NFL Football 2008-09

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
All I can say is "Wow." That was a game that does not sit well with me. First off, why does an 8 and 8 team get to host the game against a 12 and 4 team.
Because the 12 and 4 team lost its division.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Because the 12 and 4 team lost its division.
But they did beat the 8-8 team during the regular season...

I have no problem with division winners automatically making the playoffs, but for the purposes of seeding I think the NFL needs to use overall records. It was silly that both Arizona and San Diego got to host playoff games last night against teams with much better records.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja

I have no problem with division winners automatically making the playoffs, but for the purposes of seeding I think the NFL needs to use overall records. It was silly that both Arizona and San Diego got to host playoff games last night against teams with much better records.
I disagree. Because of the wildly different schedules tames from different divisions play, it's not fair to seed based solely on record. Division winners get the highest seeds, and wild cards get the lowest. That's what makes sense.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

I disagree. Because of the wildly different schedules tames from different divisions play, it's not fair to seed based solely on record. Division winners get the highest seeds, and wild cards get the lowest. That's what makes sense.
That's backwards logic... we choose and seed wild card teams based solely on record and we seed among the division winners based solely records... all of these teams play different schedules, but the common denominator in the NFL is your record. If you can only win 50% of the games you play in a season, you shouldn't be hosting anything.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Right... the primary method for seeding is division winners over wild cards.

THEN we seed those based onrecord.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
All I can say is "Wow." That was a game that does not sit well with me. First off, why does an 8 and 8 team get to host the game against a 12 and 4 team. Just because the AFC sucks so bad that an 8 and 8 team makes it to the playoffs does not mean they sould host the game. I want to preface the second reason with the fact that I rarely think refs have it out for teams, but tonight those refs gave the game to the Chargers. Freeney was held so many time during that game it was hard to count. Then all of a sudden they call holding on the defence in overtime to give the Chargers a first down. Granted that was holding, but they missed every time Freeney was held. No matter, the Chargers will get blown out next week.:D
Gimme a break dude. How many games were STOLEN from the Chargers this season?!?!? We had BACK-TO-BACK games where bad calls by the refs DIRECTLY influenced the end of the game. I remember numerous games this season where we had blatantly bad calls go against us. And in last night's game, I saw at least 3 holding or PI calls that the Colts got away with. It happens all the time. So to try and say that the refs gave the Bolts the game is nuts!!

And blown out next week?!?! How 'bout you put your money where your mouth is????

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan

So the ONLY reason the Bolts and Cards won last night was because of home field advantage? :rolleyes:

Did you forget that the Bolts went into Indy and won last year?!?!? Bottom line is, the Colts and Falcons had a chance to win those games, but the better team won.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
The only teams the Chargers played against with really good defences were the Steelers the Bucks and the Panthers. They only beat the Bucks. They have not seen a good run defence in awhile. Sproles is good but he will not do well against either the Steelers or the Titans. Good Luck. And No, I don't need to bet on something to prove I know about football.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

So the ONLY reason the Bolts and Cards won last night was because of home field advantage? :rolleyes:

Did you forget that the Bolts went into Indy and won last year?!?!? Bottom line is, the Colts and Falcons had a chance to win those games, but the better team won.
Not saying that home field was the only reason for the win... remember, I'm a Giants fan... we took the road route the entire last season! I think that the Bolts or Zona could have won anywhere as long as they played well. I was just commenting on the earlier suggestion that the current playoff system of seeding is silly.

As for last year... that's ancient history now.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I didn't see anything wrong with the game between the Colts and the Chargers. I'm not making any excuses either. The Chargers were the better team last night. I wish them well next week. Do we know who they will be playing yet?

Congrats darien87!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja

Agreed! The system is flawed and needs to be fixed. Not only do the Chargers and Arizona do not deserve home games, the top seeds in the conference end up getting screwed because they can end up playing "technically" better teams then the second highest seed available.

I am not taking anything away from Arizona and especially the Chargers who played "lights out" :p against the Colts.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Agreed! The system is flawed and needs to be fixed. Not only do the Chargers and Arizona do not deserve home games, the top seeds in the conference end up getting screwed because they can end up playing "technically" better teams then the second highest seed available.

I am not taking anything away from Arizona and especially the Chargers who played "lights out" :p against the Colts.
The simple fact is they won their respective divisions. That to me gives them the right to be a higher seeded team than a wildcard team regardless of their record.

Tell the Vikings that homefield has an advantage. Tell the Giants of last year that a visiting team can't win a play-off game.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't see anything wrong with the game between the Colts and the Chargers. I'm not making any excuses either. The Chargers were the better team last night. I wish them well next week. Do we know who they will be playing yet?

Congrats darien87!
I believe we play the Steelers since the Ravens won.

I tell ya, I was screaming at the TV yesterday when Norv decided to kick a field goal and go for OT. I did not want to see Peyton get the ball, march down the field and kick a FG to win it. Luckily, the coin toss went our way.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Luckily, the coin toss went our way.
Don't get me started on how silly the OT system is either!! :D

That's going to be a tough game against the Steelers... I watched the Giants play them earlier this year, their run defense is solid. Rivers will have to be very patient and pick his spots. Harrison is a beast, and Polamalu always seems to make 3 big plays a game. I think it will be an interesting match up.

So the ONLY reason the Bolts and Cards won last night was because of home field advantage?
Apparently not, considering what the Eagles did to the Vikings!

EEEEEE-AAAAAAA-GGGGGG-LLLLLLLLLL-EEEEEEEEE-SSSSSSS

I want to see Philly vs. Pittsburg in the Superbowl. It's just too cool.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The Giants will beat the Eagles, and the Panthers will beat the Cardinals... the rest of the games I could care less about. That is my prediction... I really hope the Panthers make it to the superbowl this year, they really deserve it.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

I think you're wrong on both of those picks. We'll see soon enough.
As a Giants fan I'll admit that I'm scared $#!%less by the Eagles this weekend. As we proved last year, anything can happen when you play a team for a 3rd time...

I believe this game will be either a dull nailbiter (kinda like the Vikings game through 3 quarters), or an absolute blowout.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
As a Giants fan I'll admit that I'm scared $#!%less by the Eagles this weekend. As we proved last year, anything can happen when you play a team for a 3rd time...

I believe this game will be either a dull nailbiter (kinda like the Vikings game through 3 quarters), or an absolute blowout.
I'm thinking it will be a defensive struggle with one team having a couple big plays that make the difference. But who will get those big plays?
The Giants should just pound the line till the Eagles get tired.
The Eagles should keep throwing those short passes till someone breaks a tackle.
Either way, I expect a few players on both sides will come out of the game with some extra dings in their wings.

I just hope the Eagles don't leave it all to defense. Too many times McNabb doesn't get going until late in the game. Take the Vikings game, the Eagles had the lead forever and yet it always seemed like they were one field goal away from losing (until fourth quarter). They couldn't get 7 points offensively. I want to see an excellent offensive game in addition to stripping the ball, punt returns, forced fumbles, etc...

I LOVE watching these two teams play.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis