New X Man Dark Phoenix

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I know what happened. This one seemed to want to do things a bit more like the comics and the general audience, not comic fans, didn't quite get it. It was also a bit darker and as with the reviews, doesn't really have enough time to fully tell the story. It is kind of like cliff notes, so it isn't fully developed, and then the ending could leave a bad taste in people who didn't already know the fate of Jean, not to mention the total lack of Wolverine, uh hello. There's another element in there which probably audiences didn't like as well, I'll let you watch and see.

Marvel is NOT planning a reboot since it was a Fox property and based on how this one did, the reboot will be a while I think. What I heard is they will pursue The New Mutants instead.
They're definitely planning a reboot, but talking 5, maybe even 10 years down the road, tho there are rumors floating around about a Wolverine vs Hulk effort. That may very well be one of the "What If" episodes they have planned for the streaming channel since the movie rights for a Hulk movie are pretty complicated. There's no way they'd abandon the X-Men ip altogether tho.

The original ending was closer to the comics, but was also a lot like Captain Marvel's ending- big space battle with shape shifting aliens and a heroine who goes full Super Sayan on them. The whole train sequence at the end are all reshoots. I read somewhere that the reason it was on a train was so they could keep costs down by having all of the scenes more or less in one room. I followed this pretty closely leading up to the (delayed several times) launch and the whole production was fraught with problems.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They're not abandoning it, just not sure what to do with it, just like everyone before them. NEWS FLASH to the studios, use the comic stories, that's why people like them lol.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Dark Phoenix is available on ATT Uverse on demand this Tuesday. I will check it out.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It seems I never gave my impression of X-Men Dark Phoenix, or did I do it on another thread? :D

Anyway, after reading so many negative reviews and ratings on IMDB on Dark Phoenix, I wanted to give my thoughts. And it's pretty bold. Just giving you guys a warning here.

I thought Dark Phoenix is the MOST enjoyable X-Men movie I have ever seen. :D

That's right. You heard me. :D

If I could choose only 1 X-Men movie to watch over and over again, it would be Dark Phoenix.

I just read some reviews on the latest X-Men movie - The New Mutants. And it seems most people hate The New Mutants too. So maybe I will love it. :D

Most people loved "Logan". But I thought it was way too darn depressing - so I have no desire to watch that movie again.

To me it's all about entertainment - movies that I want to watch over and over again - like "Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat".

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think Dark Phoenix actually starts out as a pretty damned good movie. I think it starts to unravel in the last third, but Jean's showdown with the aliens at the end was pretty cool and Michael Fassbender kills it as magneto again. They managed to make Jean look legit badass. End of the day I don't think it was as bad as it was made out to be.

Edge of Tomorrow is one of my favorite Sci fi movies of all time. I'm talking up there with Star Wars...

I really liked Logan. A lot, but have only seen it twice because it depresses me too, lol.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think Dark Phoenix actually starts out as a pretty damned good movie. I think it starts to unravel in the last third, but Jean's showdown with the aliens at the end was pretty cool and Michael Fassbender kills it as magneto again. They managed to make Jean look legit badass. End of the day I don't think it was as bad as it was made out to be.

Edge of Tomorrow is one of my favorite Sci fi movies of all time. I'm talking up there with Star Wars...

I really liked Logan. A lot, but have only seen it twice because it depresses me too, lol.
Jean Grey was total badass. I just love seeing extremely powerful WOMEN kick as$. :D

Yeah, who wants to see Professor X and Wolverine get really really hurt and not healing? I can't see that over and over again. Very depressing. :(

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for those bastards to release "Edge of Tomorrow" on 4K/Atmos BluRay so I can watch it a hundred more times. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Jean Grey was total badass. I just love seeing extremely powerful WOMEN kick as$. :D

Yeah, who wants to see Professor X and Wolverine get really really hurt and not healing? I can't see that over and over again. Very depressing. :(

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for those bastards to release "Edge of Tomorrow" on 4K/Atmos BluRay so I can watch it a hundred more times. :D
I mean Sophie Turner was alright as Jean Grey. She really doesn't have much to her name besides GoT and a couple X-men movies. I'm sure she's done some straight to video releases. If she could get some more serious roles, that might help open up her acting range. Get her a movie with a good director to help fine tune those skills. Not saying she needs to win Oscars playing Grey, but her portrayal as Grey just seemed forced.

I too am waiting for 4k Edge of Tomorrow. Should be top of that studios list for 4k release.

I would just like to say that I really hate that Disney owns Fox Movies. I would love to have a complete box set of David Fincher movies on 4k. But I highly doubt that will ever happen anytime soon. The greedy pigs running Disney won't really be touching too many of the movies in the Fox library for future 4k releases anytime soon or in the near future.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I mean Sophie Turner was alright as Jean Grey. She really doesn't have much to her name besides GoT and a couple X-men movies. I'm sure she's done some straight to video releases. If she could get some more serious roles, that might help open up her acting range. Get her a movie with a good director to help fine tune those skills. Not saying she needs to win Oscars playing Grey, but her portrayal as Grey just seemed forced.

I too am waiting for 4k Edge of Tomorrow. Should be top of that studios list for 4k release.

I would just like to say that I really hate that Disney owns Fox Movies. I would love to have a complete box set of David Fincher movies on 4k. But I highly doubt that will ever happen anytime soon. The greedy pigs running Disney won't really be touching too many of the movies in the Fox library for future 4k releases anytime soon or in the near future.
Oh, when I said "Jean Grey", I was just talking about the character, not the way Sophie Turner portrayed/played the character. :D

It's one of those times when I can be extremely "forgiving" and willing to overlook some things. It is cool just seeing how powerful the character of Jean Grey is. We knew that The Phoenix and Captain Marvel (another female lead) are 2 of the most powerful mutants in the Marvel Universe. I just love watching them kick a$$, regardless of whomever plays the characters. :D

So yeah, I love having Dark Phoenix and Captain Marvel on 4K/Atmos. :cool:

But dammit, I gotta have Edge of Tomorrow on 4K/Atmos!!! :D

Oh, yeah, I stand Disney. Period. Disney sucks.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The Phoenix Force is one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel comics universe. Way beyond most if not all of earths heroes. Galactus level at least. Read some of the comics if you can it will be enjoyable. I grew up reading Marvel comic books in the late 60s and 70s so I do have some expectations when I watch the movies. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis