No stimulus for non workers

jinjuku

jinjuku

Not the point though.. He isn't the issue, the assumption was .. Nothing personal..Edit: i agree with your assessment, but, it's a point that many poor folks can't afford internet..
I'm stating the conditions under which I can help someone. If you have the time and inclination to join hobbyist board dealing with audio then I'm going to go with some assumptions that you aren't 100% completely destitute.

I do agree if you've been out of work for 5 years and you go to the library to join a forum like this to trumpet your victimhood, yes you have some issues you need to work through.

My offer is an honest one. I'll even pay for the test (pass that is) and my job is to make sure the first time is a pass.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You don't need a job, you need a skill set. You have a computer, you have an internet connection, you have time. I'll set you up for getting your Cisco CCNA in networking. I'll give you 4 hours of my time a week. I expect/require you to take 16 weeks and self study. I'll pay for your pass of the certification. You can then apply for NOC (network operation center roles) or guys swinging cabling in closets.

That's 64 hours of my time for free (I bill out at $239 an hour to put this in context).

You need a Windows PC and Cisco's Packet Tracer Application.
Opportunity is knocking, but will he take it?

Hope he takes you up on this. Not many people get an offer like this. Not many would make an offer like this.

I'll add you to my "people that deserve a beer after covid" list.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
People like Kingbood deserve no stimulus check. They deserve a swift boot. A perfect example of a Trumpie.
And who are all of those unemployable college grads who thought they could get a job in a field that has no demand? Look to the Left, if you want to see a lot of them. I know someone who worked at a bar while she was in college and one night, she was seriously pissed off. I asked why and she launched into a diatribe about how college is a scam and a degree doesn't guarantee a job, so I asked what she was majoring in. Her answer- Drawing and Painting. I asked her about her expectations of the kinds of jobs she could expect or find and she didn't know. THAT'S a big part of the problem.

A problem can't be solved unless it has been identified. Blaming others or the government isn't the same as identifying the problem and a lot of people who lost their jobs created some kind of business or a position they could use as a way to find a job. Also, too many people are completely unwilling to step back and look at themselves, in order to see their positive and negative qualities, skills and potential. People need to leave the negativity behind and move forward.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yikes, told myself not to sniff around here anymore. Same ol' same ol'. I'll check back in when he is 39. If his mother is still living, he'll still be here bitching about his lot in life. If she's dead by then I imagine he'll be on a sidewalk somewhere trying to find an open network. Some folks think they are above menial labor and think being a parasite is somehow a better way to go. Not sure how many employers are looking for a semi capable Debbie Downer hooked on junk food and hooch these days though. He needs a heart to heart with his mother and a mental health expert. He can turn it around with some real effort but that's up to him. If he spends his days crying over the past he will not have no real future. Blah Blah Blah... I need to get some of my own s#%t done around here today. Live long and prosper you all!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
That's just another excuse you use to justify your crippled state of mind.

I just tendered my resignation for the job I've been working the last 16 months. For better or worse, I will not have a job in two weeks.

I'm not scared. I know I can create my future. And I will.

You can, too.

Will you?
Really, you're either courageous or foolish. I wish I can quit my job like that.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
And who are all of those unemployable college grads who thought they could get a job in a field that has no demand? Look to the Left, if you want to see a lot of them. I know someone who worked at a bar while she was in college and one night, she was seriously pissed off. I asked why and she launched into a diatribe about how college is a scam and a degree doesn't guarantee a job, so I asked what she was majoring in. Her answer- Drawing and Painting. I asked her about her expectations of the kinds of jobs she could expect or find and she didn't know. THAT'S a big part of the problem.

A problem can't be solved unless it has been identified. Blaming others or the government isn't the same as identifying the problem and a lot of people who lost their jobs created some kind of business or a position they could use as a way to find a job. Also, too many people are completely unwilling to step back and look at themselves, in order to see their positive and negative qualities, skills and potential. People need to leave the negativity behind and move forward.
Hey, don't knock bartenders - one made it to the House of Reps! I agree a college degree DOES NOT guarantee a job. Unfortunately, many simply go for the easiest degree with no career counseling or guidance from parents. I used to have a neighbor, husband High School Physics Teacher, wife kindergarten teacher. Their son was taking some weird college courses and he was not sure what he will do after collge. Why those courses? His parents suggested to take the easy ones! I was shocked! His maternal grandpa was a Ph.D. in Microbiology and was a R&D VP in a major company.

I have met too many high/middle schoolers with no ambition or goal in life. Is that the fault of our school system or parents? I don't know.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have met too many high/middle schoolers with no ambition or goal in life. Is that the fault of our school system or parents? I don't know.
Why would a middle schooler have a goal in life? Or a high schooler for that matter? I don't know very many people that know what they want at 18 much less anyone younger. Do you remember how stupid teenagers are?

The worst thing about high school is that most of what is taught is useless. College isn't a lot better, but it's a bit better. We basically have these kids go to school for 12 years minimum and add another 4 to that for college and once they're done we say "welcome to the real world where everything you're learned up to this point has taught you nothing at all about how to be an adult. Good luck". It's stupid. How many people outside of accounting students are taught anything about how to do their taxes properly? Not to mention how expensive college is. That's an entire other discussion.

I thought I wanted to be an engineer so I went to school for Electrical Engineering. I did not want to be an engineer. I am not an engineer and my schooling did nothing for me in my career. Even if I wanted to be an engineer, the talk of always being worried about getting laid off changed my mind real quick.

You asked if it's a failing of the parents or the system. It's both. Too many parents expect schools to teach their kids EVERYTHING including discipline. It's not every parent, but enough that it's noticeable. Schools (at least in TX) are VERY strict with teachers on what they can and can't teach so kids will get high test scores. Kids actually learning anything isn't the goal.

Education in this country needs a MASSIVE overhaul.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Fcuking #ell, I can't believe how much energy is still being thrown at this.

Noob is being a serious twit. That's the nice version. When I had the choice to be an entitled brat or stand up and fight for myself, I learned fast that the latter was the only way. If Noob can't/won't... well, that's his problem. He's the only one that has to live with himself and his choices for the rest of his life.

We can all hit ignore.

I'd rather him state, earnestly, that he gets it and is gonna do it for himself. Thus far, every post has continued whining about how unfair life is to him. News Flash: Life isn't fair! And pain is the only way you know you're still alive. (Junk mail doesn't count, 'cos that keeps coming for years after you die. :p )

Oh well... I said I was out, and here I am again. Perhaps this time I'll stay away from his trainwreck BS. SMDH

highfigh

highfigh

Hey, don't knock bartenders - one made it to the House of Reps! I agree a college degree DOES NOT guarantee a job. Unfortunately, many simply go for the easiest degree with no career counseling or guidance from parents. I used to have a neighbor, husband High School Physics Teacher, wife kindergarten teacher. Their son was taking some weird college courses and he was not sure what he will do after collge. Why those courses? His parents suggested to take the easy ones! I was shocked! His maternal grandpa was a Ph.D. in Microbiology and was a R&D VP in a major company.

You're right- a degree doesn't guarantee a job, especially if the person is unwilling to consider doing something outside of the degree. One of the guys I knew in college had a 3.96 GPA after 4 years in an architectural engineering program and upon graduation, he got a job designing crane booms for Harnischpheger (P&H, now part of Komatsu), making over double the salary of an entry level architect. Related by curriculum and possibly by application, but someone studying architecture wouldn't normally look at this job as a likely possibility. Similarly, someone with a degree in applied Mathematics has an almost endless range of job possibilities- they just need to find something they want to do. OTOH, someone in a program where there's no demand is screwed.

AOC worked for Ted Kennedy's campaign and also for Bernie Sanders. Draw your own conclusions.

I went to see a friend at his upholstery shop and not long after I got there, my friends' son's high school Chemistry teacher arrived to pick up something he had repaired. The teacher had recently retired, mainly because of the changes at the school and among the changes was the order that they were no longer going to conduct the usual type of tests- they had to allow the students to express the answer in any way they saw fit. He just rolled his eyes when I mentioned Common Core Math and when I asked how they would expect to do anything in a college Math, Chemistry or Physics class (or in any kind of applied science field like engineering) and he paused before saying "You sound like you studied some kind of engineering".

A degree in basket weaving or some obscure area of study isn't going to result in a good job when there's no industry or demand for it in this country. When people expect something that's unrealistic, they need to know they'll be disappointed.

To get to your last paragraph- I think the answer is yes, both are at fault. My guidance councilor was useless and I have heard the same from many others. Some parents don't have life experiences that allow them to know what's out there, many do. The ones who don't need to ask for help in guiding their kids toward a future they can't conceive and may not fully expect or understand. Some people are too busy making a buck so they can support the family and it's hard to see where to go at the end of a long day/week/month/year/decade. Some don't bother or care.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Well it's been a few days and as I silently thought to myself when I made the offer, that still stands BTW, well see if kingnoob flees his own thread.

He sounds just like my brother and just like I did with here I made the same offer to help him out of his bad choices and the result has been the same. If you aren't willing to make the change I certainly don't want to hear about it.

People, unfortunately, can be damaged goods.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
You're right- a degree doesn't guarantee a job, especially if the person is unwilling to consider doing something outside of the degree. One of the guys I knew in college had a 3.96 GPA after 4 years in an architectural engineering program and upon graduation, he got a job designing crane booms for Harnischpheger (P&H, now part of Komatsu), making over double the salary of an entry level architect. Related by curriculum and possibly by application, but someone studying architecture wouldn't normally look at this job as a likely possibility. Similarly, someone with a degree in applied Mathematics has an almost endless range of job possibilities- they just need to find something they want to do. OTOH, someone in a program where there's no demand is screwed.

AOC worked for Ted Kennedy's campaign and also for Bernie Sanders. Draw your own conclusions.

I went to see a friend at his upholstery shop and not long after I got there, my friends' son's high school Chemistry teacher arrived to pick up something he had repaired. The teacher had recently retired, mainly because of the changes at the school and among the changes was the order that they were no longer going to conduct the usual type of tests- they had to allow the students to express the answer in any way they saw fit. He just rolled his eyes when I mentioned Common Core Math and when I asked how they would expect to do anything in a college Math, Chemistry or Physics class (or in any kind of applied science field like engineering) and he paused before saying "You sound like you studied some kind of engineering".

A degree in basket weaving or some obscure area of study isn't going to result in a good job when there's no industry or demand for it in this country. When people expect something that's unrealistic, they need to know they'll be disappointed.

To get to your last paragraph- I think the answer is yes, both are at fault. My guidance councilor was useless and I have heard the same from many others. Some parents don't have life experiences that allow them to know what's out there, many do. The ones who don't need to ask for help in guiding their kids toward a future they can't conceive and may not fully expect or understand. Some people are too busy making a buck so they can support the family and it's hard to see where to go at the end of a long day/week/month/year/decade. Some don't bother or care.
Underwater basket weaving that's a grad level course! ;)

Some of the best schools in nearly every county are those where the parents take interest in the school and make sure their kids actually do the homework. I lost count how many times I heard parents say they want the schools open so they can go to work! Not that the kids are missing out on education. Schools are NOT day care centers. :mad:

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General

Some of the best schools in nearly every county are those where the parents take interest in the school and make sure their kids actually do the homework. I lost count how many times I heard parents say they want the schools open so they can go to work! Not that the kids are missing out on education. Schools are NOT day care centers. :mad:
Spoken like a true educator!

highfigh

highfigh

They're not day care, the schools can't discipline the students and sometimes, it's more of a 'The inmates are running the asylum' case. The problem is that the parents had to figure out what the kids know, what they were working on when they were sent home, what pace they're on, the material being used and how to present it. Parents often don't know the material, don't know how to teach for more than a few minutes without becoming frustrated and returning to their parent role and some of the kids probably have the attention span of a thumbtack.

Parents didn't learn Common Core math- how are they supposed to teach it? How should they teach Physics, Chemistry and other science classes when they may not know it? Have you not seen the way people communicate online? You want them teaching English and Grammar?

I sincerely hope the US education system has a major reset, soon. We're getting our ass kicked by the rest of the world and kids are saying "I don't get it....". "I can't...." and "Why do I have to learn this if I won't use it after I graduate?".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis