NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I don't think I had a thread before, so I figured I'd start one now. Here's the system as it stands now:

Gear is as of now:

TV: Samsung UN55H7150
AVR: Denon AVR-X4000
Media devices: Nvidia Shield TV pro (2017) and a Sony Blu-Ray player
Speakers: Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR 950 mains and VR 10 center; NHT Superzero 2.1 surrounds
Subwoofer: Ultimax 18" powered by a Crown XLS1502
Signal Processing: MiniDSP for the sub

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
MLP is about 9 feet from the TV, separation between left and right channels is about 12 feet.

I'm planning to move around the bookcases and get two smaller ones to replace the large one on the right. This will allow me to reposition the left and right channels so they are about 8 feet apart instead of 12.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nice, my friend!

That Song3 Center would look quite stunning on its own stand! ;) I think you could pull it off with the bookshelf shuffle and that monoprice stand to one side. :)
(Also, linked below, VTI does shelves, too. Again, just for reference.)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Nice, my friend!

That Song3 Center would look quite stunning on its own stand! ;) I think you could pull it off with the bookshelf shuffle and that monoprice stand to one side. :)
(Also, linked below, VTI does shelves, too. Again, just for reference.)
The problem I see with a center channel stand is two fold. They are not wide enough to make me feel comfortable putting the Song 3 center (at 24.5 incehs wide) on one. Especially because of the cats. I also don't think that everything else would fit as nicely if I were to do it that way.

Thanks for that stands and mounts website though, that looks fantastic!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I don't remember who I ordered from, but these guys had a lot of good stuff to check out too, very similar to Stands and Mounts, of course.

Fortunately my cat's have not been very engaged with my rig! :) Except for Iggy, who likes to toast himself on top of the Old Onkyo in the main room. I've tried to dissuade him, but just can't keep up with his persistence! :rolleyes:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe a bed on the sub? Cats love to have a spot in the room to stretch out and clown around.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I don't remember who I ordered from, but these guys had a lot of good stuff to check out too, very similar to Stands and Mounts, of course.

Fortunately my cat's have not been very engaged with my rig! :) Except for Iggy, who likes to toast himself on top of the Old Onkyo in the main room. I've tried to dissuade him, but just can't keep up with his persistence! :rolleyes:
Thanks so much for all the links. I'll definitely be able to find something that works and appeals to my sense of style on them! Our cats love rubbing on the current center channel, they've never sat or jumped on it, but it's smaller than my next one and has a whole shelf around it that they sit on. lol

Maybe a bed on the sub? Cats love to have a spot in the room to stretch out and clown around.
There's cat furniture everywhere, but that doesn't prevent them from walking on every surface they can find to walk on!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The problem I see with a center channel stand is two fold. They are not wide enough to make me feel comfortable putting the Song 3 center (at 24.5 incehs wide) on one. Especially because of the cats. I also don't think that everything else would fit as nicely if I were to do it that way.
I see two possible solutions for a 24½" wide center speaker.

Look closely at the photo of the Song3 Center. There are two stands under it :).
1580744663691.png

The other solution is to buy one of those wider center speaker stands. With a 12" wide stand, there would be 6¼" overhang on either side. With an 18" wide stand, there would be 3¼" overhang.

If you want, get a ½" thick piece of plywood or MDF, cut it to fit the footprint of the speaker cabinet, paint it black, and mount it on top of the speaker stand. In that Sanus 18" wide stand, I see 6 screws that attach the steel top plate to the two columns. Find longer screws with the same threads and use them to attach the plywood on top of the steel plate.
1580745166420.png

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I see two possible solutions for a 24½" wide center speaker.

Look closely at the photo of the Song3 Center. There are two stands under it :).
View attachment 33817

The other solution is to buy one of those wider center speaker stands. With a 12" wide stand, there would be 6¼" overhang on either side. With an 18" wide stand, there would be 3¼" overhang.

If you want, get a ½" thick piece of plywood or MDF, cut it to fit the footprint of the speaker cabinet, paint it black, and mount it on top of the speaker stand. In that Sanus 18" wide stand, I see 6 screws that attach the steel top plate to the two columns. Find longer screws with the same threads and use them to attach the plywood on top of the steel plate.
View attachment 33818
I saw that stand, but the top plate is 14" x 8", the 18" in the title is referring to it's height; and it lists it's weight capacity as 35 lbs. :-/

I do like these units I found through the links Ryanosaur provided:

https://www.standsonline.com/free-shipping/SANUS-BFAV344-Audio-Video-Stand-fits-AV-components-and-TVs-up-to-56-in-Black-lacquered-finish__SANUS-BFAV344.aspx

https://www.standsonline.com/free-shipping/Sanus-BFV145-Audio-Video-Stand-and-fits-TVs-up-to-52__SANUS-BFV145.aspx

https://www.standsandmounts.com/LivingEssentialsOllyBlackGlass60inTVStandOakTFWVO0355.aspx

https://www.standsandmounts.com/WalkerEdisonAngeloHomeCityGroveSeries-W60CGS1CL.aspx

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I saw that stand, but the top plate is 14" x 8", the 18" in the title is referring to it's height; and it lists it's weight capacity as 35 lbs. :-/

I do like these units I found through the links Ryanosaur provided…
You've clearly thought about this much more than I have. I'll watch to see what you end up choosing.

If it were me, I'd worry less about overloading stands supported by a steel plate mounted on steel tubes, than I would worry about the weight capacity of a wide glass shelf.

Are the glass shelves in any of those units adjustable enough to accommodate the 12½" height of the Song3 Center?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You've clearly thought about this much more than I have. I'll watch to see what you end up choosing.

If it were me, I'd worry less about overloading stands supported by a steel plate mounted on steel tubes, than I would worry about the weight capacity of a wide glass shelf.

Are the glass shelves in any of those units adjustable enough to accommodate the 12½" height of the Song3 Center?
I tend towards overthinking things... ;)

I'd be putting it on the top shelf and wall mounting the TV, so no issue there!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Are you going to keep those NHT Superzero speakers?

I have a pair of Superzeros I bought 20 years ago for use as rear channels in my 5.1 system. They were good with my old JBL L100s, worked quite well with my original SongTowers, and I still use them today with my Veracity STs. Their overall neutral balance goes well with Jim Salk & Dennis Murphy's sense of neutral balance. They're small and easy to mount on walls.
I'm replying to your question from another thread here Swerd. I am planning on keep the Superzeros, at least for now. In our current space they are mounted from the ceiling and pointed down at the listening position. It's good to know that you thought they worked well with your Salks!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
But the burning question remains...

;)
LOL. I know exactly the question. And the answer is: it will be silver-gray dyed maple with black burst edges. Not sure yet if curly, birdseye, or quilted maple. I do really love the quilted veneers I've seen, but not sure I want to spend the extra $$$ on it over the curly.

Jim sent me a $1 invoice today so I could see which merchant category the CC puts him in. That way I can change to it and get my 3% cash back for the quarter.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don’t envy the 6 mo wait, but those look like an excellent choice. :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
LOL. I know exactly the question. And the answer is: it will be silver-gray dyed maple with black burst edges. Not sure yet if curly, birdseye, or quilted maple. I do really love the quilted veneers I've seen, but not sure I want to spend the extra $$$ on it over the curly.

Jim sent me a $1 invoice today so I could see which merchant category the CC puts him in. That way I can change to it and get my 3% cash back for the quarter.
I'm wavering now between curly maple in silver-gray with black burst edges and the zebrawood in light black with black burst edges. I REALLY like the quilted maples in silver gray, but that's another $800, which I'd rather not spend on the finish. However, I also keep coming back to the zebrawood and it's only an additional $200 over curly maple. Ugh, toughest choice yet...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm wavering now between curly maple in silver-gray with black burst edges and the zebrawood in light black with black burst edges. I REALLY like the quilted maples in silver gray, but that's another $800, which I'd rather not spend on the finish. However, I also keep coming back to the zebrawood and it's only an additional $200 over curly maple. Ugh, toughest choice yet...
Somehow I missed it when you announced your order. Congrats!!! I saw it earlier today on Audiocircle.

Do you have a shipping cost estimate? When I ordered ropey cherry veneer for my Veracity STs in 2016, it added to the total cost, but it was less than the shipping. For me, putting it into that context made the decision easy. I've never been sorry with that choice.

Shipping from Pontiac, MI to Chicago, IL will probably be less than my shipping was to Maryland. And your veneer prices seem to be more than mine was. So maybe… or maybe not?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis