old guys, old drivers and old ways

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a great point. You can have fantastic sounding speakers but improperly placed or certain room modes will change it. What you have might sound great to your ears now, but measurements can show you where issues lie that can be corrected (even if it's just moving the speakers or listening position) that translate to audible improvements.

Who wouldn't want to know if their system can be improved upon, especially if it only involves moving some stuff around?

M

mobile_bob

Enthusiast
I'll just start with the last bit with a nit pick :). You wouldn't measure the speakers particularly but the response at given points in the room (depending on your needs). Measuring speakers you're making is a bit different. If the guy wanted to experiment or not would be a personal choice, just like you choosing to put together speakers from odds and ends for fun. Personally I'd be curious if it could be improved upon by improving response, whether it was simply a matter of finding a better spot for the speakers or the seat, or (horrors) applying a bit of eq. Or not. Some guys buy ridiculously expensive cables to try and tweak the sound without trying science :) YMMV.

As to measuring gear for speaker making, a DATS kit from Parts-Express could help identify T/S parameters if you didn't have those among other things for speaker design/measurement. They bundle it with their Omnimic kit (measuring mic, software package) for room measurement....but for room measurement you could buy a measurement mic and use REW software for less $.
thank you for your input
one question if i might? REW software, what is it and where do i read about it, and purchase it?
thanks
bob g

M

mobile_bob

Enthusiast
I'll just start with the last bit with a nit pick :). You wouldn't measure the speakers particularly but the response at given points in the room (depending on your needs). Measuring speakers you're making is a bit different. If the guy wanted to experiment or not would be a personal choice, just like you choosing to put together speakers from odds and ends for fun. Personally I'd be curious if it could be improved upon by improving response, whether it was simply a matter of finding a better spot for the speakers or the seat, or (horrors) applying a bit of eq. Or not. Some guys buy ridiculously expensive cables to try and tweak the sound without trying science :) YMMV.

As to measuring gear for speaker making, a DATS kit from Parts-Express could help identify T/S parameters if you didn't have those among other things for speaker design/measurement. They bundle it with their Omnimic kit (measuring mic, software package) for room measurement....but for room measurement you could buy a measurement mic and use REW software for less $
ok, i did a sweep and found a peak in and around the 240hz range, and things drop out below about 150hz pretty quickly, of course i have a rather crude way of measuring using a db meter and signal generator...

your comment re. a bit of EQ got me to thinking, and i remembered i had an old graphic equalizer tucked away, and drug it out...

set it flat and then did a 4db cut in the 250hz band, and added 3db in the 125hz and left everything else alone, the peak was tamed, and i have sat back and just listened.. and i am done! at least with this set. (using one pair as a stereo pair, with cd's and lp's. being driven by an old denon pma 920amp.

the imaging is wonderful, much better than my jbl150a speakers, and much a wider sound stage, and there is sufficient bass to satisfy both the wife and I, which is nothing short of unbelievable for the low investment i have in these puppies.

they have given me the drive to want to step up and start the design process on the next set, i am thinking that "if" i were to do proper design with real tools and all the rest, maybe things will be even better?

thanks again
bob g

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis