Noisy neighbours. Would like to return the consideration.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Thanks. That'll do it I think.

Any program you'd recommend? Would Adobe Audition work?
17hz -19hz for 260,000 seconds, that’s about three days. Turn off power saver and plug in your laptop it doesn’t shut off. Then use a splitter cable and use the headphone out to the RCA in on the subwoofer. Get a basic dB app on your smart phone and turn the volume on the subwoofer up until you hit about 85 dB. Lock the door and go camping.

I think Gene may put me on time out

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Like I noted in my earlier post, and its from experience, don't get involved in some "I can be louder thing, , you both lose.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I think all this advice along the lines of retaliation is just horrible. I would document (that is RECORD) the noise and keep pressure on the management company. Make a paper trail.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
For the record I’m not advocating for retaliation, I’m simply answering the obvious question.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Would you believe I've tried the rearranging of furniture and jumping rope. Bowling might be bit tricky.
I've done quite a bit else but the bastards won't relent.
Never come across that reddit before, could be helpful I think, thanks.
Re: Furniture moving - timing is critical - doing during their music play isn't going to be much help.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Ok, I can't resist. But Gene is advertising consultation services for $100/hour. He's a pretty big dude...

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
23 years ago I rented a house where the landlord was not fixing things in a timely manner. The first issue was plumbing in the kitchen. Then the furnace went out. So when they ignored that I read through my lease agreement, I researched tenant rights, I documented EVERYTHING, all issues, all communications, all in person contact when there was, and then armed with that I went to our local court and filed for a rent escrow.

Rent money was now going to the court in an escrow account. 3 months goes by and I call them up and let them know that keys will be in their drop box and that the property has been vacated.

Long story short we both show up at court. The magistrate throws out their counter-suite that I broke the lease (magistrate told them there could only be a lease where they kept to their terms and legal requirements). I also get my three months of escrow plus 3 months damages. The damages was to offset the cost of electric heat that I had to run and pay for. I don't think the magistrate liked these particular landlords all that much.

If this renter has certain entitlements then the key here is to research that, setup escrow with the courts, and make sure EVERYTHING is documented. If this renter lives in a 1 party consent state to phone recordings I would install something like CubeACR on my phone and make sure to save all pertinent calls. In a 1 party consent state YOU ARE NOT required to inform them you are recording. Only 1 party needs to consent and that would be you making the recording.

I did this with my ex-business partner to force him into compliance with certain terms of our business separation. Next time azzhole don't threaten to kill me... I have it all recorded.
One caveat: In some one party consent states it is legal for one party to record a call without consent of the other party, but it may violate a wiretap law if you play it back to a third party that was not on the call. The way some wiretap laws are worded the delayed playback falls within the wiretap language.

In states with these types of wiretap laws you may be able to play it back to the parties that were on the original call (e.g. to create an accurate transcript). The problem is that you may not be able to get it entered in court as evidence.

Basically, it may have limited evidentiary value in court. Look at the wiretap laws carefully.

Another less likely issue is if the landlord uses a maintenance or phone answering service located in another state that is a 2 party consent state. This could complicate the situation

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Man am I disappointed I missed this one up to now.

OP, do you have a driving range near you that may have some old, worn out golf balls to get rid of? What you can do is just get a huge bucket of them and when the neighbors are home, but quiet, start pouring random piles from as high as you can. Pick up. Repeat.

@TankTop5 advice will work if you get a sub that really gets the soundwaves through the floor.

Might give you an idea of where you need to aim frequency wise.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
As an ex-apartment dweller, I could tell you right away that you don't need to spend any money at all to pay in kind to your not very cooperative neighbors.
The key phrase is "directly underneath me" - I wonder did ever gotten an urge to rearrange the furniture at 3 am? Do you have a jumping rope? Do you fancy a midnight bowling competition in your apartment?
The possibilities to annoy neighbors BELOW are truly endless. Be creative.
If these ideas aren't inspiring enough, you should also ask folks here: https://www.reddit.com/r/UnethicalLifeProTips/
See, people don't realize how irritating they can be just by finding out something about their downstairs neighbors. What really would bother them? Loud music won't. They need to be uncomfortable. Better if the OP isn't suspect in anything, but make it seem "natural" or "random".

Make them think you're friends after earning their trust. Then exploint it.

How illegal are ex lax brownies? I'm guessing felony, but I personally wouldn't do that to just anyone.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
To the OP-

I rented an upper flat from some friends and then, they built a house and eventually moved. The couple who moved into the first floor were nice enough, but he moved out and she started going to the local bars and bringing people back for parties after 2AM. She wouldn't turn the stereo on and increase the volume setting, she would crank it and THEN turn it on- familiar with Sylvester the Cat? That was about how I reacted. I let it go for awhile, then I called the Police. The first time, some guy came up and knocked on my door and yelled about it being her house, too and I let him leave- no way was I going to open the door for some random guy who may be coked up and drunk.

I ended up being very sleep-deprived and that's not something you want. I left years ago but still wake up at 3AM on occasion and there's no apparent reason for it.

Let the Police handle it, make sure the owner of the building knows
and tell them the reason you called. They can't legally retaliate, either. If the noisemakers are doing something illegal and the building owner knows it but does nothing about it, it may put them at risk of losing the property- check into that, too.

Above all else, make sure they won't do anything violent about you calling about this.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Sitting here listening to an old Paul Simon album, I remembered the perfect song to play loudly for your neighbors: One Man’s Ceiling is Another Man’s Floor. If that song doesn’t send the right message, I don’t know what will.

J

jrieder

Audiophyte
Have you tried calling the police? They are well trained to handle situations like that.

Highfigh gave the best advice!

K

Kevi9590

Enthusiast
I personally love when a neighbor is a little noisy every once in a while. Makes me feel like Im free to crank volumes up when the need arises. I know that as soon as I complain to the neighbor about their noise, its a race to the bottom and i may as well pack up and move.
Every once in a while being different than every night at 3 am.

U

ukqq

Enthusiast
OP, do you have a driving range near you that may have some old, worn out golf balls to get rid of? What you can do is just get a huge bucket of them and when the neighbors are home, but quiet, start pouring random piles from as high as you can. Pick up. Repeat.
This might not work for me cause I got tiled floors. Might end up chipping and cracking them.

@TankTop5 advice will work if you get a sub that really gets the soundwaves through the floor.

Might give you an idea of where you need to aim frequency wise.
Thanks. Very handy.

U

ukqq

Enthusiast
I personally love when a neighbor is a little noisy every once in a while. Makes me feel like Im free to crank volumes up when the need arises. I know that as soon as I complain to the neighbor about their noise, its a race to the bottom and i may as well pack up and move.
Every once in a while being different than every night at 3 am.
Every once in a while is fine. Almost every night for over a year is something else.

U

ukqq

Enthusiast
Also sorry to the mods/owners for clogging your site with neighbour noise complaint stuff. I was really just after audio advice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis