Noise in Emotiva power amp

G

GBelzile

Audiophyte
Hi, I recently bought a second hand Emotiva A5175 power amplifier. I have LRC and zone 2 speakers plugged in it. It sounds great but it creates a buzz in the speakers. When no rca input is plugged in, the buzz is very loud. When there is an input plugged in, it is way better but there is still an audible buzz when volume is low or muted. If I plug the same speaker wire directly into the receiver (onkyo rz730) , speakers are 100% silent on mute. Do I have a problem with the amp? Is there a way to fix this? It's my first power amp so I'm not sure what to expect.
Thanks for helping.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, I recently bought a second hand Emotiva A5175 power amplifier. I have LRC and zone 2 speakers plugged in it. It sounds great but it creates a buzz in the speakers. When no rca input is plugged in, the buzz is very loud. When there is an input plugged in, it is way better but there is still an audible buzz when volume is low or muted. If I plug the same speaker wire directly into the receiver (onkyo rz730) , speakers are 100% silent on mute. Do I have a problem with the amp? Is there a way to fix this? It's my first power amp so I'm not sure what to expect.
Thanks for helping.
If it hums with only the speakers connected it has a serious problem.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The kind of problem that can be fixed by any technician or I should just get rid of it?
Well first off, electronic repair technicians are very hard to come by. The bigger issue is that it is impossible to judge how complex the repair will be. The really big issue is that Emotiva, do not publish circuits or service manual for their products. It is generally impossible to service anything without that information. Emotiva say only they should service their products.

If you are considering service, then you will have to contact Emotiva. Cost may be high.

You really only have two options for getting rid of it. One is recycling, the other is selling it for parts or repair. It will be worth very little in current condition.

You can not sell the unit without disclosing this serious issue. Lastly, using malfunctioning electronics can be dangerous and is not recommended. This is particularly true in this case, as I suspect the fault is most likely to be in the power supply. Selling the unit on, without disclosure as well as being unethical, exposes you to legal trouble.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
You said you just recently purchased the amp Well I'd be wanting to know from the guy who sold it to me if there was a problem with it when he sold it to me. And let him lie to me, let me think he's lying to me.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You said you just recently purchased the amp Well I'd be wanting to know from the guy who sold it to me if there was a problem with it when he sold it to me. And let him lie to me, let me think he's lying to me.
Agreed, you certainly have a dispute with the seller, unless it was sold as is, as, was. If you bought it on eBay you have some protection there, and can raise it with the seller and eBay. It certainly is against eBay rules to sell a unit with a defect without disclosure. I generally will not purchase used electronic gear on eBay unless I know I can service it. One seller did sell me a unit with a serious issue once. I fixed it, and notified eBay. They paid me regular service charges from the sellers account.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you are considering service, then you will have to contact Emotiva.
Emotiva does not service out of warranty products. I doubt if they will service second-hand products.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Emotiva does not service out of warranty products. I doubt if they will service second-hand products.
If that is true, then they are breaking the law. Law requires support and service for a minimum of seven years after purchase of a new product.

From what you say, I think unless the OP can get redress form the seller, this will be a total loss for him. If this was a Craigslist purchase for instance I think he is out of luck. Recycling may prove to be his best option depending on the circumstances of the purchase.

I hear Emotiva are a really lousy outfit, and to be vigorously avoided.

G

GBelzile

Audiophyte
I guess I will live with it, it's not that bad and I don't hear it as soon as I put some volume.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I guess I will live with it, it's not that bad and I don't hear it as soon as I put some volume.
You haven't stated how you got it did you knock on the guy's door was it from eBay Craigslist Facebook Marketplace did you know the guy? did you not know the guy? Was it from a thrift store?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If that is true, then they are breaking the law. Law requires support and service for a minimum of seven years after purchase of a new product.

From what you say, I think unless the OP can get redress form the seller, this will be a total loss for him. If this was a Craigslist purchase for instance I think he is out of luck. Recycling may prove to be his best option depending on the circumstances of the purchase.

I hear Emotiva are a really lousy outfit, and to be vigorously avoided.
You didn't hear about how Emotiva refused to service Gene's Emotiva Amp after his warranty period expired? That's why you won't see Gene buying anymore Emotiva amps. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I strongly advise against that course of action. If all speakers are humming, then this fault is almost certainly in the power supply. The fact that connecting the amp to ancillary equipment, strongly suggests there is stray voltage/current leaking from a component in the power supply. This is potentially dangerous, personally and to other connected equipment. It really is a cast iron rule that you never keep malfunctioning equipment in service.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is this a bit of amp hiss or a ground loop hum perhaps? Do you need to have your ears up to the speakers to hear it or is it audible at your normal listening position? I've heard some Emotiva amps do have a bit of hiss. If it's a grounded plug on the amp have you tried lifting the ground?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is this a bit of amp hiss or a ground loop hum perhaps? Do you need to have your ears up to the speakers to hear it or is it audible at your normal listening position? I've heard some Emotiva amps do have a bit of hiss. If it's a grounded plug on the amp have you tried lifting the ground?
That's what I was getting at too. A possible ground loop. It's usually described as a hum but I could see someone calling it a buzz.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That's what I was getting at too. A possible ground loop. It's usually described as a hum but I could see someone calling it a buzz.
It is not a round loop, a it is loudest with just the speakers connected and nothing connected to the RCA jacks. Connecting to the RCA jacks, reduces the noise, where as if it were a ground loop that would cause the noise to appear. There is a component in the power supply leaking to ground and connecting other components to the amp is partially bleeding it off. This is not a satisfactory or stable state of affairs.

Emotiva has slipped to the status of junk purveyor. Avoid.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The moral of the story:
Run, don't walk, away from Emotiva!

And to think, I thought the sound was just all the Emo Fanboys Ra-Ra-Ra-ing their favorite "US" brand. :rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis