Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Man, you guys have been busy!

Larry Carlton just arrived at my house. Anybody that plays a Gibson 335 is ok in my book.
a 335 is a gorgeous instrument to look at, and to play.
We are getting acquainted now.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Larry Carlton just arrived at my house. Anybody that plays a Gibson 335 is ok in my book.
a 335 is a gorgeous instrument to look at, and to play.
We are getting acquainted now.
He bought that new in '69' IIRC. Uses very little in the way of effects, has just a handful of guitars. But the 335 is his trademark sound.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and to a certain extent Jeff Beck, all walk a fine line with their talent.
They have a tendency to show off their talent (which is prodigous) rather than play songs which are listenable or musical. This was a good cut from Steve Vai. I enjoyed the complexity of the song. He mixed it up pretty good.

(Editors Note : no flashy guitar player was injured or defamed in the expression of this opinion)

Here's another example of Joe Satriani. When he wants to, like Steve Vai, he can play the s-h-i-t out that guitar and still be musical.

JOE SATRIANI. SURFIN WITH THE ALIEN. 1987

Why yes, you need as much volume as you can muster. 11 seems about right on my system

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
MrBoat
I thought I'd heard every Boston track ever laid down. Somehow I missed this one.
I enjoyed it. I bet they will have this one at the 2nd hand CD store. They had a bin of Boston.
I will add it to my list:p

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Steve Vai, to great extent, was a student of Frank Zappa. It was a theme I followed after listening to the cuts Lvnthehd posted. A lot of people don't realize how great a guitar player Zappa was.

Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen etc., filled a void that needed filling. Such as when an Eddie VanHalen were a bit too stingy with their solos. Not really with regard to how the layout of a song goes, but when I just wanted to hear more of it. These guys could cure all what ails in that department, without just shredding. Then there's Vai's and Satriani's association in the beginning. Their bringing Ibanez guitars to that front as well.

I recall when Surfing with the Alien came out. I was out in Longmont, CO., hanging piecework drywall and restoring a vintage Bronco for my journey home to FL. It was about 11pm and I was wet sanding thousands of tiny pits out of the grill from where the truck had followed salt spreaders through the mountains at one point. I had almost no fingerprints left and raspberries on my fingertips which were quite sore. That song came on and I was blown away. I actually thought it was VanHalen. Got back to FL. and promptly bought that cd.

Some days, I just want to hear great rockin guitar like that. Not just the shredding that is all the rage these days.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis