NS SW300 Subwoofer rattling

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi, my location in Asia. I bought the same Subwoofer, and facing the same rattling sound when LFE hitting at very low, which is the same as scene from Ready Player One. Opening scene of Edge of Tomorrow also rattles this subwoofer into madness. It doesn't look like a coincidence of having defective driver, unless they all came from the same batch. It looks more the product limitation.
Most definitely a product limitation.

T

terence_terry_MAS

Audiophyte
Hi.
I bought the yamaha ns sw300 and i have the same problem as you do. I reported the problem to the seller, and i after getting 10% discount i decided to keep it so i took my chances and opened it as i thought that i have something inside from my 2 year old son. After long search i found that the woofer was hitting the front grill. Wich was shaking and was making the woofer to create a weird rattle noise like the one in your video. Bad design i guess. Without this problem the sub is exceptional and has a beautifull punchy bass that my other sub presonus temblor t10 has not. Modified the sub. Works beautifull. Cheers
Hi, may I know you still own this SW300 sub? After fixing the grill, no rattling up to now? Can show me how did you modify?

T

terence_terry_MAS

Audiophyte
Hi.
I bought the yamaha ns sw300 and i have the same problem as you do. I reported the problem to the seller, and i after getting 10% discount i decided to keep it so i took my chances and opened it as i thought that i have something inside from my 2 year old son. After long search i found that the woofer was hitting the front grill. Wich was shaking and was making the woofer to create a weird rattle noise like the one in your video. Bad design i guess. Without this problem the sub is exceptional and has a beautifull punchy bass that my other sub presonus temblor t10 has not. Modified the sub. Works beautifull. Cheers
Hi all Yamaha SW300 owner, I have to amend the statement that the driver hitting front grille and causes the rattle. It is not. After I remove the grille, I still hook it to the cabinet but leaving enough gap for driver excursion. Surprisingly, driver does not hit the grille, but still has rattling sound. Rattling sound only disappears when the grille is totally not attached or in contact with the sub cabinet. It comes to my conclusion that the Grille itself is a design flaw, which consists of 3 pieces plastic parts joint with 4 screws. At deep low end bass, the pressure is too strong to vibrate the whole sub cabinet and vibrate the front grille to rattle. You can refer photo for clearer picture. There's no problem with any loose components or driver issue. This Sub is a beast without Grille issue.
Screenshot_20210216_092209.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis