Not a lot of Elac or Klipsch subwoofer reviews?

SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Audioholic Intern
So I have a 5-channel Elac Uni-fi system in the family room now, but no subwoofer, yet. I'd been thinking about their SUB3030 - but it seems like there are a LOT of options for $700, and I don't see a lot of sales on the Elac sub. Also, I can't seem to find any reviews of it, which is puzzling, as it's been out a couple years.

Are Elac subs terrible? Or just underpowered for their price? Some other problem?

I have a couple Hsu, in another room, that I like, and I have looked into SVS, etc. But the sub will be very visible in this case, so matching visually and/or looking good is also on my mind, along with cost. Using two would be tough space-wise in this case, and I need more "mid-bass" fill-in for the UF5's than I do "massive explosion" 12 hz 120db home theater levels.

I'd also started looking into some 12" Klipsch subs that are a lot cheaper on sale (R-120SW, R-12SW, R-112SW - which seem to be 3 different years of essentially the same thing.) But same sort of problem - not a lot of reviews for Klipsch subs, other than the bigger R-115SW.)

If people have views on the Elac or Klipsch subs, or where I should look to learn more, I'd love to hear them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Seriously, I have no life.
The Elac sub probably isn't horrible but it doesn't appear particularly remarkable at its price point otoh....and the full specs/measurements are missing in action from Elac (e.g. is the 25hz the f3 or what?). That you need a BT Android or iOS device to setup isn't thrilling either. It would likely match better aesthetically than most if not all, that is one thing a speaker company often makes a priority for their subs. Usually the only advantage for sticking with a speaker brand's sub. Klipsch's best subs (R-112SW, R-115SW and they are different from the others you mention afaik) if obtained at a good price aren't horrible, but I'd still not get one particularly. I did get a Klipsch RW12d a few years back (and still have it), it was okay for $300 but wouldn't do it again particularly.

For $700 the Hsu VTF-2 mk5 or SVS PB or PC 2000 would probably head up my list, altho these days I'm more about diy and could do really well for $700 for duals.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with HD. Klipsch and elac subs are just OK. For another hundred I’d also look at a PC2k. I’m a fan of the cylinder form factor. HSU would also be worth consideration, but again, if it’s gonna be out in the open, I’d prefer the cylinder.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

I agree with HD. Klipsch and elac subs are just OK. For another hundred I’d also look at a PC2k. I’m a fan of the cylinder form factor. HSU would also be worth consideration, but again, if it’s gonna be out in the open, I’d prefer the cylinder.
Hmmm I had glanced at a page on the SVS site for subs that showed the 2000 series all with just one price of 700 underneath....until you actually go to the product pages for the PB&PC models for 800. Dang.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Then again unless it is a review done with measurements, not that interesting in the first place.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Spartan
Hmmm I had glanced at a page on the SVS site for subs that showed the 2000 series all with just one price of 700 underneath....until you actually go to the product pages for the PB&PC models for 800. Dang.
They do offer a discount for duals!!! Wouldn’t make em 700ea but it would lessen the blow. Lol.
Still, IMO, it’s a good subwoofer for 800 bucks.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Chief
They do offer a discount for duals!!! Wouldn’t make em 700ea but it would lessen the blow. Lol.
Still, IMO, it’s a good subwoofer for 800 bucks.
Better then either of the two subs he was considering for $700 yeah . Do the sonotube subs have better bass distribution?
If he’s going to buy a sub wait til Black Friday haha .../ some offer huge discount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Biggest advantage of column sub is probably footprint/aesthetic. Distribution means what?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Spartan
Biggest advantage of column sub is probably footprint/aesthetic. Distribution means what?
I’d guess he means wave propagation?
But yeah the small footprint is it’s biggest advantage.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis