Next Step: Receiver/Amp or Integrated?

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I think the idea is that the 3300 would drive the UF5s quite nicely, and save you hundreds of dollars over the separates, and perhaps even allow you the funds to get even better speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems OP is fixated on lesser speakers and more expensive electronics for some reason.

S

Soner

Audioholic Intern
I really meant good, but now realize it could have sounded a little sarcastic.
I understand. Even if a little sarcastic, it may have been warranted. ;) Being new to this, I am trying to think through options and what feels like a load of new and important info. On top of this, I am prone to indecision. So, thank you again for all your help and answers/reanswers.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Soner, with the Denon 3300, you get 7.2 analog pre-outs. This means you could pick one up now for a close out price and try it out with your Elac speakers, which we believe CAN drive the speakers nicely, and if you're not satisfied, you could later simply get a separate power amp. If you're satisfied with the 3300, any remaining funds can be applied to better speakers or other purchases. It seems a no-brainer to me. My Denon AVR-5200W sounds great.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I understand. Even if a little sarcastic, it may have been warranted. ;) Being new to this, I am trying to think through options and what feels like a load of new and important info. On top of this, I am prone to indecision. So, thank you again for all your help and answers/reanswers.
Just want to remind you of the often recommended Crown Audio XLS 1502 that can be a good alternative to the multichannel Emo A700 if you decide to go the separate route. Based on members feed back, that unit has no audible hiss and the fan hardly turned on to make any noise at all. I have been testing my first proamp, the QSC RMX 850a. Being class AB, it does have a fan that remains on all the time and is audible. Other than that, it sounds fantastic, with tons of power.

S

Soner

Audioholic Intern
Soner, with the Denon 3300, you get 7.2 analog pre-outs. This means you could pick one up now for a close out price and try it out with your Elac speakers, which we believe CAN drive the speakers nicely, and if you're not satisfied, you could later simply get a separate power amp. If you're satisfied with the 3300, any remaining funds can be applied to better speakers or other purchases. It seems a no-brainer to me. My Denon AVR-5200W sounds great.
Thank you. I don't know why/how I passed over this suggestion earlier. I just read Gene's article and was pleased with the results he found and how they match what I am looking for. This receiver along with the ELACs seem to be a pretty good choice and right in my budget wheelhouse.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But he is still asking questions, indication that he is open minded and even admitted of being indecisive.:D
Yeah maybe I was too rough on the beaver.... :) At least he's considering the 3300 now....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you. I don't know why/how I passed over this suggestion earlier. I just read Gene's article and was pleased with the results he found and how they match what I am looking for. This receiver along with the ELACs seem to be a pretty good choice and right in my budget wheelhouse.
Also keep in mind the 80.3 is dated, it has HDMI1.4a that won't pass the current 4k standard, the 3300 is much more up to date even as a prepro.

S

Soner

Audioholic Intern
Just want to remind you of the often recommended Crown Audio XLS 1502
I was actually looking at the Crown XLS1002 at one point, per suggestions in this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-XLS1002-Two-channel-x2126-Amplifier/dp/B011TI97VE/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I deviated from that because I don't want to blow out a 140w recommended max speaker with a 300w+ amp. I also want to integrate the speakers into a theater scenario (while improving this part of my system primarily for music listening purposes, as stated previously). So, I was concerned that the volume of the front two channels would be disproportionate to the rest of the system with the additional power the amp provided (Note: SPL in my room not hard to reach as my living room is quite small). I wonder now if my concerns were warranted, or if there is a way to adjust my AVR or amp (by gain setting?) to address these issues. I read another thread where this issue was addressed. I understood it partly, but I had some difficulty clarifying for myself what could be done, if anything. Would you be able to shed some light here for me...again? :D

In an attempt to beat the horse a little more,
Greg

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I was actually looking at the Crown XLS1002 at one point, per suggestions in this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-XLS1002-Two-channel-x2126-Amplifier/dp/B011TI97VE/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I deviated from that because I don't want to blow out a 140w recommended max speaker with a 300w+ amp. I also want to integrate the speakers into a theater scenario (while improving this part of my system primarily for music listening purposes, as stated previously). So, I was concerned that the volume of the front two channels would be disproportionate to the rest of the system with the additional power the amp provided (Note: SPL in my room not hard to reach as my living room is quite small). I wonder now if my concerns were warranted, or if there is a way to adjust my AVR or amp (by gain setting?) to address these issues. I read another thread where this issue was addressed. I understood it partly, but I had some difficulty clarifying for myself what could be done, if anything. Would you be able to shed some light here for me...again? :D

Greg
With the Denon 3300, you can calibrate all the speaker levels to your purposes. The volume of the front main speakers will just be the result of your volume setting.

S

Soner

Audioholic Intern
With the Denon 3300, you can calibrate all the speaker levels to your purposes. The volume of the front main speakers will just be the result of your volume setting.
Thank you. I assume this equivalent to the YPAO settings on my Yamaha AVR?

S

Soner

Audioholic Intern
Or the dB settings for each speaker, rather?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Greg
You sort of got that covered by noticing the gain setting. By leaving them at say around 3/4 of maximum and input sensitivity selected to 1.4V you should have no such worry. You can also go by those green signal level warning lights, as long as it only lit up to around -20 you will be very safe. If you go for the so call high end audiophile amps you won't even get such features.

Just one thing I would like to emphasize a little, I suspect most people who go from AVR, or low end separates to the more expensive ones, they would think their speakers "open up", the bass get louder, "tighter", highs become "crystal clear", and that they could hear things that they thought weren't there before, so on and so forth. Some even thought the difference was night and day. You may not go through that initial "phase" because you know you paid very little for the Crown and it is a pro amp, and/or you have been conditioned by us here and have become less prone to Placebo effect. That's why at one point I said those seemingly sarcastic things that you should just go for the amp that you thought would be good for your speakers to sound their best. All I am saying is, be prepared for this journey, it may keep you on it a little longer. The nice thing about the Crown XLS1502 is that it is a relatively small investment.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just one thing I would like to emphasize a little, I suspect most people who go from AVR, or low end separates to the more expensive ones, they would think their speakers "open up", the bass get louder, "tighter", highs become "crystal clear", and that they could hear things that they thought weren't there before, so on and so forth.
So cliche, isn't it? :D

My new Integrated Amp or Amp has "Tighter" and "Faster" Bass than my AVR. :eek: :D

It's more "Airy" and "Opens Up". :D

The biggest and oldest trick is increasing the gain so that people feel like they don't have to turn up the VOLUME KNOB so much!

No point of explaining to them about gain and all that. Just increase the digital trim and turn that gain up 100% so that the Master Volume Knob doesn't have to be turned up very high.

When they only have to turn the master volume knob to -30.0 and the volume is already very loud, the bass just becomes tighter and faster; the treble just becomes more airy, opens up, and smooth like velvet and sweet like chocolate; the midrange becomes crystal clear; imaging is pinpoint accurate; soundstage becomes larger than life; and last but not least, they are able to hear things they have never heard before. :D

Volume = Magic.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I started on Audioholics with an old 80's cheap, 2 channel 150W amp and old speakers. Upgraded to better old speakers and the improvement was as good as anything that I have implemented to where I am at now. Upgraded to newer speakers (still with the old amp) yet that follow a different style than the new/old speakers and it changed things yet again, for the better in different ways as far as options.

Upgraded to a much newer AVR (albeit antiquated Denon 3805) and the most marked improvement was adding subwoofers and bass management. In spite of the newer amp section, the most profound, audible changes has been speakers, and subwoofers. So much so, that I have been on a path to build different sizes and types of speakers and subs, almost completely forgetting about what amps I am using. The reason being, I enjoy listening to different types of speakers. I have big fat ones, tall ones, bookshelf, desktop etc. and these all change how I interact with my room for a specific quality that is mostly based between low level and loud listening. Still, the amp has a rating (IIRC, see, I have forgotten) between 120-160 WPC depending on load and I have not been able to use all of that power with the speakers I own in this 12' X 20' room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis