Nova Scotia Forest Fires

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
yep, smoke and haze from Quebec is all over SE Pa now :(

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Ironically, the weather system that has given us so much rain over the last few days and really knocked down the fires in Nova Scotia is also responsible for lightning in Quebec, triggering some awful blazes there. Much of the smoke drifting over the eastern half of the US originates from there.
Smoke Forecast - FireSmoke.ca

We are at the point where most - if not all - of the waterbombers that were working here have been diverted to Quebec.
From Canada with love! :D Looks like a 1970s picture of smog in a big US city.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Man, it looks like California in the summer. Last few years have been crazy fire seasons. This year we got TONS of rain, like it rained hard yesterday in JUNE. The downside of that is we are probably going to have a really bad fire season as well thanks to the explosion in plant growth.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Dry and very hazy hear in Ohio we’ve had smoke for days here from these fires it has cooled down some but they’ve warned us of heavy smoke for tomorrow from this .

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Bad here in the Adirondacks. Yesterday was an orange day. Never seen that kind of eerie light all day. Today is clearer but still tough on the lungs.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Man, it looks like California in the summer. Last few years have been crazy fire seasons. This year we got TONS of rain, like it rained hard yesterday in JUNE. The downside of that is we are probably going to have a really bad fire season as well thanks to the explosion in plant growth.
I just heard on the news this afternoon that some insurance companies will not sell any new home policies in California due to the fires and floods.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just heard on the news this afternoon that some insurance companies will not sell any new home policies in California due to the fires and floods.
Yep, somewhat like some of Florida's insurance issues. I believe its just new policies, don't think they've cancelled existing ones but not sure....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is correct, they already started doing that after the previous fire season, now flood insurance carriers are doing the same.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
That is correct, they already started doing that after the previous fire season, now flood insurance carriers are doing the same.
How do people get mortgages? Home insurance is a requirement to get a mortgage here.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I remember being in Algonquin, Canada and the Quebec fire was raging. you could smell and see the smoke haze.

It's ~600km as the crow flies.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
How do people get mortgages? Home insurance is a requirement to get a mortgage here.
The answer is they won't get mortgages and it will be cash sales. We know a couple here in the Twin Cities who bought a retirement home in Fort Myers, just before the hurricane. Insurance was too expensive, and they risked it, but lost their investment, and only have the lot value. That probably went in clearing up the mess.

Talking of which, the Twin Cities are now a prime climate refugee location, and there is data that is contributing to upward pressure on real estate prices here. I should point out that tornadoes do occur in Minnesota, and there have been two or three in the SW of Minnesota already this Spring, but with minimal to no damage.

All this damage around the country is raising insurance premiums here, especially auto insurance. My RAV four insurance has just been raised $200.00.

We have had bad air quality for several days, now. According to the numbers our air quality is good today, and I have lost track when that last happened. However the sky still looks smoky to me, but I suppose it must be high altitude. The sky does not look normal. Paul Hutner, the long time MPR meteorologist has just warned that we may have suboptimal air quality in Minnesota for most of the summer. With out winters, that is a real bummer.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I remember being in Algonquin, Canada and the Quebec fire was raging. you could smell and see the smoke haze.

It's ~600km as the crow flies.
About 30 years ago, there was a fire in Quebec so large, that the smoke drifting over us in the middle of the afternoon was thick enough to cause the street lights to come on. Birds started chirping because they thought it was dusk. It wasn't bad at ground level, as it was higher up in the atmosphere.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I woke up this morning to air quality warnings of Code Red … or worse, Code Purple or Code Maroon!! I'd never heard of Code Purple or Maroon air quality warnings before :eek:. Is this really dangerous, or is it a slow news day?

I usually ignore such air quality warnings because they lump together all kinds of different air pollutants (pollen, dust, smoke, gasoline or diesel engine pollution, into a single air quality rating. It's like if shoe sizes were limited to small, medium, large, or extra large.

But you just can't ignore Code Red or worse warnings. The sky is noticeably hazy today, and I did smell smoke in the air. My eyes sting a bit.

The weather during much of the past month has been very nice. Sunny, dry, and warm during the day – but not warm or humid enough to need AC. And cool and dry at night – I've slept with the windows open. The mornings can be cool, but by 9-10 am, the sun has comfortably warmed things up again. It's been this way for most all of the past month.

After hearing the air quality warnings, I closed all the windows, and the house has remained about 68°, while it's about 73° outside. I feel chilly, but I don't want to open the windows. Hope it improves tomorrow or Saturday. It's still much better than being in Canada surrounded by forest fires.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I woke up this morning to air quality warnings of Code Red … or worse, Code Purple or Code Maroon!! I'd never heard of Code Purple or Maroon air quality warnings before :eek:. Is this really dangerous, or is it a slow news day?

I usually ignore such air quality warnings because they lump together all kinds of different air pollutants (pollen, dust, smoke, gasoline or diesel engine pollution, into a single air quality rating. It's like if shoe sizes were limited to small, medium, large, or extra large.

But you just can't ignore Code Red or worse warnings. The sky is noticeably hazy today, and I did smell smoke in the air. My eyes sting a bit.

The weather during much of the past month has been very nice. Sunny, dry, and warm during the day – but not warm or humid enough to need AC. And cool and dry at night – I've slept with the windows open. The mornings can be cool, but by 9-10 am, the sun has comfortably warmed things up again. It's been this way for most all of the past month.

After hearing the air quality warnings, I closed all the windows, and the house has remained about 68°, while it's about 73° outside. I feel chilly, but I don't want to open the windows. Hope it improves tomorrow or Saturday. It's still much better than being in Canada surrounded by forest fires.
After a few days of rain, Nova Scotia's fires have been reduced to a search for hot spots. But, in case we haven't had enough, here's our forecast:
Untitled.png

Now, I don't want a return to the conditions that lead to our recent infernos, but c'mon!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can get insurance, you just can't get fire or flood easily or at all from some underwriters, which are either riders or separate policies. Earthquake is also a separate policy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
After a few days of rain, Nova Scotia's fires have been reduced to a search for hot spots. But, in case we haven't had enough, here's our forecast:
View attachment 62259

Now, I don't want a return to the conditions that lead to our recent infernos, but c'mon!!
After our last two years I'd take the rain. We've been very dry for a coupla weeks now and its warming up. Last night had a thunderstorm warning in our area but it didn't quite materialize locally, altho the potential for lightning was high don't see any local fire starts (yet).

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
You can get insurance, you just can't get fire or flood easily or at all from some underwriters, which are either riders or separate policies. Earthquake is also a separate policy.
Just like a Sink Hole rider.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis