New version of the Xbox 360

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
PS3 man. I read that the "Elite" version is limited and will eventually become another option in the range (or they will drop the current lower version). And since it still doesn't have the HD-DVD drive built in, where is the benefit? It made sense with the current unit to have it separate for people who weren't interested in that capability, but if you are going to have a "top" model with HDMI why not build it in? That doesn't make sense...and at $479 + the HD-DVD add on, well might as well get a 60G PS3 with BluRay and wireless built in.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
It really depends how much you will use the console for gaming and if wireless is a big deal to you or not.

The elite model will eventually become the premiere once the special edition elites sell out but the 360 will still be missing wireless functionality (the add on costs around 100 bucks).

The biggest reason, and possibly only, as I see it to pick 360 over PS3 is the gaming library, but that is only because the 360 has been around for so long. I have a wii but plan on waiting to decide if I want to get a ps3 or 360 right now the 360 library is enticing but I am sure the ps3 will get some good stuff too.

majorloser

majorloser

PS3 man. I read that the "Elite" version is limited and will eventually become another option in the range (or they will drop the current lower version). And since it still doesn't have the HD-DVD drive built in, where is the benefit? It made sense with the current unit to have it separate for people who weren't interested in that capability, but if you are going to have a "top" model with HDMI why not build it in? That doesn't make sense...and at $479 + the HD-DVD add on, well might as well get a 60G PS3 with BluRay and wireless built in.
But it won't be able to play Halo 3 :mad:

Matt34

Matt34

I've had both the previous generations of PS and enjoyed them but my biggest factor to jump to the 360 is Xbox live.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
But it won't be able to play Halo 3 :mad:
I can't stand Halo personally. But it doesn't play Gears of War.....though Unreal IS coming to the PS3..... Yes there is a MUCH better title selection, but we were playing my brother's 360 this weekend and I have to once again say, the graphics on the PS3 are noticeably better.

PS3 online is just getting started, but it is already pretty darn good and it is free. I didn't expect it to be a big feature for me, but I have been using the Playstation Store a LOT.

I am surprised it doesn't yet support HD DVD
They said they did that to keep it separate for people who wanted it primarily as a gaming only system. Still doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't just add it in, since it would mean far greater storage for games....DUH.

J

JackT

Audioholic
In my humble opinion, this "breaks the rules" that have been an implicit rationale for console gaming until now. Consoles are supposed to provide a stable, standardized gaming platform. With PC gaming you traditionally have had to chase hardware performance to enjoy newer releases. Not so with consoles, until now.

By releasing an XBOX 360 with an HDMI port that older XBOX 360s cannot add as an accessory, this model is violated.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
But one of the major complaints about the 360 has been the lack of HDMI...I think they held back because they wanted to be sure about the version they put on there, and it may have cost them. In reality most people are probably fine with component.

Matt34

Matt34

I can't wait to actually see a PS3 in person, they released them 2 days after I left to come back off R&R.:(

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
When the features of the 360 where being released a few years ago microsoft clearly stated they would not be including HDMI funcitionality for a simple reason at the time Sony claimed they would not be using it. I cannot remember where I read this interview but their answer went something along the lines of if sony doesnt have it neither will we. I am sure they are kicking themselves now by doing this but if it sells systems they will do it.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

MS has stated point blank that they'll never include an internal HD-DVD drive to the 360/Elite/whatever.

D

davo

Full Audioholic
MS has stated point blank that they'll never include an internal HD-DVD drive to the 360/Elite/whatever.
Goes to show how much confidence M$ has in winning the format war. Imagine the humiliation they will suffer when they acknowledge Sony was right to include Blu-ray IN the PS3, not as an add-on. :D

I can feel the flame wars begining to arise.:D :D

Matt34

Matt34

Goes to show how much confidence M$ has in winning the format war. Imagine the humiliation they will suffer when they acknowledge Sony was right to include Blu-ray IN the PS3, not as an add-on. :D

I can feel the flame wars begining to arise.:D :D

MS is playing it safe. Sony has a history of trying to push new formats with not so great results. Can we say mini-disk or UMD?

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
This blows for everyone who already owns a 360, especially those who bought one since the Holiday season '06. I just got mine in January '07.

I paid $400.00.

If I want to add the 120GB HDD (which I do), M$ is making me spend $180.00 for it.

$180.00 for a 120GB HDD. Insane pricing. Should be $80.00. They are legitimizing it because they sell their 20gb HDD for $100 (which is even MORE crazy).

So, my total cost for just my 360 and the 120gb HDD will be $580.00, which is $100 MORE than the Elite will sell for, plus the Elite has HDMI output.

My arse really hurts today...$20.00 more and I could've just got the PS3 I really wanted all along...and here I thought I was being more fiscally responsible.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Meanwhile ...... been waiting 5 months to buy a Wii now. Seriously, this has got to be some kind of joke.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
MS is playing it safe. Sony has a history of trying to push new formats with not so great results. Can we say mini-disk or UMD?
Pretty sure they also made a huge push with the dvd and the ps2, so its not always a mistake. The difference was the dvd was in a more solid spot when sony made the final push while blue-ray isnt.

majorloser

majorloser

Pretty sure they also made a huge push with the dvd and the ps2, so its not always a mistake. The difference was the dvd was in a more solid spot when sony made the final push while blue-ray isnt.
Let's not forget Betamax tapes :rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis