Once again: what are you listening to now?

A

AKAJohnDoe

Enthusiast
First post here!

Most recently:

• Was (not Was) - Smile!
  • Phil Ranelin - Shades of Dolphy
  • Fairport Convention - Dangerous
  • Who - Real good looking boy
  • Dave Alvin - Ashgrove
  • John Mayall - Prisons on the road
  • World Saxophone Quartet - West African Snap
  • Cheryl Wheeler - Makes good sense to me
  • Steve Goodman - You better get it while you can
  • Kim Carnes - Crazy in the Night (extended remix version)
  • Tonio K - Life in the Foodchain
  • The Ramones - I wanna be sedated
  • James McMurtry - Walk between the raindrops
  • Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
  • Roy Buchanan - Sweet Dreams: The Anthology
  • Randy Newman - Land of Dreams

3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
Not sure if anyone here is into electronic music, but two i'm currently spinning:

Mirwais -- Production
Laurent Garnier -- The Cloud Making Machine

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Philip Glass - The Hours soundtrack. (No, I've never seen the movie).

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Donald Fagen
Special Efx
Fourplay
The Eagles
Steely Dan
Rush
George Jinda
Chieli Minucci
Fleetwood Mac
Diana Krall

R

rolski

Audioholic Intern
Massive Attack - Collected - Ltd Ed. CD & DVD (dual-disc).

Depeche Mode - Speak & Spell - Collectors Edition CD & 5.1 remix DVD.
Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses - Collectors Edition CD & 5.1 remix DVD.
Depeche Mode - Violator - Collectors Edition CD & 5.1 remix DVD.

Oh, and the CD side of the Massive Attack Dual-disc doesn't play in any of my CD players - which I have also read about on some other fora - back to the shop tomorrow....

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Last night when I got home, waiting in the mail for me was the new 5.1 DualDisc "A Valid Path" by Alan Parsons and the 5.1 DVD-A "Morph the Cat" by Donald Fagen. I listened to AVP and came away impressed, even though the surround layers are in DTS and Dobly rather than DVD-A. Bottom line this disc will give your speakers a real workout. Even though I'm familiar with the stereo version and even got to hear a pre-release surround version last summer, it'll take several listens before I can get my ears around this recording....there's just so much going on.

Tonight I'll turn the lights down low and put on Morph. From everything I've read, I'm sure it's gonna be another great night. :)

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
Most of my iPod is loaded with my CDs, but I recently won a $50 iTunes gift card (in one of this web-site's contests!).

Some of my purchases have been of songs now being used in TV ads, that I didn't already have on CD or vinyl:

- AM Radio by Everclear (GM ads)
- Lust for Life by Iggy Pop (some cruise line, not sure which one)
- Do Ya by ELO (can't even recall which company)

The quality of TV ad music is certainly getting better, even if I can't necessarily associate the music to the product being advertised!

Some other "songs from ads" that I already had are:

Blitzkrieg Bop by the Ramones (was this a beer ad???)
Fly Away by Lenny Kravitz (Nissan)

H

hillbill

Audioholic
Rush - A Farewell to Kings
Donald Fagen - Morph the Cat

And some unreleased Black Crowes album...can't remember the name of it.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
For me this past week -

Best of the Atlanta Rhythm Section
Chris Orbach - Safely Through the Night (just caught him live in Syracuse Saturday night)... Recommended.
Earl Klugh - Crazy For You
Pink Floyd - DSOTM dvd-a 4.1 channel
Peter Gabriel - So
Beatles White Album - disc 2

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
I wonder who's using "Do Ya"? Funny, I was just listening to <i>Out of the Blue</i> and <i>A New World Record</i> for the first time in like 25 years! Childhood favorites that I just realized are still pretty good.

Just bought Built To Spill * You In Reverse today. I forgot how much I like their Neil Young-ish guitar jams.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Atreyu - A death Grip on Yesterday

Awesome album. I like "The Theft", "Ex's and Oh's", and "Untilted Finale". If your into the underground, check this CD out.

SheepStar

Tempest

Tempest

Junior Audioholic
K2 Super Coding = Yum!

I'm listening to Count Basie / Basie Big Band / K2 Super Coding remaster. I have several of these remasters and am very pleased:cool:

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
The Horror The Horror (Tapete Records)
Finally, probably for the first time since Felt, here's a band where Television is cited as an influence, and I can actually hear it! A young Swedish band enamored with VU, Modern Lovers and CBGBs era NYC, they also have hints of 90s British influences like Swervedriver and The Wedding Present. They have a clean and spare sound that works well becuase their songs are strong enough to not need to hide behind fancy production. Not that this is underproduced. There are some very nice, shimmery, sparkly moments. Hear "Sound of Sirens," for example. Without distortion, the song still packs an emotional whallop, even without paying attention to the lyrics. This is a sign of a great band. Released on an indie German label, this kind of hard to find. Tower currently stocks it in the import section for $21, and Rough Trade's site sells it. The label enthusiastically, and without irony, says, "This is your favourite new band!" And they're right!

Built To Spill * You In Reverse (WB)
It's weird to think they've been around over 14 years. And even before that Dough Martsch did Treepeople and other bands. A whole five years after their last album, the concise, polished, Ancient Melodies of the Future, You In Reverse finds them in a looser, jammy mode. Their 2000 live album is the closest in feel. Having done a stellar cover of "Cortez the Killer" on the live album, it's not surprising that the Neil Young influence is stronger than ever here. Forget weaker followers like Modest Mouse, Built To Spill will be the one known for consistent, durably classic rock albums.

Ladyfuzz * Kerfuffle (Transgressive/WEA International)
London's Ladyfuzz has a remarkable chameleon in Austrian Gwen Stefani-lookalike singer Liz Neumayr. She starts the album with a startling resemblence to The Slits' Ari Upp in "Hold Up," and goes on to remind me of Penetration's Pauline Murray, The Avenger's Penelope Houston, Nina Hagen, and even Karen O. What keeps Ladyfuzz elevated amongst mere revivalists is not only Neumayr's talent (she'll most certainly grow into her own distinctive voice quickly), but the band's tight yet elastic playing that keeps the songs sounding fresh and danceable.

Wolfmother (Modular/Interscope)
I have to say, it was hard to get excited about another band influenced by Led Zep and Sabbath. Sure, the Darkness were fun for an album, but most bands simply don't have the songwriting chops to pull it off without sounding tired and derivative. Yet from Kyuss to Monster Magnet, there's always exceptions that manage to record some worthwhile new material. This Brisbane, Australia group offer a couple twists that keep things fresh, including some Blue Cheer and, surprisingly, a strong White Stripes influence ("Joker And The Thief"). The album isn't even released in the U.S. yet, and the promotional machine is in full gear. I wouldn't be surprised if DJs get the promos sealed in bags of cocaine. Hence, a backlash is inevitable. It's great fun though. Bring on the tour with the smoke machines and capes!

The Ludes * The Dark Art Of Happiness (Double Dragon UK)
Yet more mates of The Libertines, Razorlight and Dogs, one could get sick of this stuff. But with the exception of the dullards Arctic Monkeys, I'm liking what I hear. Sure, they're obviously enamored with The Clash, but they have some great songwriting that transcends the sometimes cliched idea of "dirty, loose rock 'n' roll." Keep the tunes coming, and I'll keep listening.

Eagles Of Death Metal * Death By Sexy (Downtown)
This is Queens of The Stone Age's Josh Homme's side project. With Homme on the kit, his friend Jess "The Devil" Hughes fronts the band, with a decidedly more whimsical, trashy fun vibe than QOTSA. I saw them open for The Cramps one Halloween and they meshed perfectly. You'd think the raunchy rockabilly ditties would be total throwaways, but this is better than expected.

Biscokid

Biscokid

Audioholic
Loose Furs: Born Again in America

The Minus 5: The Gun Album

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
KING CRIMSON- THE POWER TO BELIEVE... Unbelievable! As good as any of their albums, with some familiar elements and some surprises. I love this band.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
johndoe said:
KING CRIMSON- THE POWER TO BELIEVE... Unbelievable! As good as any of their albums, with some familiar elements and some surprises. I love this band.
Honestly, other than "The Court of the Crimson King" which I remember liking, I'm not familiar with much of King Crimson. A few years ago I picked up a used copy of "Three of a Perfect Pair" and listened to it once and there is sits. Should I give it another go? What would you consider their better albums?

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
Hawkeye said:
Honestly, other than "The Court of the Crimson King" which I remember liking, I'm not familiar with much of King Crimson. A few years ago I picked up a used copy of "Three of a Perfect Pair" and listened to it once and there is sits. Should I give it another go? What would you consider their better albums?
With a very brief and abridged history, my recommendations are underlined.

Actually I've only listened to the title track of "Three of a Perfect Pair", and I'm not big on it. From that 80s period, the best album is "Discipline"- it does have a couple of weak tracks but nevertheless brilliant. Previous to that, from 1974 "Red" has some amazing stuff, including the best tension-building crescendo in rock history to my knowledge. Also from that period "Larks' Tongues in Aspic" seems to be a fan favorite, but I must confess that I don't give it a full 5 stars, 4.5 I think.
THRAK is a different animal from the "double trio" brief period in the 90s. Again, this is an awsome album with musical talent to spare. Heavy and raw combined with subtle and delicate, IMO a KC quasi-classic, considering the immense talent the double trio had and didn't quite exploit to its full potentiall.
The latest incarnation of KC has two studio albums: "The ConstruKction of Light" which is much better than good, with some excellent moments, and "The Power to Believe", in this last one the lineup really takes it to a very high level.

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do. Let me know what you think, and your recommendations if you have them.

Last edited:
C

caupina

Full Audioholic
I've been listening to Pat Metheny's "The Way Up", "First Circle", "More Travels" in VHS (too bad is not in DVD), Simply Red "Live in CUBA!" (excellent!!!) and some Chris Botti. Anybody here heard of Incognito???? Great band and great music, very dynamic!!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis