timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
To be honest, even if you move the surrounds to the back more (& towed in not Todd in, stupid spell check) I like how you have 3 up front 2 behind. This way there is a really great, center, money shot spot. Plus by having the front row offset from the rear, you don't have someone's head right in front of you when in the back row!!

What if you move the side surround towers to the back of the room. About 2ft from the back wall. Then have some smaller, wall-mountable side-surround speakers made. If you keep moving the 2 surrounds you have from the back to the sides then it sounds like you would benefit from a 7.2 system!!

See I just gave you an excuse to have 2 more speakers made!!!! I'm really a pro at spending other people's money so if you ever need consulting or for me to convince the Mrs. just give me a call!! Haha :D

nezff

nezff

Junior Audioholic
To be honest, even if you move the surrounds to the back more (& towed in not Todd in, stupid spell check) I like how you have 3 up front 2 behind. This way there is a really great, center, money shot spot. Plus by having the front row offset from the rear, you don't have someone's head right in front of you when in the back row!!

What if you move the side surround towers to the back of the room. About 2ft from the back wall. Then have some smaller, wall-mountable side-surround speakers made. If you keep moving the 2 surrounds you have from the back to the sides then it sounds like you would benefit from a 7.2 system!!

See I just gave you an excuse to have 2 more speakers made!!!! I'm really a pro at spending other people's money so if you ever need consulting or for me to convince the Mrs. just give me a call!! Haha :D
I don't use the seats in the rear. They are just extra. I Lfeady moved them back a bit and fled them toward the seating and they sound good. I plan on doing a xt32 calibration tomorrow morning.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
BTW: I like how you moved the 18"s in from the corners. I bet it cleaned up the bass a bit & gives you a nice wide stage up front with your mains being spread out.

Did you notice an improvement from when you had the 18"s in the corners? It's not like you need room inforcement when your running those dual eDs!!! :D

nezff

nezff

Junior Audioholic
They seem to work best firing into the corners, in the back behind the seating on either side, and up front inside the mains.

I definately noticed alot of output with the driver facing toward the corners. I wasnt comletely sold on the "look" of the rear placement nor the facing the corner placement. So I compromised and ended up with this.

nezff

nezff

Junior Audioholic
I also noticed that the mains being spread out more did more for my front stage.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
I would never recommend having a front firing subwoofer with the driver facing the wall (if that's what you were saying you tried). That would just excite a lot of structural vibrations. You probably already have a lot of vibrations that need tamed with those beasts.

In the front corners (drivers facing seats) I'm sure you got great output but may get a tad muddy or bloated. With them on the inside of your mains, I'd bet you had to turn them up 1.5-3dB each to compinsate but get cleaner bass that way. Plus the advantage of having the mains further apart is always nice!!

I used to have my mains about 8.5' apart when I had some of my other smaller subs. Once I got my VTF-15H & found the best spot for it in my room, it made me have to move my front right over about 1'. Since I'm anal about the mains being the exact same distance from center I had to move my front left in a 1'. So now I have them in a lot closer than before. Suprisingly, I haven't noticed the sound being any different or narrower which I'm glad of. It LOOKED better before with the mains further apart & dual smaller subs inside the mains, but it SOUNDS MUCH better with the larger sub even though the mains are closer in. That's the important part...how it sounds!!! :)

Nezff,
Have you noticed any change in the eD subs since you first fired them up?
If you have, could you describe the change?
How would you compare the 18"s to your previous 15"s?

nezff

nezff

Junior Audioholic
I would never recommend having a front firing subwoofer with the driver facing the wall (if that's what you were saying you tried). That would just excite a lot of structural vibrations. You probably already have a lot of vibrations that need tamed with those beasts.

In the front corners (drivers facing seats) I'm sure you got great output but may get a tad muddy or bloated. With them on the inside of your mains, I'd bet you had to turn them up 1.5-3dB each to compinsate but get cleaner bass that way. Plus the advantage of having the mains further apart is always nice!!

I used to have my mains about 8.5' apart when I had some of my other smaller subs. Once I got my VTF-15H & found the best spot for it in my room, it made me have to move my front right over about 1'. Since I'm anal about the mains being the exact same distance from center I had to move my front left in a 1'. So now I have them in a lot closer than before. Suprisingly, I haven't noticed the sound being any different or narrower which I'm glad of. It LOOKED better before with the mains further apart & dual smaller subs inside the mains, but it SOUNDS MUCH better with the larger sub even though the mains are closer in. That's the important part...how it sounds!!! :)

Nezff,
Have you noticed any change in the eD subs since you first fired them up?
If you have, could you describe the change?
How would you compare the 18"s to your previous 15"s?
This was of course just tests I ran to see the best placement for the subs. I'm very anal myself this was the reason for the testing. To find the best sounding and still have the "look".

These subs are definitely in a totally different league. My 15s were nice but couldn't fill this huge room. (30x15). The 18s just play effortlessly. I also installed 4 dedicated 20 amp breakers for this room after I got the subs. I popped a breaker the first day while watching how to train your dragon.
Have one 20 amp for one sub, one for the other, one for the lights in the room, and the last behind the tv for xpa5 and onkyo 5508.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Well done Nezff...well done!!

To add those 20amp breakers & having one for each 18" was a very good move on your part. I applaud the effort & work you have put into this room!!

nezff

nezff

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, when I built my house, my buddy put four extras in the attic right behind the room. I used one on one side of the room and the other on the other side. left the lights and stairwell lights on one, then left the xpa and pre pro on the other

A

armed

Audioholic Intern
holy crap! :eek:

NICE!

im a new guy, if you dont mind me asking, what are those things on the ceiling and the walls? the black rectangular stuff:confused:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis