Once again: what are you listening to now?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Man I love me some Miles. I have Kind of Blue an both CD and LP and enjoy listening to both but lately mostly CD these days.
Indeed; this is the LP that got me into the jazz genre (as I'm sure it did a lot of people). Need to pick up more of his stuff and start building my vinyl jazz section.

This Sony Legacy reissue sounds really really good save for a second side that was pressed horribly off-center, so it makes my tonearm cavitate like the spinning tea cups at Disney.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Indeed; this is the LP that got me into the jazz genre (as I'm sure it did a lot of people). Need to pick up more of his stuff and start building my vinyl jazz section.

This Sony Legacy reissue sounds really really good save for a second side that was pressed horribly off-center, so it makes my tonearm cavitate like the spinning tea cups at Disney.
Must be entertaining if you have a buzz. :) Do you have a good tracking tonearm/ cart? Just curious.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Must be entertaining if you have a buzz. :)
:D

Do you have a good tracking tonearm/ cart? Just curious.
I am using an Audio-Technica AT-LP120 table (so it has an s-shaped tonearm similar to the Technics SL1200 series) with an AT95E cart that is beginning to wear down, so I am thinking of replacing it with the MicroLine version of the new VM95 series (which is supposed to combat inner groove distortion...something I could just not tolerate with the elliptical 95E).

With a smidgen over two grams tracking weight, the 95E holds on to the grooves of this off-center pressing just fine, with piano sections sounding maybe just a little "whiny;" the biggest issue occurred when we were using our original AT95E cart that came in the box with our table, and after awhile of wearing down, the Miles record caused the arm to skate across the last track of the second side right to the label. This has caused a permanent burn in the grooves, which you can hear as the stylus passes over that section now; it has not happened with this replacement 95E (which is beginning to wear, as well).

Interestingly, I just received a 180 gram reissue of a classic hip hop album I love, LL Cool J's Bigger and Deffer, and this thing was warped so badly out of the package that I can't even get the tonearm/stylus to lock onto the lead in grooves. The tonearm moves like a roller coaster as the record plays. This is the first "new" vinyl I have to return for a replacement, but I don't know if this was because the record was sitting in our own mailbox for a day or so before we got to it (we have 100-plus-degree temperatures here right now) or if it was a pressing defect.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Have you heard the DVD-A of this?
I have not; my two-channel system (separate from our surround setup) supports vinyl and redbook CD only, and my Ultra HD Blu-ray player in the 5.1 system, a Panasonic UB9000, doesn't support DVD-A or SACD. When I had an Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player in this system, which did support the formats, I was tempted to pick up a couple of classic albums in one of these formats to see what all the hoopla was about in surround, including Kind of Blue and Hotel California. Never got around to it.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Santana Europa. Best Santana song and the live version is even better!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis