Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Those numbers make the NFL rules look unfair. Why not just declare the winner right after the OT coin toss?
I do realize this idea of fairness may be quaint and outdated. These days, the NFL is under the sway of Caesar's, MGM Grand, and Fanduel.

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
I don't think that the OT rules are that bad for regular season becasue the games don't need to go longer: I suspect that it does increase the chance of injuries when players are tired. Inpostseason, teams should play another set time period with the winner determined at the end of that period. If 2 OT happen, that's OK. I'm sure that the players would go for it even if it does increase chance of injury somewhat because the loser's season is over.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think that the OT rules are that bad for regular season becasue the games don't need to go longer: I suspect that it does increase the chance of injuries when players are tired. Inpostseason, teams should play another set time period with the winner determined at the end of that period. If 2 OT happen, that's OK. I'm sure that the players would go for it even if it does increase chance of injury somewhat because the loser's season is over.
At first glance, that's not a bad idea.

I wonder what the consensus is among NFL teams to make separate OT rules, one for the regular season and another for the playoffs.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Best week of NFL games ever! All 4 walk off wins only 1 home team / favorite winning. Might never see something like this weekend again. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Definitely a better playoff weekend in terms of exciting games, much better than I expected.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Best week of NFL games ever! All 4 walk off wins only 1 home team / favorite winning. Might never see something like this weekend again. :)
Definitely a better playoff weekend in terms of exciting games, much better than I expected.
After a playoff weekend like that, I always wonder if the next two rounds will go downhill. Will the semifinals be dull in comparison to last weekend? We all know the SB can often be a snooze fest.

Lost in all the chatter about the overtime game in KC, was the come from behind near-victory by Tom Terrific in Tampa Bay. The Bucs were down by 27-3 and managed to tie it at 27-27 before the walk-off field goal snatched victory from them.

Cincinnati will have it's hands full trying to take on KC. But, I think San Francisco at Los Angeles next week might be a good game – only if both teams get a chance to rest and prepare. I continue to be impressed by the 49er head coach Kyle Shanahan.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
After a playoff weekend like that, I always wonder if the next two rounds will go downhill. Will the semifinals be dull in comparison to last weekend? We all know the SB can often be a snooze fest.

Lost in all the chatter about the overtime game in KC, was the come from behind near-victory by Tom Terrific in Tampa Bay. The Bucs were down by 27-3 and managed to tie it at 27-27 before the walk-off field goal snatched victory from them.

I think San Francisco at Los Angeles next week might also be a good game – but only if both teams get a chance to rest and prepare. I continue to be impressed by the 49er head coach Kyle Shanahan.
That 49ers defense is something else

Also the Rams just seemed to want to give that game away. Stafford earned his money tho. With the rest of the team fumbling left and right he put that game on his back in that last minute

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Tom really did make a heroic effort to win that game. I wonder how much that took out of him and if he's ready to go through the grind of an entire season again. Rodgers and Green Bay had to be the most disappointing to their fans though. What terrible performance by their special teams. :(

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL anyone else catch this? Gotta sympathize a bit with him, altho have been at the other end of this too, particularly at the hands of the Packers a coupla times.....

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That 49ers defense is something else

Also the Rams just seemed to want to give that game away. Stafford earned his money tho. With the rest of the team fumbling left and right he put that game on his back in that last minute
Tom really did make a heroic effort to win that game. I wonder how much that took out of him and if he's ready to go through the grind of an entire season again. Rodgers and Green Bay had to be the most disappointing to their fans though. What terrible performance by their special teams. :(
That ended up being one hell of a 4th quarter. Let's see any other game live up to it.

J

jhaider

Audioholic Intern
oh so goes another Bills season lost. Pretty much numb after all the years, LOL !
I thought this was the Bills’ year to excise the ghost of Thurman Thomas’s helmet. Too bad - they looked like the best team in the league pretty much all year.

But I gotta say, kicking off into the end zone and giving an elite offense just enough time to rip you apart instead of squib kicking to force a return and eat some clock is classic Andy Reid clock mismanagement. Did he switch teams in the two minute drill? Dude always liked offense.

A side note. Saturday night, I was glad to see Trent Williams playing offensive tackle, wearing number 71, for San Francisco.
Well the Shanahans drafted him, so it’s a homecoming of sorts.

As a long suffering WFT fan, I can’t help but notice how many ex-WFT offensive assistant coach alums are elite head coaches now. K. Shanahan (OC), McVay (TE coach, OC), LaFleur (QB coach). One has to wonder what could’ve been under smarter ownership and a real GM.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Well the Shanahans drafted him, so it’s a homecoming of sorts.

As a long suffering WFT fan, I can’t help but notice how many ex-WFT offensive assistant coach alums are elite head coaches now. K. Shanahan (OC), McVay (TE coach, OC), LaFleur (QB coach). One has to wonder what could’ve been under smarter ownership and a real GM.
Indeed! I had noticed that all those names sounded very familiar.

For readers not familiar with Dangerous Dan Snyder, the widely despised Washington team owner, he has gone through many coaches, assistants, and quarterbacks during the ruinous years he's owned the team 1999-20. All those now elite head coaches you mentioned above, had spent some miserable years in Washington. Well-known players, including some All-Pros, quite literally asked to be traded away rather than play for Washington.

Here's a long list of 9 head coaches over 21 years of Dysfunctional Dan Snyder. It was painful to look them all up. (The assistants and QBs are too numerous to list.)
Norv Turner – 1999-2000 (fired in mid-season)​
Terry Robiskie – interim​
Marty Schottenheimer – 2001 (Dared Snyder to fire him after 1 season. He had a longer contract, so he was paid for years afterwards.)​
Steve Spurrier – 2002-03 (fired after 2 seasons)​
Joe Gibbs – 2004-07 (Gibbs quit before Snyder could fire him)​
Jim Zorn – 2008-09 (fired after 2 seasons)​
Mike Shannahan – 2010-13 (Kyle was Offensive Coordinator.)​
Jay Gruden – 2014-19 (fired mid-season)​
Ron Rivera – 2020 to present (I wish Rivera well, but he should have his head examined.)​

I know for sure that Marty Schottenheimer and Mike Shannahan have warned others not to work for that SOB. Others may have done so as well, but less publicly.

If you're a long suffering Washington fan, like I am, why not spell the name that fits the true nature of the owner – Washington Team Football – WTF?! [\RANT OVER]

Back to the 2022 play offs. It was a pleasure to watch some good football, not WTF and not any other NFL East team.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Suffering ?? !! LOL!! Redskins fans having nothing on Bills fans when it comes to suffering, need I remind you of 1/26/92 !!!

J

jhaider

Audioholic Intern
Suffering ?? !! LOL!! Redskins fans having nothing on Bills fans when it comes to suffering, need I remind you of 1/26/92 !!!
Sorry if the “ghost of Thurman Thomas’s helmet” quip inadvertently poured salt on old wounds.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry if the “ghost of Thurman Thomas’s helmet” quip inadvertently poured salt on old wounds.
no problem, I still have fond memories of 'Cookie' running all over the Chargers ! Were you even alive back then ? ;)

one more thing, did the Redskins 'ever' have a player lead the league in 'total yards from scrimmage' for four consecutive season ??? No and no other team did either, only Thurman !

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Some ancient history for those who are not fans of Washington or Buffalo. 1/26/92 was the date of Super Bowl XXVI (When is the NFL ever going to stop using Roman numerals? Call it SB 1992.) From 1991 to 1994 Buffalo went to four consecutive Super Bowls, loosing all four. It had to be painful for Buffalo fans.

SB 1991 (XXV) NY Giants 20 – Buffalo Bills 19
NY won by the skin of it's teeth as Buffalo missed a field goal with 8 seconds remaining.​

SB 1992 (XXVI) Washington R*dsk*ns 37 – Buffalo Bills 24
Washington won easily, leading by 31-10 after the 3rd quarter. It was the last of three SB wins under coach Joe Gibbs, and the last year of a great team since ~1980, for that franchise.​

SB 1993 (XXVII) Dallas 52 – Buffalo 17
SB 1994 (XXVIII) Dallas 30 – Buffalo 13
I won't dwell on these.​

Buffalo remains the only NFL team to play in 4 consecutive SBs. Credit goes to Coach Marv Levy and his players for coming back each year. And I have to salute the Buffalo fans for backing them. They clearly have earned the 'long suffering' title.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
But Washington also qualifies as long suffering. Washington had a very good football team during the 1980s and into the early 90s. But not before or since.

Washington had major league baseball and football teams since 1933. Both were rarely any good. Both stunk during the 40s, 50s, and 60s. (Before my memory, the R*dsk*ns were briefly good during the 1940s.) Both teams were owned by overt racists who compounded that with being out & out skinflints.

Calvin Griffith moved his Senators in 1961 to Minneapolis, renaming them the Twins. I was 11 years-old and took it personally at the time. That team was miserably bad, I shouldn't have wasted any love on them. A newly created expansion team replaced them – also miserably bad. In 1971 that team moved to Texas to become the Rangers. Washington was abandoned by major league baseball from 1972 until 2005.

The only game in town was the football team, owned by a racist bigot, George Preston Marshall. He made money by televising games locally as well as across a wide swath of the segregated south including Virginia, North & South Carolina, and maybe beyond. He appealed to that audience by hiring only white players and lack-luster coaches. During the late 50s and on into the 60s, that hurt the team's won/loss record, but didn't hurt Marshall's income.

By 1961, the R*dsk*ns played in federally owned DC Stadium. The US Department of Interior owned the land and managed the stadium. The Secretary of the Interior, Steward Udall warned Marshall to hire black football players or face civil rights legal action. Marshall reluctantly complied, and died in 1969.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Football_Team#Front-office_disarray_and_integration_(1946–1970)
New owners (among them Jack Kent Cooke) completely rebuilt the team with better players and coaches. By 1978, a young Joe Gibbs was hired by an owner whose intent was fielding winning teams. Once the R*dsk*ns were desegregated, becoming a competitive team, local fans became hard-core supporters. Gibbs went on to a 12 year record, winning 3 super bowls in 1983, 1988, and 1992.

After the Gibbs era, it took a very long time (~10-15 years) for a despised and dysfunctional owner (Dan Snyder) to destroy that loyal fan base. Once Washington fans had to wait years to get season's tickets. Now WTF has the NFL's 4th lowest attendance. And many of those attending are fans of visiting teams.

This history is quite different than for Buffalo. Washington had a long sad history of big league sports teams. Only during the 1980s did Washington sports fans enjoy a really good team. Since 1992, the WTF!? football team has been a painful embarrassment, on a long downhill slide.

I guess I hadn't finished my RANT about the WTF!? I'm done now, I promise :rolleyes:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis