Office Computer/Desktop speker/system Recommendations

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I have been getting by in my small home office with a Klipsch 2.1 mulimedia system for too long and am thinking of upgrading to something of better quality. I don't have a ton of space and preferably would like something that can sit on my desk.

The speakers will do double duty for both listening purposes (the majority) as well as studio monitors as I use my computer for some basic home audio recording. I generally listen at fairly low volume.

The speakers will be connected to a small Mackie USB audio interface that is hooked up to my Mac computer.

Opinions/recommendations welcome and appreciated.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Well if you've been reading this forum you'd see that @shadyJ has been raving over these speakers. I've not heard them myself

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
To add to that, I was considering briefly the KRK Rokits and JBL 30x MkII. Shady did reviews of four other Studio Monitors (which Max linked one above).
For me, as a supplemental system in room with my main rig, I ultimately couldn’t justify the cost of spending on two Monitors and a Sub. Your situation is different.
Here’s a video AH did that covers all four in a Shootout:

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Well if you've been reading this forum you'd see that @shadyJ has been raving over these speakers. I've not heard them myself

These look great although I suspect a bit large for my desk. I think they make smaller versions, but then I might need a sub. I suppose I could probably squeeze a couple of speaker stands next to my desk ....

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
To add to that, I was considering briefly the KRK Rokits and JBL 30x MkII. Shady did reviews of four other Studio Monitors (which Max linked one above).
For me, as a supplemental system in room with my main rig, I ultimately couldn’t justify the cost of spending on two Monitors and a Sub. Your situation is different.
Here’s a video AH did that covers all four in a Shootout:
Thanks. I'll check out the video. I also had been looking at the JBLs. I like the smaller speakers but then I figure I will need a sub. I keep looking to simplify and get rid of some wires/cables, but somehow no matter what I do they seem to proliferate. :rolleyes:

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
These look great although I suspect a bit large for my desk. I think they make smaller versions, but then I might need a sub. I suppose I could probably squeeze a couple of speaker stands next to my desk ....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't heard these myself, but reviews are good:

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

T

TechToys2

Audioholic

Thanks. Looks like i've got some research to do!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Pay very close attention to the specs and FR of edifier. I looked for a while. The Logitech and klipsch 2.1 thx systems are better. :)
That said audioengine a5+ may be a solution.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
From everything I've heard about Edifier and Audioengine I'd skip both brands:
I'd seen Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 thx on sale at Costco as low as $80 (in-store, bit more expensive online) - It's desktop PC gold standard speakers and has been for ages.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I was very, very impressed when I heard the KEF LSX in a semi-nearfield environment - I can only imagine how good they would sound set up on a desk (and they're on sale!).

Certified refurbs on A4L:

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Don't mean to intrude. Anyone know if this is any good. Just need a small computer for home use only and no gaming. Maybe for browsing, picture editing and printing:
HP Elite 8300 Ultra Small Slim High Performance Business Computer PC (Intel 3470s 2.9Ghz), 8GB RAM, 120GB Brand New SSD, Wireless WIFI, USB 3.0) Windows 10 Professional (Renewed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074T2L4CC/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_DeM6FbVPB31K7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
At that price I would be surprised if the video card and processor would be up to the challenge of photo editing other than something very basic. But with free returns, you don't have much to lose if you want to give it a shot. For browsing, docs, etc., it will probably be ok, I would think.

EthicalEar

EthicalEar

Junior Audioholic
AudioEngine A5+ is good, I have heard them and would highly recommend them. Good bass from them. Going way back, I had the Klipsch 2.1 then went to the Bose 3.2.1. That broke years ago when I used them as an amp/speakers for my synthesizer. My brother in law who has a business transferring VHS to BLU-RAY uses A5+ to listen and monitor the music he adds to home videos. Just for fun... In my office I have an old Sony AVR on the floor under my desk. I control the volume knob with my foot. When my kid was young I'd lift my hands in the air and say "dad can use the force, I am going to make the volume go up and down with my mind" He was impressed. LOL. I still have the AVR but now I have the DAC on the desktop that controls the volume sent to headphones or AVR. Speakers are Paradigm studio 20 V5 combined with homemade full range speakers (using both speaker A & B setting for the combo). I don't think too many people do this but it is a great office stereo. Got tower surrounds and a big klipsch sub also all in a little office room. When you have old AVR's laying around, don't let them go to waste.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
AudioEngine A5+ is good, I have heard them and would highly recommend them. Good bass from them. Going way back, I had the Klipsch 2.1 then went to the Bose 3.2.1. That broke years ago when I used them as an amp/speakers for my synthesizer. My brother in law who has a business transferring VHS to BLU-RAY uses A5+ to listen and monitor the music he adds to home videos. Just for fun... In my office I have an old Sony AVR on the floor under my desk. I control the volume knob with my foot. When my kid was young I'd lift my hands in the air and say "dad can use the force, I am going to make the volume go up and down with my mind" He was impressed. LOL. I still have the AVR but now I have the DAC on the desktop that controls the volume sent to headphones or AVR. Speakers are Paradigm studio 20 V5 combined with homemade full range speakers (using both speaker A & B setting for the combo). I don't think too many people do this but it is a great office stereo. Got tower surrounds and a big klipsch sub also all in a little office room. When you have old AVR's laying around, don't let them go to waste.
You just gave me an interesting idea. I have a very good, but old AVR that is currently getting looked at by a repair guy. He says there really is very little wrong with it. I already bought a new AVR, so when the old one comes back I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I also have a pair of vintage ADS speakers sitting in boxes that I was trying to figure out what to do with. Maybe I should buy some speaker stands to put next to the desk and use them with the old receiver. A little bigger than I would like, but it should sound great -- although not a studio monitor.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
At that price I would be surprised if the video card and processor would be up to the challenge of photo editing other than something very basic. But with free returns, you don't have much to lose if you want to give it a shot. For browsing, docs, etc., it will probably be ok, I would think.
Even with 8gb of ram?

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Even with 8gb of ram?
I don't know what you are trying to do, but the minimum requirements for Adobe Lightroom is 4GB of RAM and 1 GB of video ram (more is preferred -- 8GB of each is recommended). I would imagine this machine doesn't have a separate video card and it doesn't say how much VRAM it has -- I suspect not a lot, but don't know. It might work fine, but I would just keep your expectations in check.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know what you are trying to do, but the minimum requirements for Adobe Lightroom is 4GB of RAM and 1 GB of video ram (more is preferred -- 8GB of each is recommended). I would imagine this machine doesn't have a separate video card and it doesn't say how much VRAM it has -- I suspect not a lot, but don't know. It might work fine, but I would just keep your expectations in check.
Anything you can recommend around the same price range?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis