T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Hey guys, first post on this forum, greatings.

I am in the middle of building a new 5.1 system that will eventually be upgraded to Atmos 5.2.4. I have been doing research for months and finally had some time to do some auditions and pulled the pin. Here is what I went with...

AVR: Denon AVR-X4500H
AVR Cooler: AC Infinity Aircom T8
Front L/R: Paradigm Premier 800F x 2
Center: Paradigm Premier 600C
Surrounds: Paradigm Premier 200B x 2
Subwoofer: Paradigm Defiance X12
Speaker Cable: Omage 12 Gauge OFC
Bananas: Sewell Silverback
LFE Cable: Syncwire 8m

What do you think of my choices?

So far, I only have the AVR, Cooler, Cables, & Sub but, the rest will be here within the week. Down the road I will add a second sub and 4 x Atmos Height to make it 5.2.4. I am running 5 x satellites from an old Logitech Z5500 with the X12 until the rest gets here.

Anyway, here is a fast and dirty drawing of the room these will go in(not very to scale or accurate). It's dimensions are 17.5 x 11.5 x 8'(LxWxH). We have a sectional that is too large to go width wise so the setup I have now has to stay for the most part. On the plus side, we should be buying a new house within a year that will hopefully have a larger and more acoustically sound living room. Anyway, what do you guys think of the setup? As you can see there are 2 entryways into the room and neither have doors. The diagram shows 2 potential sub locations. Which would you suspect is better to start with? Also, what do you think of the tower locations? Alternatively, I could put them both on the same side of the entryway as the TV/Center.

Any advice at all is more then welcome guys. I will be using this thread during the build and setup to ask for advice and help. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It all looks good to me. I can see from the speakers and sub that you have done your homework. That is all very good stuff. If you expend your system to include more speakers, consider getting an outboard amplifier, as you may be stretching that AVR's amp a bit by going beyond 7 channels. A 2nd sub would be beneficial as well.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
It all looks good to me. I can see from the speakers and sub that you have done your homework. That is all very good stuff. If you expend your system to include more speakers, consider getting an outboard amplifier, as you may be stretching that AVR's amp a bit by going beyond 7 channels. A 2nd sub would be beneficial as well.
Yes, I spent a lot of time doing research on several brands and models. The Paradigms sounded great and are designed and manufactured right in the same province as me so it was an easy decision.

Yes, definitely will grab a 2-3 channel power amp down the road, if needed, to run the L/R/C. Any recommendations?

A second sub is definitely going to be added with the height speakers(likely next year). I thought about going with the X15 but, I figured 2 of them would be overkill. Do you think it is better to match the sub or go with a 10 or 15" to add other driver sizes?

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes, I spent a lot of time doing research on several brands and models. The Paradigms sounded great and are designed and manufactured right in the same province as me so it was an easy decision.

Yes, definitely will grab a 2-3 channel power amp down the road, if needed, to run the L/R/C. Any recommendations?

A second sub is definitely going to be added with the height speakers(likely next year). I thought about going with the X15 but, I figured 2 of them would be overkill. Do you think it is better to match the sub or go with a 10 or 15" to add other driver sizes?

Thanks for all your help.

As for amps, I don't have any very specific recommendations. Maybe Outlaw Audio if they have availability in your area.

As for the 2nd sub, it would probably be best just to match an X12 with another X12 since they have similar tuning points. The X15 and X10 have different extension so they wouldn't be optimal to mix with the X12 but they would still probably sound fine.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Why the Paradigm Sub instead of SVS or Power Sound Audio?
I looked at HSU, Rythmik, PSA, Monoprice, SVS, Emotiva, etc.

It was between the SVS PB-2000 Pro and the X12 in the end(availability and warranty support in Canada was a must). I chose the X12 because it matches the rest of the Paradigm system(including the unique and subjectivity nice ART surrounds), it is designed and built right in the same province as me in Canada instead of offshore like many, I was told by someone(a couple of people actually)who auditioned both back to back that the X12 was more refined and accurate to them(Makes sense as Paradigm has one of the nicest research facilities in the industry including one of the largest Anechoic chambers in the world.), because it offers more advance hardware & software with ARC, because I liked that it was downfiring, and because I got it for a good price(lower then the SVS by quite a bit).

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Apart from the Outlaw 2220 Monoblocks, you might prefer the Monoprice Monolith 3 channel unit which only uses one chassis. It is solidly built by ATI, an American electronics manufacturer and also has excellent specs.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Apart from the Outlaw 2220 Monoblocks, you might prefer the Monoprice Monolith 3 channel unit which only uses one chassis. It is solidly built by ATI, an American electronics manufacturer and also has excellent specs.
Thank you for the advice, I will check them both out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis