Nice Pair of Monitors, DAC for Music Listening at Work

OscarJr

OscarJr

Junior Audioholic
I would say do the Room EQ. But compare them and use whichever sounds the best. Not everyone likes a "FLAT" in-room response.
Very true, it may not be for all. I, for one, find that for my music, I prefer flat from about 110Hz+ and a 2-4 dB boost as a low-shelf with a medium slope.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Longer I work as Sr engineer, the trueer goes saying: K.I.S.S.
My humble suggestion is just get a Vanatoo Transparent one or zero , depends on budget and size of speakers you're looking for. Both reviewed indeph on noaudiophile.com
I tend to agree with you on K.I.S.S. and the Vanatoo Transparent One powered speakers with built-in DAC sounds really intriguing for an office. I'm not sure how much space that the OP has for speakers and other gear but the Vanatoo look like they wouldn't eat up too much desk space.

I recently had a similar challenge that I only mention because I like using at least a small sub with bookshelf speakers. In my case the Onkyo TX-SR707 receiver driving my amazing little EMP E41-B desktop speakers finally died and I decided to use this as an opportunity to scale back the amount of "stuff" around my home office/gaming system. The EMPs are put away for now and replaced by powered studio monitors. I still wanted to use my Emotiva Ultra 12 subwoofer for deep bass and that left me with a problem. An AVR provides a good DAC and a good speaker to sub crossover - at the cost of buying an AVR and sacrificing shelf space. I drooled long and hard over Mayflower's ARC gaming/music DAC (stereo RCA outs plus headphone-out and mic-in jacks) before rejecting it for a lack of a subwoofer-output/crossover. For now I'm using a low budget solution - powered studio monitors and a powered subwoofer connected by a low budget ($80) Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 external DAC with a subwoofer-out with a crossover (Windows only). I'm sure that there is a more elegant solution for the OP and a better sounding 2.1/5.1 DAC out there but I couldn't seem to find one short of buying another receiver.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I tend to agree with you on K.I.S.S. and the Vanatoo Transparent One powered speakers with built-in DAC sounds really intriguing for an office. I'm not sure how much space that the OP has for speakers and other gear but the Vanatoo look like they wouldn't eat up too much desk space.

I recently had a similar challenge that I only mention because I like using at least a small sub with bookshelf speakers. In my case the Onkyo TX-SR707 receiver driving my amazing little EMP E41-B desktop speakers finally died and I decided to use this as an opportunity to scale back the amount of "stuff" around my home office/gaming system. The EMPs are put away for now and replaced by powered studio monitors. I still wanted to use my Emotiva Ultra 12 subwoofer for deep bass and that left me with a problem. An AVR provides a good DAC and a good speaker to sub crossover - at the cost of buying an AVR and sacrificing shelf space. I drooled long and hard over Mayflower's ARC gaming/music DAC (stereo RCA outs plus headphone-out and mic-in jacks) before rejecting it for a lack of a subwoofer-output/crossover. For now I'm using a low budget solution - powered studio monitors and a powered subwoofer connected by a low budget ($80) Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 external DAC with a subwoofer-out with a crossover (Windows only). I'm sure that there is a more elegant solution for the OP and a better sounding 2.1/5.1 DAC out there but I couldn't seem to find one short of buying another receiver.
Vanatoo have dac and sub out. Just saying...

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
It's hard for me to imagine an office setting where most of the suggestions on these topics don't seem like overkill without all the layout/soundproofing info. Unless it's an office at home, or some other relatively private setting. In the case of the LSR305s, even a few doors away will be sharing the music, or the bass at least unless we are talking about very low listening levels which kind of brings me to the point of my curiosity. Otherwise, there are smaller desktop options that would suffice, I would think.

I am using the LSR305 to fill a small room. I realize the OP's opening query showed a model with larger woofers than the 305s and that kind of sets the stage for suggestions but, what does an office work environment consist of these days?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's hard for me to imagine an office setting where most of the suggestions on these topics don't seem like overkill without all the layout/soundproofing info. Unless it's an office at home, or some other relatively private setting. In the case of the LSR305s, even a few doors away will be sharing the music, or the bass at least unless we are talking about very low listening levels which kind of brings me to the point of my curiosity. Otherwise, there are smaller desktop options that would suffice, I would think.

I am using the LSR305 to fill a small room. I realize the OP's opening query showed a model with larger woofers than the 305s and that kind of sets the stage for suggestions but, what does an office work environment consist of these days?
In our office we had times when only a few were present early/late and it would be party time with the music, too bad I didn't know about the LSR305s then :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's hard for me to imagine an office setting where most of the suggestions on these topics don't seem like overkill...
Yeah, for me, the only computer speakers I've ever bought were those cheap $20 Pioneer USB powered speakers. :D

I don't care much for high fidelity music in the office or car setting. :D

My office is inside a hospital on a medical/surgical unit. I get phone calls and people asking questions every 15 minutes. Forget about listening to music. :D

But I think the OP is more serious about high fidelity music in his office.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Vanatoo have dac and sub out. Just saying...
I saw that. What they do not seem to have is a crossover, or if they do it's fixed which would be a cool thing because it would be optimized for the speaker's frequency response.

For an at work private office I always preferred a decent DAC and good quality cans. If I were to select office speakers I'd pick something small and unobtrusive and fill in the holes in the bass with a very small 8" sub. Fortunately I'm semiretired now and don't have to deal with "at work music".

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, for me, the only computer speakers I've ever bought were those cheap $20 Pioneer USB powered speakers. :D

I don't care much for high fidelity music in the office or car setting. :D

My office is inside a hospital on a medical/surgical unit. I get phone calls and people asking questions every 15 minutes. Forget about listening to music. :D

But I think the OP is more serious about high fidelity music in his office.
Are you saying that it is not possible to get high fidelity music in a near field setup from smaller speakers? Does high fidelity start at a certain higher SPL?

Why does the only other alternative have to consist of $20 pioneer USB powered speakers?

I have a set of these. 40 watts, with a down firing sub and 8-1" full range drivers. They are certainly more potent than they look. It's Harman Kardon (JBL?) all day long, no matter how you look at it and with a pretty righteous sound. Who makes the amps in the JBL LSR305s?

Form factor. . . .agree it's a little out there but, somehow managed a place in the permanent collection at New York City’s Museum of Modern Art. :D

ETA: These are not USB powered. You actually have to plug them into a wall and connect them to the 3.5mm speaker jack, at least mine, which are version 2, have to be. There's a gain knob on the sub and a touch sensor volume cntrl on the base of the right speaker.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
In our office we had times when only a few were present early/late and it would be party time with the music, too bad I didn't know about the LSR305s then :)
Understood. Mine are hooked up in a welding shop with machinery running and I have to keep them somewhat tamed for customers passing thru. I am often there later than everyone else since I work until 8pm or later some nights but mostly they end up at about 10-20% capacity.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are you saying that it is not possible to get high fidelity music in a near field setup from smaller speakers?
Everyone has a different definition of "high fidelity".

My definition of "High Fidelity" has been Revel Salon2, B&W 802D, KEF Reference 201/2, Linkwitz Orion, RBH SX-T2/R and SV831/SV1212 towers.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Everyone has a different definition of "high fidelity".

My definition of "High Fidelity" has been Revel Salon2, B&W 802D, KEF Reference 201/2, Linkwitz Orion, RBH SX-T2/R and SV831/SV1212 towers.
Oh brother...

OscarJr

OscarJr

Junior Audioholic

Yup, it is overkill, but "overkill" is highly "underrated". :)

My office setup is Legacy Audio Studio HD's powered by a Peavey CS800X, and an Infinity 8" powered subwoofer. Source is laptop playing WAV files, feeding a Resonessence Labs Concero HD DAC, feeding a dbx driverack PA+ DSP, feeding a Behringer vacuum tube pre-amp. Sounds absolutely killer!

Up next in my office are my Legacy Calibres once I build some heavy duty stands for them. :)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I don't disagree with overkill, being that I tend to employ plenty of it. Just that a lot of the smaller desk top solutions are underrated. The smaller speakers I pictured earlier would blow you out of that small office and perhaps one twice that size. It's those smaller full range, 2.1 types, that have had me considering smaller kit builds. As well as the potential within full range drivers in general.

In a near field desk top situation, I was never really able to play the HK's full blast, and the gain on the subwoofer was typically dialed back to 1/2-2/3.

The one limiting factor, if it is limiting, really, is that they had to be turned towards the listening position for full on effect. Considering they are so small, and that the built in stands tilt forward or back, it was actually pretty easy to dial in if one was really after a complete session.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I doubt it. I don't listen to elevator music. ;)
Judas Priest, AC/DC, Vai, Satriani, SRV, is elevator music? There's enough time allotted in one's life to listen to all kinds of music, unless they wish to be subjected to a lifetime of repeats. Each and every one, except for perhaps rap, deserves at least mid-fi quality.

What an odd qualification. I'm pretty sure the sound systems I have, could blow the hair off of yours, and your neighbor's heads likely to the end of your street, even with a lullaby. ;)

OscarJr

OscarJr

Junior Audioholic
Yup, they are elevator music, when you compare them to Napalm Death, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Emperor, and some of my other stuff. :) I never said anything about mine being "better than yours". I was talking about that clear JBL 2.1 set that you posted being able to survive a musical onslaught that I would subject it to. Sorry to have offended you. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yup, they are elevator music, when you compare them to Napalm Death, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Emperor, and some of my other stuff. :) I never said anything about mine being "better than yours". I was talking about that clear JBL 2.1 set that you posted being able to survive a musical onslaught that I would subject it to. Sorry to have offended you. No need to get your panties in a bunch.
Oh brother. . . .

No offense. All in good humor. I can't be offended in person, never mind on the internet. Is why I added the little winky at the end? And yes, the little HK's would deal with noise music as well as subtle.

I am merely stating I have a lot of speakers and power for reference.

My office is an industrial building open to the outdoors, with 4 welding machines and other machinery going all day full tilt, and I'm under the hood in hell with 250 amps in my hand controlling thousands of degrees of heat. I can kind of see why you would need to adopt a sense of comparative edge with extreme music, or a reference to my "panties." You have to get heavy metal through your ears. I get to twist it and move it with my hands all day. :D

Carry on, dude. No way I can top that. :)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
It's hard for me to imagine an office setting where most of the suggestions on these topics don't seem like overkill without all the layout/soundproofing info. Unless it's an office at home, or some other relatively private setting.
MrBoat:
Once again, words of wisdom. I've spent most of my adult life in and out of my clients office settings. From sea to shining sea a whole bunch of cubes, offices, bull pens, and workplace banality. I can't remember anything that would allow a decent system like you would probably assemble to get any traction at all. And if by chance someone did install it, there's just no way its getting cranked up above a conversational level.

Oh brother. . . .
My office is an industrial building open to the outdoors, with 4 welding machines and other machinery going all day full tilt, and I'm under the hood in hell with 250 amps in my hand controlling thousands of degrees of heat. I can kind of see why you would need to adopt a sense of comparative edge with extreme music, or a reference to my "panties." You have to get heavy metal through your ears. I get to twist it and move it with my hands all day. :D
I love the heavy metal reference. The compare between someone who actually works with heavy metal verses the stereotypical teenage metal head made me laugh. There has to be one of those "sayings of the day" you could put in your trailer on AH for that.

As for you getting your panties in a bunch, well, that's just a mental image I refused to form in my head. As soon as my mind tried to form one, an error occurred and my mind started playing Lawrence Welk music. As you said, it aint happening.
Be well. I enjoy your posts.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis