OLED recommendation and eArc question

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I think I’ll be upgrading some components in the next couple of months to an OLED, can’t decide between LG CX or Vizio H1. The Vizio is $500 less and I don’t see a lot of complaints about major issues, pluses and minuses for both.

The other question, does eArc pass a signal from another source back to the AVR. If I hook up an Xbox series X directly to the TV can I pass the audio back to the AVR? Not real excited about buying a TV, Xbox and AVR all at once.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think I’ll be upgrading some components in the next couple of months to an OLED, can’t decide between LG CX or Vizio H1. The Vizio is $500 less and I don’t see a lot of complaints about major issues, pluses and minuses for both.

The other question, does eArc pass a signal from another source back to the AVR. If I hook up an Xbox series X directly to the TV can I pass the audio back to the AVR? Not real excited about buying a TV, Xbox and AVR all at once.
LG is the gold standard for OLED TVs, and in my view worth the extra. The answer to your other two questions is Yes, and Yes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder who makes the Vizio for them. Could it be LG? Samsung? Who else has the tech? Personally I'd go with LG in any case, they have been the leader in this tech for a while.

I also wonder if all tvs will pass out via eARC what is input in the way of lossless codecs from outside sources....I would hope so as that's the only way you're currently going to get such.....but still I wonder, as when ARC originally came out some tvs only passed out multich derived from over-the-air programming rather than any of its own apps (let alone what other sources you plugged into the tv).

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I wonder who makes the Vizio for them. Could it be LG? Samsung? Who else has the tech? Personally I'd go with LG in any case, they have been the leader in this tech for a while.

I also wonder if all tvs will pass out via eARC what is input in the way of lossless codecs from outside sources....I would hope so as that's the only way you're currently going to get such.....but still I wonder, as when ARC originally came out some tvs only passed out multich derived from over-the-air programming rather than any of its own apps (let alone what other sources you plugged into the tv).
I’m pretty sure LG makes all domestic OLED screens, the only other manufacturer is Panasonic if I’m not mistaken.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m pretty sure LG makes all domestic OLED screens, the only other manufacturer is Panasonic if I’m not mistaken.
I'd seen something about the transparent OLED on a video this morning and had looked briefly at an article that mentioned LG and Samsung had developed prototypes, I think I assumed they were the two capable of manufacturing....but don't know. I think I saw that LG does Sony's. Back several years when I worked we had a client that was involved with OLED development with LG and the brainy guys at our customer said LG was the shiznit :)

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic

CX gets better reviews but I stay away from OLED due to the nature of burn in issues. Stick with a nice LCD until new tech comes out and yes burn in is very real. Look at the Rtings.com folks for all your TV needs. Yes you can hook up all your inputs to your TV then run it ARC to the receiver.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If you wanna save money get the Vizio oled. If you got the money then go LG. I'd throw in Sony as well. I bought my Vizio 4KTV(M8 series quantum, not qled) last year and I'm happy as heck. The blacks and colors are fantastic for the price. Go in person and look at them in person and compare. Because your eyes will know.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you wanna save money get the Vizio oled. If you got the money then go LG. I'd throw in Sony as well. I bought my Vizio 4KTV(M8 series quantum, not qled) last year and I'm happy as heck. The blacks and colors are fantastic for the price.
Any burn in issues? I remember when I got my plasmas that was the big warning that never materialized....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
CX gets better reviews but I stay away from OLED due to the nature of burn in issues. Stick with a nice LCD until new tech comes out and yes burn in is very real. Look at the Rtings.com folks for all your TV needs. Yes you can hook up all your inputs to your TV then run it ARC to the receiver.
I have had an OLED for 18 months now and have had zero burn in issues.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’m not overly concerned with burn in., after seeing OLEDs and other screen technologies side by side it’s tough to go with anything else

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I have a client who bought an LG OLED a few years ago and had burn in within 6 months of purchasing it from Best Buy. He learned to not leave the financial ticker on the TV for hours at a time after that.

ToniScot

ToniScot

Enthusiast
I use LG B9 and I have problems with the matrix, black is not as natural as it should be, I would advise you to consider Samsung

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a client who bought an LG OLED a few years ago and had burn in within 6 months of purchasing it from Best Buy. He learned to not leave the financial ticker on the TV for hours at a time after that.
Reminds me of a roommate with a rear projection crt set with the permanent stain of the espn logo because that's basically all he watched.....personally I do tend to avoid content with some glaring logo on the screen all the time, let alone info bars and such...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I am fairly certain that LG is the only game in town when it comes to large OLED panels, so even the Vizio will use the LG panels.

I'm going to tell you to go LG, but for a completely different reason! I absolutely love the LG Magic Remote! It works similar to the Nintendo Wii motion controllers (Wiimotes). This is a feature that they better get right, and they did.

I have almost all of my sources going to the LG TV and using eARC back to my Denon. I did this simply for the ease of use with the magic remote as my universal remote and the HDMI-CEC features. It all works pretty well for me, just a couple minor quirks.

But, with that being said, the warning is, don't put all of your eggs in the eARC/HDMI-CEC basket. Not all makes/models will play nice together, and can be a huge hassle. I feel like I got lucky with how well mine works, and there is no going back at this point.

EDIT-- I have never once been concerned with OLED burn-in, and have not seen any as of yet either. I also don't understand any of the complaints about OLED black levels or absolute brightness levels (even in my bright ambient light room).

P

ParisB

Audioholic
I'd pick Sony OLED (A8H or A9G) better quality overall.

But LG over Vizio is easy choice.

P.s. - LG Display makes all the panels, including for LG electronics, Sony, Vizio etc. It's just the hardware though.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Yes you can hook up all your inputs to your TV then run it ARC to the receiver.
I love this feature as I picked up a Integra DHC-80 for next to nothing in mint condition and the limiting factor in using it for HDMI source switching is 1.4 and it can't do 60fps 4K if I read the spec correctly.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Any burn in issues? I remember when I got my plasmas that was the big warning that never materialized....
I had a OLED in a den since they came out and yet to have any burn in. Just like my Panny Plasma that will be replaced this year with a 65 " OLED, if the Panny dies /. And on the Plasmas they always talked about , phosphor trails , burn in, short life span. Well I've had none of these problems and my Plasma just keeps on working and its used daily.

jinjuku

jinjuku

My Samsung plasma is going on 12 years old and still looks great. It will be a sad day when it goes.

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
I truly find it hard to believe anyone with a plasma or OLED will never have burn in. The celebrated Panasonic ST series had burn in for me after a couple of years and like others have stated even OLED can have it even after a few months. Your results may vary but it will happen unless you watch only movies 24/7. Rtings.com did a very good write up/real life test so it's really only a matter of time for plasma and OLED owners. I would rather own a QLED from Samsung with no risk and sacrifice some black levels than being paranoid about what I watch. "Don't leave Cartoon Network on too long kids or you'll forever burn in that logo for everything we watch!"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis