Noise in Emotiva power amp

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just for S&G I just turned on multich stereo mode, set speakers to large and went around the room....yeah, that's full range I'm pretty sure (without whipping out the measurement gear).

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
I don't know.

My old NHT system had towers in the rear, and I got bass from them, from an older Denon receiver.

Within my current system using the Denon X4500, I deliberated on using 703s or 705s in the rear channels. I tested them both. It definitely seemed like the 705s produced more bass.

This was not just from multi-channel music (Multi-channel stereo), but also from some Bluray Atmos movie discs (ran in Atmos mode).

I have them all set to large/full-range though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
YOU YAMAHA BOY were using a Denon. o_O
I was a Denon fanboy for probably most of my life and singing Denon all day long.

Oh, you didn't know I owned the AVR-5308 and AVP-A1HDCI? Before that I was using 4 Denon Integrated amps for my MCH system.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Aside from having a different model, did you also have 4 LSiM towers and volume at -10?
I have the LSi series. I've ran them for hours at high volume levels without issue. Did I take out my SPL meter and check what decibel level - no

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just for S&G I just turned on multich stereo mode, set speakers to large and went around the room....yeah, that's full range I'm pretty sure (without whipping out the measurement gear).
But do your surround speakers have built-in Subwoofers so that you could hear loud subwoofer bass and see the big woofer moving?

The DefTech BP7001SC had 10-inch-1500W powered woofers. I would crank up the subwoofer volume and compared it to the FRONT towers. Sure, SUBJECTIVELY I could hear "BASS" and "FULL-RANGE" sound from the surrounds. But when I placed my hand on those powered woofers, they didn't even move like those FRONT woofers!

So if the Surround channels got FULL RANGE like the Front 2 channels, and I set the surround channels to FULL RANGE, whey didn't the woofers MOVE the way all of us have seen woofers move for bass?

The PROOF was in the LACK of the powered subwoofer movement in the surround speakers (BP7001SC).

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, it's hilarious how we started with Emotiva amps, then next thing you know we're talking about Polk speakers and Full Range Surround. :D

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
I literally just tested mine. I don't know what you are talking about on surrounds....

The 705 woofers hit hard in surround on Atmos tracks, and Multi-channel-stereo. You may have had something configured wrong.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But do your surround speakers have built-in Subwoofers so that you could hear loud subwoofer bass and see the big woofer moving?

The DefTech BP7001SC had 10-inch-1500W powered woofers. I would crank up the subwoofer volume and compared it to the FRONT towers. Sure, SUBJECTIVELY I could hear "BASS" and "FULL-RANGE" sound from the surrounds. But when I placed my hand on those powered woofers, they didn't even move like those FRONT woofers!

So if the Surround channels got FULL RANGE like the Front 2 channels, and I set the surround channels to FULL RANGE, whey didn't the woofers MOVE the way all of us have seen woofers move for bass?

The PROOF was in the LACK of the powered subwoofer movement in the surround speakers (BP7001SC).
My surrounds don't have subs (but then neither did yours). I don't watch drivers in any case, just not much to see generally. I just listened to the speakers and it was obvious that it was a full range signal. You been taking some of those prescripshun drugs or something?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I ran the Denon for 6 months and was familiar with how it worked... yes it always got warm.

I ran it in Eco: auto, all the time.

It definitely changed temperatures when I connected more speakers, and then ran even hotter when I added the tower speakers. It became so hot I was worried about it - it nearly burned my hand. That never used to happen driving 2 bookshelf speakers.

(Granted, that was with 4 Polk LSiM tower speakers + their huge center channel, listening @ -10 to -15db. The Denon was able to do it, but it became intensely hot. )

Not being an audio engineer, common sense would me that's not a good sign for the health or longevity of that receiver. In pre-amp mode, the Denon hardly even gets warm now.

As to the 2nd point: Yes, the sound quality did improve. It's hard to quantify exactly.

The Emotiva definitely added more bass impact and slam, that was the most noticeable thing right away.

The sound is more clear at higher volumes and was a little more "real" sounding at all volume levels. But even on normal volumes at the same volume as before, the sound seems more realistic. It is not a night/day difference in clarity, no... but I was very familiar with how the Denon sounded having listened to it exclusively for 6 months.

When I added the Emotiva in the same system, the sound became more clear and slightly more expansive, just from not using the Denon's amps.
An AVR or any amplifier will run hot for the same reason the burner on an electric range or cooktop becomes hot- electrical current. More channels used or lower impedance speakers create a demand for more current and it's easy enough to calculate if you know the output voltage and the impedance (averaged).

The Emotiva amp doesn't have an Eco mode- turn that off and the Denon will sound better, too. The use/disuse of ECO mode has been discussed at great length- don't use it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis