Newbie needs professional advices.

P

pto

Audiophyte
I recently replaced my old Pioneer Elite with the new Marantz SR 7007 hooked up with a set of 15-year old Infinity Interlude speaker set:

Front L/R: IL40
Center: IL36C
Front High L/R: IL10
Surround L/R: IL10
Surround Back L/R: QPS1
Powered sub: PS12

My feeling is the front high and surround back speakers don't make much of difference when playing a movie. The Marantz SR7007 allows me to use the back surround outputs to bi-amp the front speakers or to power a pair of speakers in a second room. My questions are:

1. Is there a way to bi-amp my front speakers and move my front high speakers to another room? I'm willing to add a 2-channel amp if needed.
2. Should I set up as question #1 if possible or just keep what I'm having now with front high and back surround set up?
3. If I add a 2-channel amp such as Amotiva to drive the front speakers, will the set up improve the overall performance significantly?
4. Any suggestion for better set up for my current system? I have the old Pioneer Elite RSX35 and a pair of Infinity IL50 unused.
5. How to eliminate the annoying whistling sound when the powered sub is turning on?

Your advices will be greatly appreciated.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
1) if you add a good enough amp, you don't need to biamp.
2) I really don't see the point of "height" speakers in a home system.
3) Define "significantly". An amp won't improve things if the current system isn't struggling to provide enough output for your current needs.
4) Get a better sub
5) Sounds like ground loop hum. If you disconnect the sub from the receiver, does it still hum?

P

pto

Audiophyte
Thank you j_garcia,
What sub should I get for my system? The sub only makes a short sound when the low frequency from the movie kicks in or when the powered amp first turns on.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Infinity ILs were a pretty good speaker, so unless you are looking to move up a different level of speaker, I'd keep those. Can't really say from your descriptions, but it almost sounds like that sub has a problem. How is the sub connected to the receiver? Line level (RCA) or speaker wire?

A new sub may not fix the issue with the hum, but either way, I'd still probably upgrade the sub. Would need to know about how much you are looking to spend?

P

pto

Audiophyte
@Steve81: Thank you Steve. That's exactly my sub's problem. I'll try to check the circuit board later.
@j_garcia: Under $1000 and if I really need one. Is the HSU VTF 15H a good replacement?

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The VTF 15H will be a massive improvement, on the order of going from a Prius to a Ferrari. Also: Powersound Audio XS30, Rythmik Audio F15,

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
SVS has options as well. But I agree the sub is what you need to change.

P

pto

Audiophyte
Thank you for your advices. I don't mind to spend what I need to spend. My questions: Is it worth to add a $1000 sub to my 15-year Infinity Interlude speaker set? (They're in very good shape though.) I have a 16x16x9 family room opening to kitchen and dinning room.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Is there a problem with the sound now besides the sub? To be honest, a sub like the ones we're discussing is a bit disproportional to the rest of the system, however you will most likely never need another one :) You could almost certainly get away with something in the $$600-1000 range and still have it be a considerable upgrade from the current sub.

P

pto

Audiophyte
j_garcia, I prefer clean and tight bass, so I chose option #3 and called Rythmik. They suggested me the F15 that is only $100 higher than the F12. Power Sound Audio XS15 has better price. What do you suggest?

P

pto

Audiophyte
Thank you Garcia! Had you not told me, I'd have never known that all I need was to upgrade my sub. After weeks of learning and searching, and due to my room and space, I bought the Rythmik E15SE. I hooked up and tried the latest Badman movie, and... suddenly I didn't even recognize my 10-year old speakers. They sounded totally different than before especially the tight and powerfull bass that was shaking my first floor. Again, thank you Garcia and Isiberian!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis