M

Mercury 1

Audiophyte
I currently have a copland csa28 amp it's about 20 years old and badly in need of a service. I was just wondering would I be better of saving my money and investing in a new Cambridge cxa81.. I know this may be almost criminal in some quarters but I'm wondering if new equipment at around the 1000 pound mark is equivelant to the old top of the range equipment. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks M

Carsandmusicguy

Carsandmusicguy

Audiophyte
I would honestly consider getting the old one serviced if its reasonably priced and not over the top to fix it. If you have to pay an arm and a leg then i would consider something new.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I currently have a copland csa28 amp it's about 20 years old and badly in need of a service. I was just wondering would I be better of saving my money and investing in a new Cambridge cxa81.. I know this may be almost criminal in some quarters but I'm wondering if new equipment at around the 1000 pound mark is equivelant to the old top of the range equipment. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks M
A lot of people think old gear like amplifiers of the good old days are better than today's that don't appear to have the same build quality. That may be true in general, in terms of build quality but to me that's mostly in being heavier, larger/heavier heat sinks, more metal than plastic sort of physical things. In terms of electronic advance, use of ICs vs discrete components, consistency in specs/tolerances, I do trust the more up to date gear.

The CSA28's specs appears to be:
www.adverts.ie/home-audio/copland-csa-28-valve-mosfet-hybrid-integrated-amplifier/9466324

Not bad for a hybrid amp of the late 90's, but I do think it is better to save your money and get a more modern integrated amp. I wouldn't consider the CXA81 because I doubt it could match the performance of the CSA28 that is in top shape.

Specifications:

Output power: 2 x 60 W into 8 ohms
Phono Input impedance: 47 k Ohms
Phono Sensitivity: 3 mV
Line Input impedance: 33 k Ohms
Line Sensitivity: 130 mV
Power bandwidth: 5 Hz - 30 kHz - 3 dB - Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 120 kHz - 3 dB
Harmonic distortion: Better than 90 dB
Hum and noise : Line - better than 90 dB
Hum and noise : Phono - better than 76 dB
Phase: Non inverting
Vacuum tubes: 2 x 6922 (All valves are hand selected and matched to ensure identical characteristics)
Grounding: Separate grounding on power supply. Signal/chassis connected to signal ground.
Power Consumption: 250 watts
Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 125 x 375 mm
Weight: 13kg

M

Mercury 1

Audiophyte
Hi Peng, thanks a mill really appreciate the feedback cheers

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
As Peng said...
Better to move up to a new amplifier, the bench labor rate plus parts=total $ cost will surprise U...
Doesn't make sense to fix unless U have some sentimental attachment or a close friend that will do the repair for gratis.....

Just my $0.02... ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I support PEng's arguement about the build quality and the quality of moden electronic components. That being said, find out how much its going to cost to get repaired. If the repair costs are reasonable, get it fixed and keep it out of the land fill. Its specs are pretty good.

M

Mercury 1

Audiophyte
Think assuming the costs of service isn't too much I'll hang onto the csa28 otherwise I'll shop around for something other than the cxa81. Thanks again for the replies appreciated

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Think assuming the costs of service isn't too much I'll hang onto the csa28 otherwise I'll shop around for something other than the cxa81. Thanks again for the replies appreciated
That sounds logical, but do make sure you get a competent shop/technician and insist on a detailed report of which part(s) they replaced. It is quite likely that they have use substituted parts or parts (examples: tubes, transistors) found on the used market, and they should tell you the part numbers so you can find out if they are truly equivalents.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis