Not a lot of Elac or Klipsch subwoofer reviews?

SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Junior Audioholic
So I have a 5-channel Elac Uni-fi system in the family room now, but no subwoofer, yet. I'd been thinking about their SUB3030 - but it seems like there are a LOT of options for $700, and I don't see a lot of sales on the Elac sub. Also, I can't seem to find any reviews of it, which is puzzling, as it's been out a couple years.

Are Elac subs terrible? Or just underpowered for their price? Some other problem?

I have a couple Hsu, in another room, that I like, and I have looked into SVS, etc. But the sub will be very visible in this case, so matching visually and/or looking good is also on my mind, along with cost. Using two would be tough space-wise in this case, and I need more "mid-bass" fill-in for the UF5's than I do "massive explosion" 12 hz 120db home theater levels.

I'd also started looking into some 12" Klipsch subs that are a lot cheaper on sale (R-120SW, R-12SW, R-112SW - which seem to be 3 different years of essentially the same thing.) But same sort of problem - not a lot of reviews for Klipsch subs, other than the bigger R-115SW.)

If people have views on the Elac or Klipsch subs, or where I should look to learn more, I'd love to hear them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Elac sub probably isn't horrible but it doesn't appear particularly remarkable at its price point otoh....and the full specs/measurements are missing in action from Elac (e.g. is the 25hz the f3 or what?). That you need a BT Android or iOS device to setup isn't thrilling either. It would likely match better aesthetically than most if not all, that is one thing a speaker company often makes a priority for their subs. Usually the only advantage for sticking with a speaker brand's sub. Klipsch's best subs (R-112SW, R-115SW and they are different from the others you mention afaik) if obtained at a good price aren't horrible, but I'd still not get one particularly. I did get a Klipsch RW12d a few years back (and still have it), it was okay for $300 but wouldn't do it again particularly.

For $700 the Hsu VTF-2 mk5 or SVS PB or PC 2000 would probably head up my list, altho these days I'm more about diy and could do really well for $700 for duals.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with HD. Klipsch and elac subs are just OK. For another hundred I’d also look at a PC2k. I’m a fan of the cylinder form factor. HSU would also be worth consideration, but again, if it’s gonna be out in the open, I’d prefer the cylinder.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with HD. Klipsch and elac subs are just OK. For another hundred I’d also look at a PC2k. I’m a fan of the cylinder form factor. HSU would also be worth consideration, but again, if it’s gonna be out in the open, I’d prefer the cylinder.
Hmmm I had glanced at a page on the SVS site for subs that showed the 2000 series all with just one price of 700 underneath....until you actually go to the product pages for the PB&PC models for 800. Dang.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then again unless it is a review done with measurements, not that interesting in the first place.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hmmm I had glanced at a page on the SVS site for subs that showed the 2000 series all with just one price of 700 underneath....until you actually go to the product pages for the PB&PC models for 800. Dang.
They do offer a discount for duals!!! Wouldn’t make em 700ea but it would lessen the blow. Lol.
Still, IMO, it’s a good subwoofer for 800 bucks.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
They do offer a discount for duals!!! Wouldn’t make em 700ea but it would lessen the blow. Lol.
Still, IMO, it’s a good subwoofer for 800 bucks.
Better then either of the two subs he was considering for $700 yeah . Do the sonotube subs have better bass distribution?
If he’s going to buy a sub wait til Black Friday haha .../ some offer huge discount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Biggest advantage of column sub is probably footprint/aesthetic. Distribution means what?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Biggest advantage of column sub is probably footprint/aesthetic. Distribution means what?
I’d guess he means wave propagation?
But yeah the small footprint is it’s biggest advantage.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis