Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I occasionally write down songs I come across on scraps of paper for future reference. Found an old scrap with Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter. Great example of grunge with the mellow verses and a chorus that punches you in the gut. Verses kind of remind of The Smiths.
Crank it up!
Im going to look for this album and buy it.Thanks Eppie!!!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I'm going to look for this album and buy it.Thanks Eppie!!!
I'll be honest in that I'm not sure what the rest of the album is like, although I'd like to do some research if I have the time. .... OK, have a little time now. ;)

This song is from their debut album Short Bus from 1995. It's described as industrial rock / post-grunge. There is a good description on Wiki here. Sounds like the album is hard rock, so if it's more of the same then I'd like to find a copy too.

If you look up newer videos, the later music by Filter is more main stream rock oriented. This is why I love debut albums. They tend to be closer to a band's original vision as often the music gets more commercial once record labels start pushing for sales. If you find a copy, let me know what you think.

EDIT: Oh, I think I played that song 5 times in a row yesterday as I was alone in the office. My poor little Cambridge Soundworks can't handle much more. :D

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll be honest in that I'm not sure what the rest of the album is like, although I'd like to do some research if I have the time. .... OK, have a little time now. ;)

This song is from their debut album Short Bus from 1995. It's described as industrial rock / post-grunge. There is a good description on Wiki here. Sounds like the album is hard rock, so if it's more of the same then I'd like to find a copy too.

If you look up newer videos, the later music by Filter is more main stream rock oriented. This is why I love debut albums. They tend to be closer to a band's original vision as often the music gets more commercial once record labels start pushing for sales. If you find a copy, let me know what you think.

EDIT: Oh, I think I played that song 5 times in a row yesterday as I was alone in the office. My poor little Cambridge Soundworks can't handle much more. :D
Just ordered the CD from Amazon. They remind me of a Tool/NIN combination. That song rocks. Here's hoping the rest of the album does too.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Short Bus is a good album. Hey Man Nice Shot is probably the best song on it, but the others are good.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Short Bus is a good album. Hey Man Nice Shot is probably the best song on it, but the others are good.
They have a lot of good songs before they changed their sound to appeal to the more mainstream. Was a big fan way back when.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Cool, I'll have to add Short Bus to my buy list. I don't like the mainstream stuff as much but the first album sounds pretty kick a**.

Can sample the whole album on Filter's Youtube channel and 7-Digital has the flac version for 10 bucks. That's a no-brainer. :)
EDIT: C$10 for 320k MP3 and M4A. C$14 for the flac.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Haven't listened to my rig is a few days. Put Joni Mitchell's Blue in the CD player and oh my god Carry just seemed to jump out of the speakers. Gave me goosebumps.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
I can't believe this song is almost 20 years old now...Great memories from the nightclubs in my younger days...:D

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Al Stewart Time Passages not quite Year of the Cat but enjoyable nonetheless.

robert diiorio

robert diiorio

Enthusiast
Eddie Daniels "First Gymnopedie" streaming from Jazz24 thru
KLH Model Nines Futterman H3a, Accuphase C200

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Something crazy on my suggestion list from YouTube. Twelve Foot Ninja's music lies between heavy rock and metal, but the intro and outro to the music is just hilarious.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
These guys produce some cool videos, and their humour cracks me up. @Pogre are you familiar with this band? This song is more metal but the band is new to me.

Check out their take on the Wiggles. LOL...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am unfamiliar with Twelve Foot Ninja, but they sound like they might be in the same vein as Green Jelly or Austrian Death Machine? I'm gonna checkout those videos as soon as I finish this post.

Green Jelly was kind of a one-off goofy band with Danny Carey on the drums and they actually had a popular video on MTV back in the day, "Three Little Pigs", with Maynard doing guest vocals as the little pigs!

Austrian Death Machine is, um... an Arnold Schwarzenegger tribute band with hits like "Get To The Choppa!" and "I Need Your Clothes, Your Boots and Your Motorcycle", lol. ADM is another side project type thing for Tim Lambesis, the front man for "As I Lay Dying". It's a one man show in the studio as he does all of the writing and plays all of the instruments on their albums. Copied from the wiki, "Lambesis stated where As I Lay Dying "is heartfelt and full of passion" Austrian Death Machine on the other hand "is an outlet of pure testosterone and stupidity."

I think he actually does a bang up job covering Metallica tho. I do like his version of "Trapped Under Ice".

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These guys produce some cool videos, and their humour cracks me up. @Pogre are you familiar with this band? This song is more metal but the band is new to me.

Check out their take on the Wiggles. LOL...
Ha! I can connect with the humor and find them very listenable as far as style and musicianship go. I think you and I like a lot of the same type of heavy music. I do listen to a little bit of thrash, but I'm more about the heavy sound and tight playing than raw speed and screaming.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis