about half that. You will be fine then. If you have heard them and love them, make the jump. One possible thought I do is buy used. $15k in used gear will get way more. Speakers usually last forever it seems.
As an example of a used deal, my speakers retail for $60k for the 7 channel set up. I paid just about $15k. Yes I am grinning about that.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Speaker price 5.1 to electronics (amps/prepros only) of say 2 or 3:1 may work in many cases to a point. When you get to amps/prepros combo of even 3.5 to 4K, I doubt it matters anymore regardless of whether you have B&W, KEF, Revel, Salk or whatever high end speakers you have as the bottleneck will now likely be yourself assuming you have normal hearing and sound quality perception, meaning not someone with special gifts. At that price point though, you do have to make sure you have enough power to drive the speakers in your listening environment to your preferred SPL with ease. Also the media source will have to be of high quality because garbage in garbage out.

Some audiophiles say specs are not everything and go with your ear but specs are the end results of science and engineering that formed the foundation for countless incredible achievements including getting to the moon. Imagine the accuracies of so many things involved in landing on the moon! If we have to go by hearing than all bets are off because you may in fact prefer the sound of a 1,000 prepro to a $30,000 one unless you use your sight to assist/influence your judgement. In that case we most likely will think the more expensive looking one sounds better especially if you recognize the brand. It took me, and surely other forum members here, such as ADTG a long while to realize even a simple Denon 3312 can sound just as good (in terms of truely hifi) as those expensive brands, as long as it has enough power for our specific needs.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
It's too late to argue what electronics to get on his thread since the decision has been made. Mentally your brain can think something sounds better if you think it should due to price. Double blind testing has proven you can't if you don't know though. I did a test with Odyssey $1500 amp vs classe $5000 amp vs theta dreadnaught multi channel vs $20,000 class a monster amp that I can't remember the name now. I purchased them all and had them a while to play with. The end result for me was to pick a quality built low priced amp that has enough power with spare room above that regardless of price. I kept the theta for surrounds and odyssey for triamping the mains. I did the same thing for speakers and kept the most expensive because I can hear a very big difference. I originally had a huge sub with 1 15" and an 18" passive sub for bass. When I had that in my system with cheap speakers it was an amazing sub. Values new at $1500 I think. When I got the Status acoustic current system all set up, something was sounding horrible with the bass. End result of a lot of testing was that the subs in the status were so much better cleaner clearer and powerful that the $1500 sub sounded like crap compared with the subs built into the $35000 main speakers. I had no noticeable sound difference in amps unless it was an underpowered amp for the speakers they were pushing.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It's too late to argue
I would go further by saying that there is no point aruging period. I do think it may be helpful to present different views that may alert thread viewers especially beginners in this hobby, who might otherwise misread stated opinions as facts.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis