Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I'm listening to the Dead and Company* 2019/11/06 Uniondale, NY.

95% of the time I'm either listening to Grateful Dead concerts (not studio stuff) or Dead and Company concerts.
I've got the downloads for 89 Dead and Company concerts and 158 Grateful Dead concerts and the collection grows all the time.

* The latest (and best in my opinion) reincarnation of the Grateful Dead since Jerry died with 3 original members and three new members.

ETA: Here have a picture :)

View attachment 61489
Now I'm listening to Dead and Company 2019/11/08 Hampton, VA

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I could listen to that song all day. Nice find.
They have a lot of good music. I found (and a bunch of others) them selecting the station Galactic (a sort of modern funk band I found via Maceo Parker radio on Pandora some time back) on amzon prime for a change of pace from classics. I was surprised to find a modern jam band with guitar solos and great vocals, in spite of the use of vocal synth, which I am typically not a fan of, but they implement it kind of nicely.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
They have a lot of good music. I found (and a bunch of others) them selecting the station Galactic (a sort of modern funk band I found via Maceo Parker radio on Pandora some time back) on amzon prime for a change of pace from classics. I was surprised to find a modern jam band with guitar solos and great vocals, in spite of the use of vocal synth, which I am typically not a fan of, but they implement it kind of nicely.
I like the studio material from Goose so far but they extend their live versions too long. :D

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I like the studio material from Goose so far but they extend their live versions too long. :D
How long are their long live versions? With the Dead anything less than 8 minutes is short. I prefer the 15 minute+ songs. I have a 47 minute Darkstar. It didn't fit on one side of a cassette.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I agree. I find this to be a trend wit a lot of bands in this genre, and others. Have never really been a fan of live recordings anyway. I prefer studio recordings across the board.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
How long are their long live versions? With the Dead anything less than 8 minutes is short. I prefer the 15 minute+ songs. I have a 47 minute Darkstar. It didn't fit on one side of a cassette.
Here is their show in Chicago from 2021. 3 hours and 23 minutes!

If that's a bit much, this two song clip is pretty good:

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I agree. I find this to be a trend wit a lot of bands in this genre, and others. Have never really been a fan of live recordings anyway. I prefer studio recordings across the board.
In general but there are exceptions. The live recordings from Porcupine Tree, for example, sound fabulous.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
In general but there are exceptions. The live recordings from Porcupine Tree, for example, sound fabulous.
The part of live recordings I don't care for mostly is, audience cheering etc. I do notice the audio quality is good on some, but I don't typically need the total "like I am there" experience. I remember when I was an avid concert goer, and often being disappointed with the bands live sound vs. their studio work.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
The part of live recordings I don't care for mostly is, audience cheering etc. I do notice the audio quality is good on some, but I don't typically need the total "like I am there" experience. I remember when I was an avid concert goer, and often being disappointed with the bands live sound vs. their studio work.
Not that I follow a lot of bands but the sound quality on the Dead and Company stuff is fabulous. They will typically turn the audience up between songs and turn the audience down when they are playing but so slowly that you don't notice.

Try the sound quality on this. The song starts about 6-7 minutes in. All the shows are for sale on Nugs.net

Of course the stuff I bought is FLAC. I don't know what youtube streams at. Anyway, I was at this show.

Last edited:
crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I tend to start with studio tracks on YouTube and if I like the band then I'll check out some live material.
I will probably give them a try, not just because you recommend but I've seen them listed next to things I am looking for. Specifically if I'm looking for a Grateful Dead or a Dead and Company video on youtube, Goose frequently comes up on that right hand side list of other suggestions. So I have no idea how youtube makes suggestions but it seems to think that I'll like Goose too.

ETA: I just learned that one of the drummer on Goose joined Dead and Company for the Drums>Space on their last Cancun shows.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I will probably give them a try, not just because you recommend but I've seen them listed next to things I am looking for. Specifically if I'm looking for a Grateful Dead or a Dead and Company video on youtube, Goose frequently comes up on that right hand side list of other suggestions. So I have no idea how youtube makes suggestions but it seems to think that I'll like Goose too.

ETA: I just learned that one of the drummer on Goose joined Dead and Company for the Drums>Space on their last Cancun shows.
Youtube uses AI to find similar material and I've found a number of new bands through the recommendations, like King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard and Wolf Alice.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Most of what started this was listening to the group "WAR" on Scamazon. One of my older brothers albums, "The World Is A Ghetto" just got blended into my small album collection when I was like 11 years old. That helped me find a passion for psychedelic jazz/soul music. David Parry from Pink Floyd got me into searching saxophone music. That and the "Harlem Nocturne" intro on the Mike Hammer TV series years ago.

David Bowie got me into funk with his songs "Golden Years," and "Fame." All of that landed me in this rather Indie, jam band, jazz, soul kind of thing. I have found a lot of good material and end up looking forward to where it takes me now.

Pandora really did a great job too on discovery mode.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Playing A Town Called Earth by Greyboy Allstars, louder than usual. It's glorious! Boogie down dance party on Sunday afternoon, let's fuckin go!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
WOW Celtic Woman A New Journey. Scarboro Fair Canticle is one of my favorite older songs. I just stumbled onto a newer version of this song by the Celtic Woman. Beyond goosebumps. Thank you, Hayley, your voice is like that of an angel. Maybe one of my favorite songs in the last few decades. :) Or ever.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis