Once again: what are you listening to now?

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
Eric Clapton/JJ Cale, "Road to Escondido"
Beatles "Love"
Tom Waits "Mule Variations"
Jim Hall "Concierto"

Last edited:
skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
My latest is Tom Waits' "Orphans" and astounding Mexican guitar duo Rodrigo y Gabriela.

Waits started out on a compilation disk but wrote new songs and re-recorded old ones. He ended up with 3 cds, 56 songs, around 30 of which are new. Divided up among Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards, each cd has a distinct sound and style, with Waits generally weird, outsider attitude and his strange roaring, grunting voice. A tour-de-force strait from the bar at the edge of the trailer park.

Rodrigo y gabriela are true virtuosos of accoustic finger picking. With no vocals, but but abundant guitar skills, they pick, strum and use their guitars as percussion to create a unique layered sound.

Buckle-meister

I don't really go in for this type of thread because I can normally go through quite a few CDs in an evening listening to various songs from each. However, this evening I was listening to Rob Dougan's album Furious Angels on CD and had to post to bring to folk's attention how well arranged (strings) and superbly recorded I think this album is.

Rob's singing isn't up to much in my opinion. In fact I consider that most of the songs he sings on would far better benefit from being instrumentals, but for the songs that I listen to, it's back of the neck hair raising stuff. Highly recommended. :cool:

Favourite song has to be Will you follow me rather than the easily recognised Clubbed to death and Furious Angels, the latter two of which appeared on the first two Matrix films respectively.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I try to listen to as much of a variety as possible, but I always seem to end up spending the most time with new age and jazz. Some of my favorites lately are Mindi Abair's "A Life Less Ordinary", Al DiMeola's "Consequence of Chaos", Mars Lasar's "Yosemite", Spiro Gyra's "The Deep End", The Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Lost Trident Sessions" (a stunning remaster), and William Orbit's "Hello Waveforms".
In other Genres, Bob Marley's "Legend" is a great remaster, Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" remains a classic, and I love pretty much anything by Radiohead.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Joe Schmoe said:
I try to listen to as much of a variety as possible, but I always seem to end up spending the most time with new age and jazz. Some of my favorites lately are Mindi Abair's "A Life Less Ordinary", Al DiMeola's "Consequence of Chaos", Mars Lasar's "Yosemite", Spiro Gyra's "The Deep End",
I picked up "The Deep End" 5.1 SACD a few months ago. Very nice.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

I've been listening to Bach's tocattas and fugues (organ music) lately. And some Mozart, I'm not a classical music kind of person, but I keep coming back to these. They relax me when I come home at 5-6 in the morning.
That and "World Destruction" by Time Zone (Afrika Bambaataa and Johny Lydon). **

Jack

**my music tastes change rapidly and unexplicably from time to time.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Finger Eleven - Paralyzer

This song is AWESOME! I didn't like Finger Eleven, but their new sound is awesome. I can't wait for this album to hit stores (13th of March).

SheepStar

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
Picked up the Eagles Melbourne concert dvd at walmart a few weeks ago and opened it this morning, really like it - the plan was to clean house while it played but I ended up watching the show.

apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
just my ipod lol , i know the quality is not good but it is conveinint

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (the bonus track: seven bridges, ahhh...nothing is sweeter than to listen to a DTS track;) )

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Being in a weird mood tonight, I started out on a Russian thing and was listening to Gogol Borgello a gypsy-punk band led by Eugene Hutz, who starred in the movie Everything is Illuminated and then Regina Spektor's odd high voiced vocals and piano are very appealing. Before that it was Tom Wait's "Orphans", a mega work with 56 songs, most of which are new. It's an orgy for Waits fans.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Nothing...

...at the moment, but I did stumble on Bill Evans' Portrait In Jazz while at Barnes & Noble...recorded in '59 after his work with Miles Davis on the Kind Of Blue sessions...

The program is of older (even using 1959 as a touchstone) classic ballads and such...recognizing the titles, familiarity with the melodies and curious as to how they could be reworked prompted the purchase.

It's a trio scenario and the interplay between Evans on piano and bassist Scott La Faro is really, really...what can I say?...cool...Drummer Paul Motian's brushwork is just what the doctor ordered...

jimHJJ(...if you like KOB and jazz of that period, I highly recommend it...)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Resident Loser said:
...at the moment, but I did stumble on Bill Evans' Portrait In Jazz while at Barnes & Noble...recorded in '59 after his work with Miles Davis on the Kind Of Blue sessions...

The program is of older (even using 1959 as a touchstone) classic ballads and such...recognizing the titles, familiarity with the melodies and curious as to how they could be reworked prompted the purchase.

It's a trio scenario and the interplay between Evans on piano and bassist Scott La Faro is really, really...what can I say?...cool...Drummer Paul Motian's brushwork is just what the doctor ordered...

jimHJJ(...if you like KOB and jazz of that period, I highly recommend it...)
Hey Res,

CDs like this is the reason to have an excellent playback system, music at it's purest.:D

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Right now i got Jimi Hendrix "Blues" goin & im havin a ball listening to it,im sure the neighbors would be pissed but they arent home so they wont mind their windows ratteling:D

Man, Jimi was king.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Alter Bridge - Open your eyes. Just regular 'ol music pumped from my comp into my yammy :)

Matt34

Matt34

10,000 Maniacs- MTV Unplugged

Norah Jones- Not too Late

Corinne Bailey Rae- Self titled

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Awesome new discovery: Hazmat Modine.
They have a sound as rustic as the antique harmonica on the cover of their CD "Bahamut". Down and dirty blues. jazz, gypsy music and many other styles blended with outstanding musicianship. Sounds like some ancient record played on the Victrola in your great grandparent's attic.

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
Coheed and Cambria
+44
10 years
Breaking Benjamin

Chevelle's new album in April ;)

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
I prefer jazz & femal vocal early in the am, right now ive got Lisa Loeb "Firecracker" & Quincy Jones "The best of" going in a multi disc player on random.

Lisa Loeb sure does have a sexy voice:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis