Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Help me with this one:

I really like everything Boy & Bear did so far, I play them all the time, but it so tight around that 4k to 6k Hz, I can never go loud, it immediately starts tiring my ears. His voice is really throaty and hits the same notes as some of the attack from the instruments it comes together as piercing. How could I set the EQ for this material? Feel free to PM me.

This is at my disposal:
upload_2017-11-8_16-10-32.png

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Takuya Kuroda was a recent discovery for me...this the 1st of two I bought.

I would call this urban jazz...has a pretty good band, great drummer. Overall I would give the recording quality a 3 of 5 scale...not the spaciousness you would expect, but his work on the trumpet is very good.

I've had this one about 6 weeks and I've played it a dz times already.

upload_2017-11-8_13-28-33.jpeg

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1 / Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2

upload_2017-11-8_13-38-22.jpeg

I'm not a huge classical fan, but I can appreciate the genre...On a recommendation from a friend with a large classical collection...I bought this and another one from the Living Stereo series...SACD for $10 bucks each...why not?

Nice! Boy, does your speakers get a workout! This one has a strong string section with the piano overlay. If you like classical piano...I think you will like this one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Help me with this one:

I really like everything Boy & Bear did so far, I play them all the time, but it so tight around that 4k to 6k Hz, I can never go loud, it immediately starts tiring my ears. His voice is really throaty and hits the same notes as some of the attack from the instruments it comes together as piercing. How could I set the EQ for this material? Feel free to PM me.

This is at my disposal:
I listened to a bit of that on my computer and really have no desire to hear his voice on my main system....a voice I would call piercing all by itself...

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Help me with this one:

This is at my disposal:
View attachment 22832
This doesn’t bother me. Listen to the Dixie chicks. Now that will hurt your ears at reference. Something about their voice and lack of dynamic in them sort of beats my ears up. Whatever that FQ is, my ears have been screwed up too much.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Till Tuesday “ Coming up close”, Radiohead “High and Dry”, Best Coast “ California Nights”. Just thank me later.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not a fan of their music last time I heard it, but that's been a while, so can't really say I've noticed how the vocals are mixed particularly so maybe time to give 'em another listen....but did like their politics :)

I love the sound they produce, sort of an eclectic country/new grass mix. Unfortunately I don’t like the mix down. I could’ve done better.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Not a fan of their music last time I heard it, but that's been a while, so can't really say I've noticed how the vocals are mixed particularly so maybe time to give 'em another listen....but did like their politics :)
I didn’t like their politics but they really are superb musicians. I think their mix could be better. I’ll bet they do a great live show.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@lovinthehd & @Mitchibo I also think this has to do with the guy's voice. I don't think this is a gear issue. I'm just looking for a way to soften that harshness so that I may enjoy the band. It has some great poetry and some beautiful playing. I know Aussies don't like to be lumped up with NZ, but that par of the world is coming alive and it's really nice to see that:
Georgia Fair
Boy & Bear
Courtney Barnett
Lisa Mitchell
Cut Copy
Tame Impala
Empire of the Sun
Birds of Tokyo

This is the one that got me hooked to Boy & Bear

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've always liked this band, but never bought a cd (which is about to change, I'm buying this one). I've been listening to music on Amazon Prime and I'm finding some new stuff (and old). So far it's not bad, but has limitations, such as NO TOOL whatsoever! :eek: Unsurprising as Tool is infamous for not distributing online media, but fook.

They do have enough to keep me checking it out tho. Kinda cool. Candlebox checks off a lot of boxes for me and I'd almost forgotten them. They're pretty tight, can be heavy and the singer has an emotive voice. I think @lovinthehd might dig these guys too. @Bucknekked too.

Candlebox:

Change
You
Far Behind
Cover Me (live)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@Pogre
Candlebox is a great band that got overlooked. Iirc, Dave krusen who recorded drums on Pearl Jam’s “10”(and some odds n ends later for them)is the guy who tracked drums for candlebox. I love his vibe, and you can pick up subtleties that are reflected in both. Anyway...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis