Once again: what are you listening to now?

H

hwkn

Junior Audioholic
Neil Young-Le Noise[Blu ray]this album reminds me of his Eldorado EP

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Bloomfield, Kooper, and Stills "Supper Session" on vinyl
Frank Marino "Juggernaught" on vinyl
Muddy Waters "Electric Mud" on 180gm vinyl. This is a re-release which I picked up at a used record store for $10.00 in mint condition.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm listening to The Herd of Main Street, "Hearts, Roads and Tears". It's a pretty good CD, kinda like the sort of stuff done by the Drive By Truckers. Sometimes Baltimore betrays its ancient, long gone southern roots and having several southern rock bands HQ'd (also Caleb Stein and the Brakemen) in this city seems odd, but enjoyable. These guys are pretty good....city streets and pedal steel.

B

BWG707

Audioholic
Jackson Browne- remastered "Running on Empty". Extremely well mastered. It has great sound. I'm playing it on 7.1 system and the separation is great. The sound stage sounds very lifelike. I'm impressed.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Right now, I am listening to a collection of blue grass and American folk music played by:

Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, and Mark O'connor - Appalachian Journey

Featuring James Taylor and Alison Krauss

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Muddy Waters "Electric Mud" on vinyl
Bloomfield, Kooper & Stills "Super Session" on vinyl
The Constantines "Kessington Heights" on CD

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
going to be listening to this tonight:

Never heard it, or even heard of it, until recently. Blind buy, but I like Elfman. Hope it is good. It is an SACD!!

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
<br />
<br />
Pearl Jam "Yield" album. Still my favorite of their albums for whatever reason I can't put my finger on it. It has a good balance of rocking songs and those with more subtle elements that I appreciate as a former music writer... The song "Faithful" has a nice progression that is enjoyable to listen to and fun to play. I just saw on Amazon the vinyl releases of this are going for $100-200 used... Wow. I bought a lot of Pearl Jam vinyl back when they came out for the heck of it since I still like listening to vinyl occasionally, largely for the organic feel of putting a record on the player, never thought it would be an investment.

It's been an enjoyable night. My wife is a professor and had to teach tonight, so I've just listened to music all night. That doesn't happen as often as I'd like (the listening to music all night part, not having my wife gone...). The problem is I always end up going on Amazon and buying more CD's on nights like tonight then the Amazon credit card bill comes and man it adds up quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Robert Plant "Band Of Joy" on CD. I find this to be one of his weaker releases. Not as bad as "Now & Zen" but still pretty lame. There are are 3 maybe 4 good songs, the rest is filler shmultz type material.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue on CD. Great jazz voice.
I actually don't really like her voice all the time, particularly when she tries to hit high notes, but the music is great. I have 4 SACDs from her - Cafe Blue, Companion, Night Club, and Modern Cool and they are easily among the best recordings I own. They are all stereo but they sound like you are THERE. Companion is live and it is absolutely stunning.

I listened to the Danny Elfman arrangement last night and it is very good. The sound is actually not as good as I had hoped for SACD, but it is decent. The music definitely has moments where one can tell it is Elfman composed for sure, but there's a lot of stuff that sounds more classical. Overall a good disc.

I also picked up Steven Wilson Insurgentes DVD on the same order as the Elfman SACD and I was checking out the 6 bonus tracks from the Insurgentes sessions. A few weren't so great, but there are a few that were freaking awesome. It also includes some Bass Communion live tracks...um...that's not music, it is noise :) But I still like it for what it is. Can't say I would buy an album of that, but the 5.1 tracks on the DVD sound freaking AMAZING; definitely super well recorded/mastered/mixed.

Last edited:
psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I was curious about the Elfman project. now I want to break my Oingo Boingo CD's.

Yeah, you can't compare her to a Dianne Reeves or some of the other great velvet voiced singers, but she is really good. I'm also Nina Simone fan, so that may explain a little. The musical arrangements of Barber's band are exceptional.

If you don't me asking, where do you get your SACD's. I've been looking for some of Barber's stuff on SACD and can't find it.

Thanks.
Barry

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you don't me asking, where do you get your SACD's. I've been looking for some of Barber's stuff on SACD and can't find it.

Thanks.
Barry
Musicdirect.com still has Companion, some can be found on Amazon, but they are all out of print I believe and pretty hard to come by. I actually bought most of them when they came out and they were already $30 then...and they have only gone up in price.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/75662

Oddly enough, when I bought my first SACD Player, the guy included the Cafe Blue SACD with it because he said he had no use for it without the player :)

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Musicdirect.com still has Companion, some can be found on Amazon, but they are all out of print I believe and pretty hard to come by. I actually bought most of them when they came out and they were already $30 then...and they have only gone up in price.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/75662

Oddly enough, when I bought my first SACD Player, the guy included the Cafe Blue SACD with it because he said he had no use for it without the player :)
Cafe Blue is one my favorite CD's. Thanks for the link. I'm going to have a look now. If you ever decide to sell let me know. LOL.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis