New version of the Xbox 360

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I get the feeling SACD and DVD-A will be replaced by just plain lossless.

placebo473

placebo473

Enthusiast
I am surprised it doesn't yet support HD DVD
As long as the add-on HD-DVD drive is $199 why would anyone be disappointed. I like the idea of it not being built in. Think of it as a game console of seperates. I'm thrilled. And even more excited that I didn't buy a PS3. The PS3 looks like it elongs on a car's dashboard and although the DualAxis controller is what most gamers are used to, it's not as ergonomic as XboX's. Microsoft hs just hit a home run for less than $500. Yes!

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
As long as the add-on HD-DVD drive is $199 why would anyone be disappointed. I like the idea of it not being built in. Think of it as a game console of seperates. I'm thrilled. And even more excited that I didn't buy a PS3. The PS3 looks like it elongs on a car's dashboard and although the DualAxis controller is what most gamers are used to, it's not as ergonomic as XboX's. Microsoft hs just hit a home run for less than $500. Yes!
Wow.

You're the ONLY person I've come across that feels this way. Hey, as long as you're happy with a lesser machine, more power to you.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Goes to show how much confidence M$ has in winning the format war. Imagine the humiliation they will suffer when they acknowledge Sony was right to include Blu-ray IN the PS3, not as an add-on. :D

I can feel the flame wars begining to arise.:D :D

I doubt they really care all too much about the format war, I mean, who does. Either format is useless right now.

Man, you guys really need to mod your consoles. You can already expand the 360's hdd.... Just wait for some team xecuter to release some good mod chips. Install a new dashboard, done.

I mean come on, all my freinds buy cores and just add their own hdd's.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Even if the format war ends and Blu-Ray ends up being the winner, MS could still benefit by having the HD-DVD drive built in since they could just put games on HD-DVD and have much higher storage capacity than the current 0 gig DVDs they use now. I don't care to have the add on drive simply because it doesn't support the new DTS and DD 7.1 formats, and obviously it has no analog outputs.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I think MS's goal was to knock the Playstation franchise off it's pedestal; the 360 was built to win the Console War, not the Video Format War. They assert they won't build an Xbox with a built-in HD-DVD drive because they don't want to "fragment the market." There's a lot to be said for that approach, but add-ons for consoles have historically been fairly unpopular. Given that only 1 in 10 'Boxers is a buying the HD-DVD drive seems to validate the MS position.

But then again, Gates also claimed we'd have HALO3 on the exact day the PS3 was released in the US...and that clearly didn't happen. So regardless of what they claim they'll do, we won't really know until we wait and see.

J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
The BlueRay drive in the PS3 is definitely a bonus BUT it does add a substantial amount to the price tag. Personally I can't justify $600 for a game console, but I can justify $400.

First and foremost, the 360 and PS3 are game consoles. Sure the ability to play HD movies is a really nice feature, but it doesn't affect the gaming aspect of the consoles in the least. The size of current dual layer DVDs is plenty large enough for games. The compression algorithms that game developers use are pretty crazy, and they can fit a lot of game onto a single DVD. I doubt we'll see a need for larger discs in the next 3-4 years. If we do, Sony was right and Microsoft was wrong. One thing worth mentioning however, is that the BlueRay drive in the PS3 is slower than the DVD drive in the 360. If I remember correctly, the 360 reads at around 16mb/sec while the PS3 sits at 9mb/sec. That means the 360 can load games faster.

Technologically speaking, I've read several articles that declare the 360 a more powerful system than the PS3. The gist of it is that the Cell CPU in the PS3 is an incredibly powerful CPU, but absolutely sucks when it comes to games. If the PS3 had been built to crunch numbers, run SETI, basically do supercomputer type stuff, it would run circles around the 360. As it stands, the 360's CPU is a much more efficient design for games. The GPU in the 360 is also more powerful, featuring a 10MB z-buffer that the PS3 does not have. I have yet to see a PS3 in action, so I have no idea how these claims work in practice.

Josh

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I will say this to those that think the 360's sole use of DVD as its game medium being a limitation, it isn't. What else are you going to do with a 120GB HDD, put you favorite CDs on their, I don't think so. How about some multidisc games loaded on the HDD, the format does not limit the machine.

Note: I am completely neutral in the format war and console war, I do not take sides with either, and their is no clear victor on either side and that cannot be predicted at this point.:)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Note: I am completely neutral in the format war and console war, I do not take sides with either, and their is no clear victor on either side and that cannot be predicted at this point.:)

I think that quote is perfect for the situation. Any lead either side has in either of the wars is minimal and short term enough to not be definitive.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I will say this to those that think the 360's sole use of DVD as its game medium being a limitation, it isn't. What else are you going to do with a 120GB HDD, put you favorite CDs on their, I don't think so. How about some multidisc games loaded on the HDD, the format does not limit the machine.
The 120 gig HD will rock; one of the best uses for it will be to store downloaded HD movies. I don't have a PS3 or 360 yet but my brother downloads quite a few movies for his 360. The large drive will be handy for that.

Once I get moved (within a month) I'll replace my current PJ with an HD model. Then I imagine I'll buy a PS3. To me the fact that it plays games is just gravey: right now the PS3 is the cheapest BluRay player on the market, $100 cheaper than the next cheapest model. Even if I never play a game it's a good deal.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Right now the PS3 is the cheapest BluRay player on the market, $100 cheaper than the next cheapest model. Even if I never play a game it's a good deal.
Assuming Blu-ray wins, sure no big deal.:D (it probably will win though;))

D

davo

Full Audioholic
The 120 gig HD will rock; one of the best uses for it will be to store downloaded HD movies. I don't have a PS3 or 360 yet but my brother downloads quite a few movies for his 360. The large drive will be handy for that.

Once I get moved (within a month) I'll replace my current PJ with an HD model. Then I imagine I'll buy a PS3. To me the fact that it plays games is just gravey: right now the PS3 is the cheapest BluRay player on the market, $100 cheaper than the next cheapest model. Even if I never play a game it's a good deal.
I'm right with you on that one, I LOVE gravey (maybe not ON the PS3). Am also waiting a little bit to buy PS3.

The hard drive add-on that MS is selling is a total rip. You can buy stand alone units with much higher storage for less right now.

Anyone that bought X360 would have to be spewing at the moment but don't worry, MS will still accept more of your money!!:D

Matt34

Matt34

How difficult a job are we talking about when it comes to upgrading a harddrive on the 360?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
How difficult a job are we talking about when it comes to upgrading a harddrive on the 360?
Finding someone who has hacked it is the probably hardest part. I don't know exactly how it is done, but I would think it would be some kind of firmware deal, putting a disc that enables the 360 to accept other HDDs.:D

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
Here is the point of view i see from microsoft. It's evil but the right move.

The xbox has never, ever made a dollar in any quarter since it's been out(unless there was a change this past year) either model actualy. Xbox live is the key I beleive, that and you can run your microsoft media PC right through that maching. The software and expandability is limitid though. As I see Bill G not beign stupid and just wanting a machine in the war, I think he must have a plan. I think that plan is world domination, in form of our media experience. Contol you digital cable through the Xbox. Control you're downloadable content through yoru xbox. Eventualy it will be conroll your whole AV experience through the microsoft software/pc type machine.

Bill wants to be in your living room. He has controll of the majority of the PC's in the world. Vista even has new software put in it that will scan your machine and connect to microsoft and if you have any software or media that it can't verify to be legit it will wipe it from your machine without even asking you for permision. It's about control. He can see eventualy down the line Sony placing themselves to have control in the livig room. Nintendo makes games and gaming consoles, and amazing inovation. They are not trying to dominate anything else. the Sony and Microsoft empires see it a bit different and are battling for who will be the "easiest choice" to control out media experience on our TV's, not for just games but cable and satalite and everything else.

I am a 360 owner and that was a choice based on it can run games movies and they do have a better grasp on what live game play should be. I do not connect it to the net ever accept for the update everyonce and a while and to download a Game or extra oblivion content etc. That may change some day though. And I do intend on getting the PS3 at some point but for me as the user it's about ease of getting enjoyment, I'm not going to skrimp and save and kill myself over getting a machine, and there is nothing in the form of games to make me run over to ps3...yet. The capability of the cell processor is incredable though, and manufacturing them will go down in price soon. And Sony will then have the r&d dollars to expand their network and software library.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis