Odd Speakers and Other Curiosities

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So I'm always flipping through the local Craigslist looking at speakers to see what's out there. Sometimes I run into esoteric brands, odd form factors or vintage speakers I've never heard of or know little about. Most often they're not necessarily anything I'd want to buy, but pique my curiosity nonetheless. I can't think of a better place to ask about these oddballs and maybe learn something in the process. I have a few right now to start. There are a lot more out there tho!

EPI MTB2 Microtowers
01111_36rZ7nG3vw2_600x450.jpg
00W0W_fgWpNqK5Usy_600x450.jpg

Eckman Model 101s
00909_oQv9XyAGS7_600x450.jpg
00202_2n8uV05nS8h_600x450.jpg

JBL Studio Monitor 180 towers and 120 center
00P0P_gDLBVAPPyGh_600x450.jpg
00u0u_1QGI1RsEGre_600x450.jpg

00i0i_eseFb7OAMbs_600x450.jpg

00r0r_h5mnqaTm7Pq_600x450.jpg

Those last ones... I can say I've never seen speakers with that aesthetic before, lol. They look like they belong in Darth Vader's mancave, lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never saw that JBL design but now I can't unsee it :)

These are a favorite of mine, they were made near where I used to work but never really wanted to go over there so stole these from a "high end" audio show he exhibited at. WaveTouch was the brand, the model were Grand Tetons (maybe he's a nipple man).
wavetouch grand teton 2.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Never saw that JBL design but now I can't unsee it :)

These are a favorite of mine, they were made near where I used to work but never really wanted to go over there so stole these from a "high end" audio show he exhibited at. WaveTouch was the brand, the model were Grand Tetons (maybe he's a nipple man).
View attachment 35638
Wait, "stole" 'em? You actually had those?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Rega's are very well finished and seem to be in good condition. They could fit well in a dining room but I never heard them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wait, "stole" 'em? You actually had those?
I knew something was missing....I stole the pics from what I think at the time was a report from the Newport Show (I think it got a silly acronym of some sort after that).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I knew something was missing....I stole the pics from what I think at the time was a report from the Newport Show (I think it got a silly acronym of some sort after that).
Oh! I was thinking maybe you got them dirt cheap or something, lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh! I was thinking maybe you got them dirt cheap or something, lol.
Hey, while my aesthetic allowance for audio gear is large (it just has to be, it's not particularly attractive in the strict sense), and the cabinet construction method has some attractiveness for waste, just not my cup of tea :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I always wanted to try out the NHT Xd 2.1 system ($6,000 MSRP)! I guess they never caught on, but I wish NHT had kept them and continued to refine them! It was a bold move on NHT's part!

Couple of reviews reviews for anyone interested:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I always wanted to try out the NHT Xd 2.1 system ($6,000 MSRP)! I guess they never caught on, but I wish NHT had kept them and continued to refine them! It was a bold move on NHT's part!

Couple of reviews reviews for anyone interested:
Is that a subwoofer in the middle? Those are oddly elegant looking. That baffle looks like it does more than just look curvy too. I'll bet they sounded nice.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Is that a subwoofer in the middle? Those are oddly elegant looking. That baffle looks like it does more than just look curvy too. I'll bet they sounded nice.
Yep on subwoofer.
Stereophile FR:

The heart of the Xd system is the XdA, a four-channel power amplifier that uses PowerPhysics class-D amplifier modules and includes a digital-domain crossover from Australian company DEQX for up to two XdS satellites and two XdW powered bipole subwoofers. The XdA's equalization and filter parameters are held in nonvolatile memory, and can be updated via a USB link using a Windows XP program (provided you have Microsoft's .NET extension installed).

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yep on subwoofer.
Stereophile FR:
With that relatively linear LF response down to 28 Hz except for a small 2.5dB dip at around 120 Hz, this make it a borderline sub, but taking into account its modest dimensions, it can be considered a very good sub for a small room. As a matter of fact, combined with the bookshelves that makes a very satisfactory 2.1 speaker system for all musical demands except for large pipe organ pedal frequencies. It should have a pleasing sound.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It had that external amp/DSP/XO unit and was an active system (amps for each driver after cross-over) checking a lot of theoretical boxes for how to "do it right". It may have been a too controversial speaker for ID only sales back around 2005. If people could check it out at their local Best Buy, it may have been a hit, but people are reluctant to go out on a limb if they can't try before they buy and this system would probably be more effort than most speaker systems to setup, tune, and then tear down, and pack it back up for return.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So I'm always flipping through the local Craigslist looking at speakers to see what's out there. Sometimes I run into esoteric brands, odd form factors or vintage speakers I've never heard of or know little about. Most often they're not necessarily anything I'd want to buy, but pique my curiosity nonetheless. I can't think of a better place to ask about these oddballs and maybe learn something in the process. I have a few right now to start. There are a lot more out there tho!

EPI MTB2 Microtowers
View attachment 35630View attachment 35631

Eckman Model 101s
View attachment 35632View attachment 35633

JBL Studio Monitor 180 towers and 120 center
View attachment 35634View attachment 35635
View attachment 35636
View attachment 35637

Those last ones... I can say I've never seen speakers with that aesthetic before, lol. They look like they belong in Darth Vader's mancave, lol.
Good lord those JBLs are horrifying. What were they thinking? They look like they're out of a bad 80's movie, but they came out in 2010? Wow.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Good lord those JBLs are horrifying. What were they thinking? They look like they're out of a bad 80's movie, but they came out in 2010? Wow.
Those JBLs are what inspired this thread! I was gonna post them in my "good finds" thread, but I don't wanna buy them, lol.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Those made me think of the airmotivs, But I preferred the JBL's aesthetic more.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Speaking of little-known brands...

Drove down to Raleigh a couple weekends ago to pick up a pair of Latvian made Baltek/Baltic 90's. Figured I'd get a cheap stopgap to go into the living room while the Signet's are being restored. These were in production for 20 or more years, as far as I can tell. Real birch cabinets! First pair of speakers I ever got a splinter from. Handle with caution. :oops: I like them a lot more than I expected to. I think they are voiced a lot like the Klipsch RP's I sold, but the midrange keeps voices from being drowned out.

This pic is from the CL ad... I'll have to take some of my own when I get a chance. The midrange cones are both poked in :( but everything works just fine and they look great with the grills on anyway.

b90.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis