Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I listened to this last night, Blood Red Shoes "Ghosts On Tape" . Some very nice hard industrial sounds makes me reminisce of NIN, Filter, and Band Of Skulls.

folder.jpg

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I listened to this last night, Blood Red Shoes "Ghosts On Tape" . Some very nice hard industrial sounds makes me reminisce of NIN, Filter, and Band Of Skulls.

View attachment 53379

If you liked that, you're gonna love these.
*assuming you have not heard Android Lust - these are both from 15 years ago or so.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Going old school. 1985 da Bronx..
1643322000598.png

THAT'S some classic shizznit right there yo....

"Rock Box" is still one of the defining moments in all of hip hop, as is "Sucker MC's," which is from the same debut album of Run-DMC's. I own an ORIGINAL pressing on vinyl:

1643322084939.png

I have some Heavy D on vinyl, as well, including the 12 inch single of "Now That We Found Love" and his full length LP Big Tyme...

1643322194814.png

Can't believe he's gone, as well as Jam Master Jay...of course, along with a whole slew of others now like Derek B, Biz Markie, DJ E-Z Rock, one of the guys from Kriss Kross, Scott LaRock....

I need to get a vinyl copy of that Mr. Magic's Rap Attack album....THAT'S throwback gold right there. I used to listen to his mix show every weekend when I was in high school, taping the songs off the radio onto cassette (it was a station that broadcast in NYC...can't remember the name of it....may have been Hot 97).

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
View attachment 53388

THAT'S some classic shizznit right there yo....

"Rock Box" is still one of the defining moments in all of hip hop, as is "Sucker MC's," which is from the same debut album of Run-DMC's. I own an ORIGINAL pressing on vinyl:

View attachment 53389

I have some Heavy D on vinyl, as well, including the 12 inch single of "Now That We Found Love" and his full length LP Big Tyme...

View attachment 53390

Can't believe he's gone, as well as Jam Master Jay...of course, along with a whole slew of others now like Derek B, Biz Markie, DJ E-Z Rock, one of the guys from Kriss Kross, Scott LaRock....

I need to get a vinyl copy of that Mr. Magic's Rap Attack album....THAT'S throwback gold right there. I used to listen to his mix show every weekend when I was in high school, taping the songs off the radio onto cassette (it was a station that broadcast in NYC...can't remember the name of it....may have been Hot 97).
Yeah, its a real shame we lost alot of great pioneers of the era in the last few years.
Your thinking of 98.7 KISS.....with Coooool DJ Red Alert......YEEEEAAAAHHHH...With The Jungle Brothers...
"Jimmys in da jungle hunting"..those were the days...
I have a few cassettes I recorded of his shows somewhere in the basement!

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, its a real shame we lost alot of great pioneers of the era in the last few years.
Your thinking of 98.7 KISS.....with Coooool DJ Red Alert......YEEEEAAAAHHHH...With The Jungle Brothers...
"Jimmys in da jungle hunting"..those were the days...
I have a few cassettes I recorded of his shows somewhere in the basement!
YES! KISS FM! I had confused it with Hot 97, which mainly played Latin Freestyle back then. Boy, were those the days.

And, yeah....with RED ALERT! That's right. That's the show I used to tape (as you did, as well)....but I think Mr. Magic had a show on Kiss too, no?

It was listening to these radio shows on Friday and Saturday nights -- through one of those "beat boxes" I'd keep on the seat next to me to record on! -- that introduced me to so many awesome hip hop acts and tracks....I was exposed to "Paid in Full," "Eric B is President," "Dear Yvette," "Make the Music with Your Mouth," all manner of EPMD songs, the great Milk D from Audio Two and many many more through KISS FM.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Mr. Magic was on WLBS, 107.5 with Marley Marl...Magic passed away in 2010 i think...

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Got some inspiration after talkin' about all this old school hip hop....

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, lived in the Bronx in the 1980s, get in and out of NYC now and then until Covid screwed everone's lives up.
Thought you might be based on your knowledge of the scene...

Indeed, I grew up in Long Island, western Nassau County just outside Far Rockaway in a village called Atlantic Beach (Far Rock was where Third Bass hailed from) and moved out west when my parents retired back at the beginning of the 2000's and relocated to Nevada. I want to go back but the living is so expensive (my wife is from Westchester but we actually met out west, ironically) and I can't stand the liberal hivemind of the politics and policies there.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
I had a friend who had a cottage in Atlantic Beach. Lots of trips on the A train. Great area, haven't been in years. It's expensive everywhere so we're all in the same damn boat!.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis