New system, need advice

M

Millear

Enthusiast
It will be. My wife doesn't want it in the bookshelf though.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Well, typically all the speakers are level-matched. However, you may find that near-field surrounds audibly blend better with the fronts, and are less “obvious,” if you reduce their level.

Also, it’s basic audio physics that the high frequencies attenuate over distance, which is why a speaker’s high end will sound exaggerated if you’re too close to it. So, when I’ve been stuck with near-field surround speakers, EQing the treble down helped them to “disappear.”

Hopefully between these two tips you can end up with something you can live with. I think I’d try the treble reduction first, then the volume adjustment. This is going to be a trial-and-error process.

However, with the arrangement you’re proposing, it will only sound optimal (or at least as optimal as possible) to someone sitting directly between the two speakers. The people on the end seats are mainly going to hear the speaker closest to them – not the most enjoyable surround sound experience.

It might be a good idea to get some small bookshelf speakers (get them at a place with a generous return policy) that you could experiment with, locating them at my proposed locations and yours. It would be a shame to cut holes in the wall only to find you hate where they’re at.

That could also help you determine the best locations on the rear wall, if you ultimately decide to go that route. For instance, your pictures show the proposed rear locations to be symmetrical with the front speakers, but the sofa is off-centered from the TV. IMO the back speakers should be located symmetrical to the sofa.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M

Millear

Enthusiast
Well, typically all the speakers are level-matched. However, you may find that near-field surrounds audibly blend better with the fronts, and are less “obvious,” if you reduce their level.

Also, it’s basic audio physics that the high frequencies attenuate over distance, which is why a speaker’s high end will sound exaggerated if you’re too close to it. So, when I’ve been stuck with near-field surround speakers, EQing the treble down helped them to “disappear.”

Hopefully between these two tips you can end up with something you can live with. I think I’d try the treble reduction first, then the volume adjustment. This is going to be a trial-and-error process.

However, with the arrangement you’re proposing, it will only sound optimal (or at least as optimal as possible) to someone sitting directly between the two speakers. The people on the end seats are mainly going to hear the speaker closest to them – not the most enjoyable surround sound experience.

It might be a good idea to get some small bookshelf speakers (get them at a place with a generous return policy) that you could experiment with, locating them at my proposed locations and yours. It would be a shame to cut holes in the wall only to find you hate where they’re at.

That could also help you determine the best locations on the rear wall, if you ultimately decide to go that route. For instance, your pictures show the proposed rear locations to be symmetrical with the front speakers, but the sofa is off-centered from the TV. IMO the back speakers should be located symmetrical to the sofa.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
So it is ok to move the left surround speaker further away so it is outside the couch? The right surround will stay where it is so only the left one will be offset.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
If your drawing is accurate showing the sofa off-centered from the TV, then yes I'd move the left speaker further out. I'd also move both Atmos speakers to be symmetrical with the sofa.

Or, move either the sofa or TV so that they are centered with each other.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I really think the front left should be further apart as well, but if I understand you its too late now? Based on the schematic in your first post it's set up very tightly around 1... maybe 1.5 seating positions that would be "good" seats in that room.

You have so many compromises that I would consider the possibility of just going with 3.1 and put the extra money into those or just pocket the savings. If you absolutely can't set them up right, what's the point?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
If you absolutely can't set them up right, what's the point?
That's definitely a valid point. But my gut feeling is that "any surround sound is better than no surround sound." :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's definitely a valid point. But my gut feeling is that "any surround sound is better than no surround sound." :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I agree. Don’t let great be the enemy of good, as they say. I also agree that they should go to the sides, but it seems like OP is locked out of that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis