Not enough Listening time.

M

Merkules2001

Audioholic
So, I have had a similar experience with another hobby, being golf. When I can't get out to the course enough and play, I find myself looking for new equipment. With the exclusion of graphite from steel, or cavity back from blade they are about the same. Now I have a great sounding system at home, speakers are new, solid receiver, eq and such. So I'm still looking. Is this the same for most on this site? The chase? Finding better? You are never finished.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Car project. Never finished. Part of it is the "It's Christmas" of getting the new (or old -but-new-to-you) stuff. It is just the way it is. Nothing to see here, proceed as usual with your upgrades :)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
So, I have had a similar experience with another hobby, being golf. When I can't get out to the course enough and play, I find myself looking for new equipment. With the exclusion of graphite from steel, or cavity back from blade they are about the same. Now I have a great sounding system at home, speakers are new, solid receiver, eq and such. So I'm still looking. Is this the same for most on this site? The chase? Finding better? You are never finished.
For many, SAD (stereo acquisition disease), is a common occurrence. Sometimes known as "upgradeitis" or other common terms, it tends to run rampant. The biggest problem isn't necessarily your own internal want or question about new equipment and "will it be better?". No, the biggest problem is once you tell the members of AH that you may wish to upgrade, we will spend every dollar you make on the coolest sounding upgrades ever. We will write wonderful prose and tell you about tons of really cool gear "you may wish to consider".

You won't see a post where you ask about "Hey, is the Polk 92XYX a good speaker" and see a simple yeah or nay. Nope. You will see people chime in with a dozen or more speakers that will outshine it and where you can get a great deal on some. Its awesome!

Many times we are tapped out: no money of our own to spend. But we will gladly help you spend all of yours !:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Consumerism can be interesting :). Audiophilia can be a crippling disease, tho. I have another fairly expensive hobby, cycling. I can get pretty geeky with particular gear there, too.

You still use a graphic eq? Or something more modern like PEQ?

Actually I'm pretty much done with my various setups barring equipment failure or desire to build something new in the way of speakers/subs. Electronics are pretty easy these days (depending how much you want to keep up with the latest/greatest av stuff).

I am retired and have been spending a lot of time listening to music...and have a very large collection so hopefully I get my fill before the ol' ears crap out :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Every time I say I'm done, all it takes is for another friend or family member to get something new for the system I helped them build, and I'm doing it again.

Audiophilia Upgraditis is a highly contagious ailment, and can be spread not just by close contact but also by internet, e-mail and text messaged photos. In worst-case instances, it can be hereditary. Oddly, it very rarely spreads to spouses. In fact, spouses often actually develop an increasingly harsh aversion to it.

My turntable could stand being upgraded, and of course the phono amp and cartridge...

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yup, most long term members on here are the same. Hey, at least we aren't wasting $ on fancy cables and audio jewelry!

It does bleed into other hobbies. for example (@lovinthehd ) the Texas summers are brutally hot and humid and leave little time to get on my bike (only early mornings or late evenings, otherwise you will die out there). So, I use the summers to do the maintenance and upgrades I have been putting off on my bikes! My main bike got ~$200 brake upgrades installed (and, those $200 were a deal on parts that came along at a good price!), and I have a dropper seat post waiting to go on. My other bike got a wider/better set of handlebars installed, etc.

One of my other hobbies is astronomy, and I find it very amusing that one of the main forums from that hobby is called "Cloudy Nights"--so, when you have poor weather for astronomy, that's when you get on the forums and start planning for the clear nights!

V

viorelc

Audioholic Intern
There is hope for some of us, some of the time, to settle on our setup and be the true consumer of the setup we wanted (or ended up with). I too have multiple hobbies, and went into upgrades and changing of setups multiple times (for a few good years). But in the last year (fingers crossed) I have decided to make use of what I already have and enjoy. At least for a while. That covers biking, astrophotography, music production, music listening and movies, computers (hardware and software) and networking. In the end, I realized it was a lot of fun learning and doing all these, but spent little time being a user.

I have not changed my music or movies setup for more than a year now, and ignored the settings even when things did not sound to my liking. As a result, it seems that I focus more on the music than my amp, speakers etc.
Same with some of my other hobbies. My last bike only gets the minimum care nowadays, like tires, chain cleanup etc. It may break out of neglect, but prefer being its user than its mechanic.

I cannot promise myself that I’ll settle, as I may break that promise sooner or later. Maybe it’s curiosity or the need for exploration, but they are all part of life’s adventure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Right now, I'm at the point that I need to sell some stuff from various hobbies before I can consider new hobby toys.

Of course, the $ for a toy budget is part of it, but it's also the real estate shortage for new stuff and the fact that I have some nice gear that I haven't had time to use, time for it to go to someone that will use it and enjoy it!

Part of any hobby too, is that you have to start somewhere, and you don't know what you really want and really need until you go through a little gear and get some real experience.

And, the age old advice is always true--the BEST (insert item here) is the one that you actually USE.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
like 'lovin' unless something breaks I'm at a point of total contentment. Still enjoy reading about and listening to new 'gear trends' but no longer have any real interest in spending any more $$ on hardware. As for my other passion, competitive shotgun sports, I haven't quite got those urges under control yet........... there's always another shotgun to buy !

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Despite the (humble) investments in my audio, my most often used audio devices are various Sennheiser headphones and my both cars audio systems. That's it. Subwoofer goes on once in a blue moon.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Despite the (humble) investments in my audio, my most often used audio devices are various Sennheiser headphones and my both cars audio systems. That's it. Subwoofer goes on once in a blue moon.
Curious, that because you still work/commute?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Curious, that because you still work/commute?
I don't car commute, except dropping off kids to daycare & going to park and ride. So car music for me is anytime I drive, But since I'm extra lazy it's usually simply the radio stations - there are a couple of decent ones where I live.
By the time kids asleep, choirs are done, and I have time to watch some TV - it's usually past 10 pm and I have to keep it quiet. Headphones used for this and my bus commute.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am, right now, unnecessarily measuring, tweaking and EQing my already nicely balanced system, chasing after improvements.

Why? Because, lol. At least I don't have to spend anything for this activity but it still falls in line with this thread. I'm never completely 100% satisfied. The struggle is real...

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I am, right now, unnecessarily measuring, tweaking and EQing my already nicely balanced system, chasing after improvements.

Why? Because, lol. At least I don't have to spend anything for this activity but it still falls in line with this thread. I'm never completely 100% satisfied. The struggle is real...
Pogre
Just remember to enjoy what you're doing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You know now that I think about it, if everything was perfectly balanced right out of the box and absolutely no tweaking was needed at all I think I could make the argument that half the fun of this hobby would be gone for me. Aside from remembering how to do everything I'm not getting stressed out or frustrated at all. I'm having fun.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Fellow golfaholic here.

I've turned over my entire bag (including the bag it self) with one exception and it's soon to go as well, but prior to that I basically had the same clubs for at least 10-12 yrs. I'm not really a distance chaser...hit it straight chaser, yes...:)

I'm about 2 yrs into owning my new HT system build and so far I have no desire to upgrade anything I just bought, but it was replacing a system that was over 20 yrs old so I felt like I was due. Sound quality?...I've heard speakers more than twice the price of mine...I'm content.

However, the more you learn about this hobby, you're likely to discover something that's better than what you currently have and that's kinda where I am...streaming music. My system can handle it, but not very well compared to the technology out now.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Fellow golfaholic here.

I've turned over my entire bag (including the bag it self) with one exception and it's soon to go as well, but prior to that I basically had the same clubs for at least 10-12 yrs. I'm not really a distance chaser...hit it straight chaser, yes...:)

I'm about 2 yrs into owning my new HT system build and so far I have no desire to upgrade anything I just bought, but it was replacing a system that was over 20 yrs old so I felt like I was due. Sound quality?...I've heard speakers more than twice the price of mine...I'm content.

However, the more you learn about this hobby, you're likely to discover something that's better than what you currently have and that's kinda where I am...streaming music. My system can handle it, but not very well compared to the technology out now.
I'm with you on the golf equipment but I just kept the older stuff in a second bag. As far as the stereo I'm still a 2 channel guy and I guess I'm ok with what I have unless I want to upgrade my phono cart. :)

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm with you on the golf equipment but I just kept the older stuff in a second bag. As far as the stereo I'm still a 2 channel guy and I guess I'm ok with what I have unless I want to upgrade my phono cart. :)
Yeah, I gifted a junior golfer my old driver, but still probably have a full iron set in the old bag.

As my screen name implies...I really do love 2 channel. My system was built primarily with 2 Ch music in mind, but my wife is the movie buff and I wanted to do surround sound right this time.

That said...since the build was completed and I've dappled into SACD and multi-channel SACDs. If you ever venture into multi-channel music...it's far better than I ever thought it might be.

M

Merkules2001

Audioholic
Yeah, I gifted a junior golfer my old driver, but still probably have a full iron set in the old bag.

As my screen name implies...I really do love 2 channel. My system was built primarily with 2 Ch music in mind, but my wife is the movie buff and I wanted to do surround sound right this time.

That said...since the build was completed and I've dappled into SACD and multi-channel SACDs. If you ever venture into multi-channel music...it's far better than I ever thought it might be.
I will look into the multichannel systems.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis