Newbie needs help with a Pioneer VSX53 and subwoofer issue.

D

DaveStre

Audiophyte
Hi folks, hope all are well and thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

I am having an issue getting output to my powered subwoofer. I can hook up the RCA to a regular channel output and get output, but the subwoofer channel is dead.

I have done so far:
Multiple system resets
Tried setting speakers to small, then large with either the sub set to "ON" or "Plus"
I have tried a different subwoofer.

None of which helped. I have tried all the different sound and movie modes to make sure LFE was being sent to the sub (in theory).

I love this receiver, it powers my KL777x's very well, and I hope to keep using it...if I can get this sub channel active.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi folks, hope all are well and thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

I am having an issue getting output to my powered subwoofer. I can hook up the RCA to a regular channel output and get output, but the subwoofer channel is dead.

I have done so far:
Multiple system resets
Tried setting speakers to small, then large with either the sub set to "ON" or "Plus"
I have tried a different subwoofer.

None of which helped. I have tried all the different sound and movie modes to make sure LFE was being sent to the sub (in theory).

I love this receiver, it powers my KL777x's very well, and I hope to keep using it...if I can get this sub channel active.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

I note that receiver is a very low priced receiver and known for a lot of trouble. I note Amazon have it in clearance at a very low price now. I just don't see how something as complex as a receiver could be built with any degree of quality for the price offered.
If you have subwoofer set to yes, , crossover set to 80 Hz speakers set to small and activate the test tones to the sub, then you should hear it. If you can drive the sub from an alternate source, and you know you cable is good, and you don't get sound from the sub, then the receiver is defective. Just one other thing make sure you set the crossover on the sub to the highest frequency and turn the sub gain all the way up.

If you get no sound under those conditions then there is nothing you can do except go receiver shopping.

Last edited:
D

DaveStre

Audiophyte
If you have subwoofer set to yes, , crossover set to 80 Hz speakers set to small and activate the test tones to the sub, then you should hear it. If you can drive the sub from an alternate source, and you know you cable is good, and you don't get sound from the sub, then the receiver is defective. Just one other thing make sure you set the crossover on the sub to the highest frequency and turn the sub gain all the way up.

If you get no sound under those conditions then there is nothing you can do except go receiver shopping.
I have a feeling the crossover setting is the missing piece, but I cannot seem to access it's frequency settings. I will review the manual again for that. Thanks for the help so far!

D

DaveStre

Audiophyte
Doubt this guy is in the market for that!
I am not sure what separates are, but I am already shopping for an amplifier now versus older style receivers. I am just looking to play my records, no need for most of the other features as I already have an EQ in the circuit between the turntable and receiver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have a feeling the crossover setting is the missing piece, but I cannot seem to access it's frequency settings. I will review the manual again for that. Thanks for the help so far!
Look on page 71 and 72 of your manual. You can set the crossover frequency from 50 to 200 Hz. You must set the output level. I note the sub output setting is zero db. So you will get no sound until you set the sub level above zero db. I bet that is your issue.

D

DaveStre

Audiophyte
Look on page 71 and 72 of your manual. You can set the crossover frequency from 50 to 200 Hz. You must set the output level. I note the sub output setting is zero db. So you will get no sound until you set the sub level above zero db. I bet that is your issue.
So when I go into the x-over settings the first option is set to 50 Hz, so I bump that to 80. As for the next options, should I set them to next highest value, or try to set everything to 80 Hz? It seems the system is looking to move all settings up a notch.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So when I go into the x-over settings the first option is set to 50 Hz, so I bump that to 80. As for the next options, should I set them to next highest value, or try to set everything to 80 Hz? It seems the system is looking to move all settings up a notch.
You also have to advance the sub volume as the default setting is 0db, and you will get no sound. Advance it to + 12 db. at least.

D

DaveStre

Audiophyte
You also have to advance the sub volume as the default setting is 0db, and you will get no sound. Advance it to + 12 db. at least.
So when doing the sound test, I cranked up the sub level, which makes it thump, but, it also pulses the left channel speaker and goes back to no output. Nice thing I found is, I was able to make my 2 main channels sound better than ever with some tweaks. I might just give up on the sub at this point :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So when doing the sound test, I cranked up the sub level, which makes it thump, but, it also pulses the left channel speaker and goes back to no output. Nice thing I found is, I was able to make my 2 main channels sound better than ever with some tweaks. I might just give up on the sub at this point :)
In that case you have it set to large and LFE + main. You need to set your speakers to small in the menu.

D

DaveStre

Audiophyte
In that case you have it set to large and LFE + main. You need to set your speakers to small in the menu.
I did that, still nothing. But, I have adjusted the finer things in the channels, crossover, etc and my vintage speakers sound like I remembered them back in the late 70's. Before, they were very shallow and weak. Now, the woofers pump hard and the highs and mids are far crisper. I always kinda wanted to remove the sub from the system, seems like that day has come. Since the sub and everything worked prior to a recent move, I can only assume some sort of damage occured during the move.

I sincerely appreciate all the help to this point!

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I did that, still nothing. But, I have adjusted the finer things in the channels, crossover, etc and my vintage speakers sound like I remembered them back in the late 70's. Before, they were very shallow and weak. Now, the woofers pump hard and the highs and mids are far crisper. I always kinda wanted to remove the sub from the system, seems like that day has come. Since the sub and everything worked prior to a recent move, I can only assume some sort of damage occured during the move.

I sincerely appreciate all the help to this point!
Have you looked at "channel levels" in your setup menu or ran Auto setup ?
You don't have to have a surround system to do this.
Highly unlikely that only your sub output is bad and the other ones work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis