Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
In their introduction to those new cables, they conclude with the following:
"In bringing these Iconoclast cables to market, we hope to inject a bit of fresh air into the high-end audio cable world: serious, straightforward, documented engineering applied to the task of producing the best in audio performance."

They will succeed in making money with people who don't know much about electricity and physics and those who believe they can hear a difference with expensive cables. Let them buy them! We can put our money on equipment where it really counts!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
They are not kidding around with those prices...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I must have missed the connection to Blu Jeans.

And, for sure missed any actual evidence for audible differences.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Makes me sick.
Do Rolexes and Patek Phillipe watches make you sick too? Fancy cables, like luxury watches, are just functional jewelry. I don't own either (I wear an $9 plastic watch, when I wear one), but if people like fancy jewelry, I say: go for it. In the high tech industry, especially in the Bay Area, one easy way to get some guy from another company to like you is to complement his expensive watch, if he's wearing one. A lot of executives wear them. And you show serious interest when they tell you the story behind it. That strategy works every time. :)

The truth is that standard Blue Jeans cables are a bit of a luxury item too. You know as well as I do that Monoprice is just as technically good, but I like Blue Jeans termination quality and their awesome customer service. And I can afford to pay for it, so I do. I know you'll agree, some things are just worth paying for. But not that Iconoclast stuff; not for me. ;-)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
3rd paragraph talks about Blue Jeans
Looks like its a joint venture from Belden and Blue Jeans. It looks to me like it is more of Belden's project, or at least the brainchild of one of Belden's engineers, if you read through the site.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

3rd paragraph talks about Blue Jeans
OK, thanks. Found it with a direct connection to Blue Jeans. But, I wonder if they just assemble the cables as they have the means and is the go between operation or, are they in fact one company now or a subsidiary?

This also caught my interest: Galen Gareis had decades of experience in designing practical, well-engineered cables for a wide variety of professional applications; but he was also a high-end audio enthusiast, and when he began to try different audio cables, he heard differences for which he could not fully account.
Really curious how did he establish audible differences. I bet the same way audiophiles do, simple sighted.:)

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Do Rolexes and Patek Phillipe watches make you sick too? Fancy cables, like luxury watches, are just functional jewelry. I don't own either (I wear an $9 plastic watch, when I wear one),but if people like fancy jewelry, I say: go for it. In the high tech industry, especially in the Bay Area, one easy way to get some guy from another company to like you is to complement his expensive watch, if he's wearing one. A lot of executives wear them. And you show serious interest when they tell you the story behind it. That strategy works every time. :)

The truth is that standard Blue Jeans cables are a bit of a luxury item too. You know as well as I do that Monoprice is just as technically good, but I like Blue Jeans termination quality and their awesome customer service. And I can afford to pay for it, so I do. I know you'll agree, some things are just worth paying for. But not that Iconoclast stuff; not for me. ;-)
I've always liked BJC. I guess I'm just a little disappointed in their new product line. Yes, their termination is the best. Regardless, I'll always be a customer of Blue Jeans Cable of Seattle.

And I too wear a cheap watch, a $10 dollar analog Casio that ironically enough has been the best watch I've ever owned. Keeps perfect time. Looks nice too.

Take that Rolex. ;)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Some people buy expensive equipment of any sort. They can afford it, they were told by sales persons that what they were purchasing was better and so forth.

I'm sure that, for very expensive audio stuff, be it amps, CD, Blu-ray players, AVRs, speakers or cables, a lot of them most possibly don't have much improvement if any in performance and they were kind of brain washed in thinking that there's some. But some won't admit that they were screwed but say that their equipment sounds better, otherwise they feel they would look stupid to admit it.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Some people buy expensive equipment of any sort. They can afford it, they were told by sales persons that what they were purchasing was better and so forth.

I'm sure that, for very expensive audio stuff, be it amps, CD, Blu-ray players, AVRs, speakers or cables, a lot of them most possibly don't have much improvement if any in performance and they were kind of brain washed in thinking that there's some. But some won't admit that they were screwed but say that their equipment sounds better, otherwise they feel they would look stupid to admit it.
Perhaps it's just the way you've worded it, but your post sounds awfully cynical. Some people just have different priorities than you, and aesthetics are more important to them than they are to you. I run into a lot of that.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Perhaps it's just the way you've worded it, but your post sounds awfully cynical. Some people just have different priorities than you, and aesthetics are more important to them than they are to you. I run into a lot of that.
I didn't generalize when I say "Some" and I agree with you in that aesthetics are more important for some people.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I've always liked BJC. I guess I'm just a little disappointed in their new product line. Yes, their termination is the best. Regardless, I'll always be a customer of Blue Jeans Cable of Seattle.

And I too wear a cheap watch, a $10 dollar analog Casio that ironically enough has been the best watch I've ever owned. Keeps perfect time. Looks nice too.

Take that Rolex. ;)

Same here, I've been using Blue Jeans Cables for a long time, since they were always straight up and honest about their products but this was kinda a shocker of sorts along with Belden. .

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... but this was kinda a shocker of sorts along with Belden. .
I am wondering if that Belden engineer retired from the company and connected with Blue Jeans or what.
Why would Belden itself enter the marketplace in this regard.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I am wondering if that Belden engineer retired from the company and connected with Blue Jeans or what.
Why would Belden itself enter the marketplace in this regard.
He worked at Belden cable engineering. A huge post going on at computer audiophile with the players of Iconoclast, interesting

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
But, I'll still buy Blue Jean Cable. For the price, the construction it just works.

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
Do Rolexes and Patek Phillipe watches make you sick too? Fancy cables, like luxury watches, are just functional jewelry. I don't own either (I wear an $9 plastic watch, when I wear one), but if people like fancy jewelry, I say: go for it. In the high tech industry, especially in the Bay Area, one easy way to get some guy from another company to like you is to complement his expensive watch, if he's wearing one. A lot of executives wear them. And you show serious interest when they tell you the story behind it. That strategy works every time. :)

I agree that BJ cables are a bit pricey but we are paying for quality, consistency, solid terminations and great customer support. We do not deceive ourself that we are getting better SQ compared to Monoprice. However, the Iconoclast issue is NOT a case of brand snobbery. Expensive watches don't pretend to tell "better time" than standard watches. These nonsensically priced Iconoclast cables make the claim that SQ can be improved through their use. I had a long and very unpleasant exchange with their principals asking them to simply put their money where their mouth is and do some blinded tests. You can't imagine the nonsense that came back, never once admitting that such tests would be of any value. They even claimed that blind testing would somehow cause a deterioration in quality of standard cables from BJ. In fact your watch analogy is doubly inaccurate because if you've seen Iconoclast cables, they are ugly as sin.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis