No sound from my Marantz receiver

T

TAC

Enthusiast
I had my Marantz receiver (NR 1506) in storage for over two years. I have connected two brand-new speakers to it today, but no sound came up. I connected it to my TV and no sound either, I switched the speakers connections to center snd surround and nothing. My receiver has hardly been used. I need advice. Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I had my Marantz receiver (NR 1506) in storage for over two years. I have connected two brand-new speakers to it today, but no sound came up. I connected it to my TV and no sound either, I switched the speakers connections to center snd surround and nothing. My receiver has hardly been used. I need advice. Thanks
So that is a six year old receiver. If it has been in storage for that length of time, I suspect it has lost the set up settings.

So go though the speaker set up and on manual set up, make sure you can hear the test tones from all connected speakers once you have assigned them. If you do not hear any sound at this stage, then do a hard reset, and give at least three tries before throwing in the towel. If you hear no test tones, then the outlook for that receiver is grim.

If you hear the test tones, then proceed to the input assign menu, and properly assign all the inputs you want to use.

Do all that and report back.

T

TAC

Enthusiast
So that is a six year old receiver. If it has been in storage for that length of time, I suspect it has lost the set up settings.

So go though the speaker set up and on manual set up, make sure you can hear the test tones from all connected speakers once you have assigned them. If you do not hear any sound at this stage, then do a hard reset, and give at least three tries before throwing in the towel. If you hear no test tones, then the outlook for that receiver is grim.

If you hear the test tones, then proceed to the input assign menu, and properly assign all the inputs you want to use.

Thank's a lot. I will try to set it up according to your advice. I'm still used to the old receivers that were very simple and straightforward. I'll report back.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I suspect it has lost the set up settings.
I don't think any AVR requires setup just for producing sound.

The sound might not be optimal if the AVR is not set up correctly. But there should still be sound even if it is not set up.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't think any AVR requires setup just for producing sound.

The sound might not be optimal if the AVR is not set up correctly. But there should still be sound even if it is not set up.
Well, that is not true of my Marantz equipment at all. You have to tell the unit what speakers are connected, and you have to assign the inputs, or you get zero sound.

T

TAC

Enthusiast
Thank you for your reply. Will try the set up anyway to see what happens. Perhaps you're right.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, that is not true of my Marantz equipment at all. You have to tell the unit what speakers are connected, and you have to assign the inputs, or you get zero sound.
So the default factory setting on your Marantz is set to ZERO speakers connected at all?

T

TAC

Enthusiast
Thanks to all those interested in solving my problem. I appreciate all the inputs because I'm being educated about the new equipment. My first amplifier in the 1950''s was a Harman-Kardon that never failed.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
So the default factory setting on your Marantz is set to ZERO speakers connected at all?
It's some time since I've hard reset my Denon AVR, but I guess Marantz works the same, but I recall that I had to go through all settings again.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you for your reply. Will try the set up anyway to see what happens. Perhaps you're right.
Not sure if you know how to reset your receiver, but in post #2 below is how you do it:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Somewhat odd no sound to start but could depend on previous settings somewhat, so a restart and going thru setup sounds like a good first step. Maybe even input assignment....

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Depending on storage and where, maybe some bugs/spiders got into it. When turned on, something shorted out???
Will see when he reports back. :cool: I wonder what source he had plugged into it? Or just trying FM?

T

TAC

Enthusiast
Not sure if you know how to reset your receiver, but in post #2 below is how you do it:

Depending on storage and where, maybe some bugs/spiders got into it. When turned on, something shorted out???
Will see when he reports back. :cool: I wonder what source he had plugged into it? Or just trying FM?
Absolutely no bugs. It was not stored in a public place or barn. The receiver was simply not used for a few years, because I had another one. One with old fashion tubes. It was great, but overheated all the time.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Absolutely no bugs. It was not stored in a public place or barn. The receiver was simply not used for a few years, because I had another one. One with old fashion tubes. It was great, but overheated all the time.
Have you tried resetting the AVR?

T

TAC

Enthusiast

OK, the verdict is in: The old Marantz receiver had never been set up before. After the set up, it's working fine. I want to thank you and all the other members who helped me.

T

TAC

Enthusiast
My old Marantz receiver is working fine after the set up. Actually it was the first set up because it had never been used before.

T

TAC

Enthusiast
Somewhat odd no sound to start but could depend on previous settings somewhat, so a restart and going thru setup sounds like a good first step. Maybe even input assignment....
It's working now after the set up. Thanks

T

TAC

Enthusiast
After the set up, it's working fine, t
It's some time since I've hard reset my Denon AVR, but I guess Marantz works the same, but I recall that I had to go through all settings again.
After the set up. The receiver is working fine.
Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis