OLED recommendation and eArc question

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I truly find it hard to believe anyone with a plasma or OLED will never have burn in. The celebrated Panasonic ST series had burn in for me after a couple of years and like others have stated even OLED can have it even after a few months. Your results may vary but it will happen unless you watch only movies 24/7. Rtings.com did a very good write up/real life test so it's really only a matter of time for plasma and OLED owners. I would rather own a QLED from Samsung with no risk and sacrifice some black levels than being paranoid about what I watch. "Don't leave Cartoon Network on too long kids or you'll forever burn in that logo for everything we watch!"

Like I and others have noted, no burn in, come check it out. The TV is still here. PS: we don't play games and I dam sure don't leave CNN on . I can see a gamer just leaving it there, for hours and days. But my Sony never has gave us a hint of that. Nd my PANNY still holding on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure, some may get burn-in with plasma but I think they did have to do something particular to get there. I've left the same screen running particularly when streaming audio files for sometimes hours at a time but nothing so far has created any burn-in (i.e. permanent). Not an issue and this is on a plasma with something like 25,000 hours on it. I picked up a used similar model a little while back that only has 8000 hours and no problem there either. The LCD set I had before the plasma definitely had screen issues right out of the box....flashlighting and clouding issues plus motion was meh.

sweetness34

sweetness34

Enthusiast
I truly find it hard to believe anyone with a plasma or OLED will never have burn in. The celebrated Panasonic ST series had burn in for me after a couple of years and like others have stated even OLED can have it even after a few months. Your results may vary but it will happen unless you watch only movies 24/7. Rtings.com did a very good write up/real life test so it's really only a matter of time for plasma and OLED owners. I would rather own a QLED from Samsung with no risk and sacrifice some black levels than being paranoid about what I watch. "Don't leave Cartoon Network on too long kids or you'll forever burn in that logo for everything we watch!"

Not sure why you are stating everyone will get burn in as a fact. I had a Panasonic Plasma for 10 years with zero burn in. I’ve had my current Sony OLED for almost 2 years with zero burn in.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
50,000 OLED’s are sold each year, there are a couple hundred people with burn in issues. Out of those almost all are covered by the manufacturer well outside of their warranty period. If you read the forums it is more often than not the manufacturer replaces a screen well outside of the warranty.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My OLED has a screensaver mode. For example, when I am streaming web radio through the TV's web app, the screensaver will kick on after maybe 5-10 mins (but obviously the audio stream continues).

I believe it also has some "pixel refresh / pixel shift" setting that is specifically used to avoid burn-in. I think I turned on that option at initial setup.

I do think "paranoid" about burn in is the appropriate term for anyone that is worried about it. I suppose the evidence suggests that it "could" happen, but my personal experience and feedback suggests that it is unlikely if you take even moderate precautions.

At the end of the day, burn-in really was not enough of a concern for me to deny myself of the best display quality and technology that is currently available! Once the 77" model gets to a more reasonable price, I will likely move the 65" to the man cave and the living room gets the 77".

EDIT: Personally, I was much more worried about dead pixels out of the box vs. burn-in! That is likely a more realistic concern. I have not found any dead pixels, but I have not gone over the display inch by inch either.....once you see it, you can't unsee it.

P

ParisB

Audioholic

False

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I've owned two Pioneer Kuro plasmas since 2008, and have never had burn in. Plus hundreds of clients who have never had burn-in either.

If you are marginally careful you can certainly avoid it. I may be wrong here, but I think OLED is more prone to burn-in than plasma was.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I have an 8 year old Samsung plasma. I was concerned about all the talk about burn in when I bought the TV but it turned out to be unfounded. I do get some very temporary image retention from letterboxing, a Roku screen etc. that I can see on a black/grey background, but it is not generally noticeable and in any event goes away very quickly after playing some other content. It is not burn in.

It's different technology, but I would think that current OLEDs have features that would make them even more resistant to burn in than plasmas from a decade ago that many people have been using without any problem.

B

bilgirami

Junior Audioholic
Had a plasma for over 10 years (50"), no burn-in. Just upgraded to 65" Sony OLED last week. Looooovvvveeee the image quality. I will let everyone know in a few years time if there is any burn in. ;)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Had a plasma for over 10 years (50"), no burn-in. Just upgraded to 65" Sony OLED last week. Looooovvvveeee the image quality. I will let everyone know in a few years time if there is any burn in. ;)
Congrats, one of those is on my list.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I have a client who bought an LG OLED a few years ago and had burn in within 6 months of purchasing it from Best Buy. He learned to not leave the financial ticker on the TV for hours at a time after that.
Making financial decisions based upon financial ticker will cost him many times over the cost of his LG OLED.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Had a Panasonic VT plasma for 9 years, no burn-in, but the image retention could be annoying at times. My new LG OLED does not have image retention, at least not that I notice.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've owned two Pioneer Kuro plasmas since 2008, and have never had burn in. Plus hundreds of clients who have never had burn-in either.

If you are marginally careful you can certainly avoid it. I may be wrong here, but I think OLED is more prone to burn-in than plasma was.
When it comes to plasma burn in, it very much depended on the manufacturer AND the product level. Low end 720p samsung plasmas had burn in issues, but those were still a bit earlier. The same generation Panasonic plasmas didn't have burn in issues. Granted, this is from displaying the same content over and over in a retail environment, but still.

I've got a 12 year old panasonic and an 9 year old and neither have had burn in issues. I even used the older one as a PC monitor for a few years.

As for OLED burn in, it seems it is on a per panel basis. Some people get it very quickly and it ruins the TV, others don't get it at all and don't see what all the fuss is about. My brother in law is the LG rep at his local Best Buy and I've asked him about burn in and he says it can happen, but you have to "abuse" your TV. Watching something with a ticker for hours and hours on end, static images that don't change for hours. Even if you do that and watch a movie or use the scrubber like on most plasmas, you will remove whatever retention you get.

Just like with Plasma people confuse burn in with image retention. One is permanent, the other isn't.

Don't do these things and you probably won't have issues.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Forgot, buy the LG unless Sony or Vizio has a feature you like. I don't like WebOS that LG uses so I'd go for a Sony. That is 100% personal preference since LG makes all the panels anyway.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Had a Panasonic VT plasma for 9 years, no burn-in, but the image retention could be annoying at times. My new LG OLED does not have image retention, at least not that I notice.
As I mentioned above, no burn in on my 8 year old Samsung plasma. But I have been noticing more image retention of late. Is that something that tends to get worse with the age of the panel?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
As I mentioned above, no burn in on my 8 year old Samsung plasma. But I have been noticing more image retention of late. Is that something that tends to get worse with the age of the panel?
To be honest, I don't know, nor am I sure if it got worse or better over the years as I didn't have a reference/measurements to compare with.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think so. My VT60 is going on 9 years old and it seems to retain an image pretty quickly when before it took longer.

It goes away in seconds when watching something, but I've noticed that too. I've also got a TON of hours on mine so I'm not sure if you're up as high as I am hours wise, but it may be more to do with that than actual age.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
When it comes to plasma burn in, it very much depended on the manufacturer AND the product level. Low end 720p samsung plasmas had burn in issues, but those were still a bit earlier. The same generation Panasonic plasmas didn't have burn in issues. Granted, this is from displaying the same content over and over in a retail environment, but still.

I've got a 12 year old panasonic and an 9 year old and neither have had burn in issues. I even used the older one as a PC monitor for a few years.

As for OLED burn in, it seems it is on a per panel basis. Some people get it very quickly and it ruins the TV, others don't get it at all and don't see what all the fuss is about. My brother in law is the LG rep at his local Best Buy and I've asked him about burn in and he says it can happen, but you have to "abuse" your TV. Watching something with a ticker for hours and hours on end, static images that don't change for hours. Even if you do that and watch a movie or use the scrubber like on most plasmas, you will remove whatever retention you get.

Just like with Plasma people confuse burn in with image retention. One is permanent, the other isn't.

Don't do these things and you probably won't have issues.
CRT could have burn in too, seems that most people have forgotten about that, or not old enough to remember.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I guess I qualify age-wise :D CRT was far less prone to burn-in than plasma.
Kind of depends......CRT burn-in is certainly one of the items to check for grading and pricing on vintage arcade games today. Think of health banners in fighting games and such.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis