Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
So I have a pair of NHT ST4s, used for 2 channel music only. Looking to upgrade them. Right now I'm powering them with a NAD T955. I have them bi amped. I wondering if a pair of NHT T5 towers would be a good upgrade ($700) or NHT C4 towers ($1,200). My budget is probably $1,500 max. Or is their something else I should be looking into?
RT-85 turntable
Marantz 1609 for pre amp
NAD T955 power amp
Room is about 13 feet wide and 43 feet long.

Attachments

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
That chair on the front right -- that has to be blocking some sound and messing with the overall soundstage

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
That chair on the front right -- that has to be blocking some sound and messing with the overall soundstage
You think so? I thought I would almost be a benefit so it's not reflecting off the wall.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You think so? I thought I would almost be a benefit so it's not reflecting off the wall.
I would move that chair and test it -- the soundstage should be better -- that chair is blocking some sound ... you can always buy a sound treatment panel

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you are looking at Canton, the Chrono SL-596.2 Is only slightly more than Chrono SL-596 on A4L and you get the high end Ceramic coated aluminum tweeter instead of the older aluminum maganese tweeter.

I have the same tweeters in my Vento series Cantons.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
I would move that chair and test it -- the soundstage should be better -- that chair is blocking some sound ... you can always buy a sound treatment panel
Not that easy, it's a couch, all hooks together. I have to stay within the rules of my wife lol

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
No NHT love, I might have to demo some other brands. Not much local stuff for me. One shop sells paradigm and Martin logan but never have anything much for demo

K

kini

Full Audioholic
So I have a pair of NHT ST4s, used for 2 channel music only. Looking to upgrade them. Right now I'm powering them with a NAD T955. I have them bi amped. I wondering if a pair of NHT T5 towers would be a good upgrade ($700) or NHT C4 towers ($1,200). My budget is probably $1,500 max. Or is their something else I should be looking into?
RT-85 turntable
Marantz 1609 for pre amp
NAD T955 power amp
Room is about 13 feet wide and 43 feet long.
What are you not liking about the ST4s or what is it that you are wanting out of an upgrade? IMO new speakers in your budget are going to be a lateral move or a very marginal upgrade depending on your preferences for a certain sound signature.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
No NHT love, I might have to demo some other brands. Not much local stuff for me. One shop sells paradigm and Martin logan but never have anything much for demo
Buy NHT if that is what you want -- they make some nice stuff, but you would be surprised at some of the competition

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think Z is right. Makes me think of someone talking with their hand in front of their mouth. I do understand waf though...(even though I think it’s stupid) and we all have to play nicely!!! Lol
Also, I think being backed up against the wall might not help acoustically. Curious, why not just use the other system?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Is NHT still in business? They had some awesome speakers in the way, way back...
1574440897171.png

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
I think Z is right. Makes me think of someone talking with their hand in front of their mouth. I do understand waf though...(even though I think it’s stupid) and we all have to play nicely!!! Lol
Also, I think being backed up against the wall might not help acoustically. Curious, why not just use the other system?
The other system is for HT and my problem is for music the speakers are too far apart and I can't get far enough from them for good staging. When I did the remodel I would try setting up seperate systems. I would love to have a proper room some day.
I like my ST-4s but looking for more detail, thinking I need a 3 way speaker for that.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
Maybe I'm just trying to do too much in one space. Maybe I should use all one system and maybe someday I'll have a separate room for 2 channel. Problem is my hearing will be gone by the time that happens lol

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Is NHT still in business? They had some awesome speakers in the way, way back...
Yes they are

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe I'm just trying to do too much in one space. Maybe I should use all one system and maybe someday I'll have a separate room for 2 channel. Problem is my hearing will be gone by the time that happens lol
I was gonna make some suggestions so you can just have one system. At least until your hearing is gone lol..
Once I get caught up I have a couple ideas.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
I was gonna make some suggestions so you can just have one system. At least until your hearing is gone lol..
Once I get caught up I have a couple ideas.
Sounds good, I look forward to it. Just a FYI I can't easily change the layout. I have 4 in ceiling speakers for Atmos.
Here is a list of my gear
Denon X4300
Marantz 1609
NAD T955
DVD and CD player
RT-85 turntable
List of speakers
4 angled Atmos in ceiling
Rythmik FV18
NHT U1 subwoofer
2 pairs NHT SB3
ST-4s
HDP-2 rears
SC-2 Center
I think that's all the important stuff. Also I'm open to making my own acoustic panels. I made the ones in the room now.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Look at and sold each

Canton Chrono SL 596 ... a real good price

Wharfedale Reva-5 ... special closeout pricing

For $100 extra - Revel Concerta F35
Wow those look incredible do they work well for theater room right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
I thought this was a interesting read about placing speakers close to the wall.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I thought this was a interesting read about placing speakers close to the wall.

It is interesting indeed, but still just one guys observations. Couple things I got, were that he was interested in using monitors and mixing, and that all the different answers he got were from different speaker manufacturers. Also one noted a compensation switch. I’m sure that just rolls off the the low end earlier depending on how close to the walls or corner the speakers were.
As usual, it depends. That’s the mantra for all speaker placement. When I mentioned that, i wasn’t saying that as a be all end all factor. Only that on a(holding up air quotes lol) “serious” 2ch rig, they’re usually out in the room a few feet, and away from walls to try and reduce the rooms influence as much as possible. And yes it seems you are possibly trying to stuff too many things into one place.

As for using the other system for music. It’s difficult to get a real feel for the space from a sideways picture, but if it were mine, I’d try a couple things. First, I might try and get those mains a little closer to the display. From the pic angle, it looks like you could benefit for 2ch as you mentioned soundstage/imaging problems from being too far apart. Also, it could help with off screen panning with movies. Ime speakers too far off screen will make pans teleport from the side of the screen to well past where you’d expect them to go. If there’s room, “I” would put the sub in the corner, remove the acoustic panels and scoot the mains in. See what it sounds like. Heck, maybe try the NHT’s as mains too, cause why not?
Also(going off memory still) it looks like the center could come either all the way forward to the edge of the stand, or up in front of the tv. Although the tv might need a riser for that. That should help acoustically, and put the tweeters on the same(or closer) plane.
Ok, back to honey-do...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis