New subs on the way !!

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I know man. They were good subs for the day and I have no problem believing that they sound good. You're probably getting good extension too with room gain. Subs have come a long way tho and you're due for an update my friend! I think you made a great choice.
25 years is a lot of change in sub tech for sure I’ve noticed that in recent years jbl has lagged way behind in there sub department for home use anyway . But back when home theater was starting to get in homes these were top notch and are built really good I may let my buddy that builds amps go over them and sneak them into the back of the room before the wife notices them lol !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lol indeed I’ve got lots of spares I pulled the plate amp out and looked it over just old and dusty to my eye it shot a blue spark out about an inch before I even touched it that time it still works mabey I’ll just not touch it lol !
How long was it unplugged before you pulled it? Caps can carry a charge for a while....

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
How long was it unplugged before you pulled it? Caps can carry a charge for a while....
About 4 years since we had water damage in our home and I had to empty half the house for repairs so yea about 4 years . That sub has acted up for a couple years also sometimes you have to jiggle the plugs to get it turned on once you find the right spot it stays ok and turns on auto with a signal. I’ve always thought it was the rca plug on the plate amp it probably needs new rca jacks put on it .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
About 4 years since we had water damage in our home and I had to empty half the house for repairs so yea about 4 years . That sub has acted up for a couple years also sometimes you have to jiggle the plugs to get it turned on once you find the right spot it stays ok and turns on auto with a signal. I’ve always thought it was the rca plug on the plate amp it probably needs new rca jacks put on it .
Was just wondering how the shock would make it thru a well constructed rca cable....but in any case you're upgrading....whatcha gonna do with the old subs?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Was just wondering how the shock would make it thru a well constructed rca cable....but in any case you're upgrading....whatcha gonna do with the old subs?
At the time I thought it was static shock and am still leaning to that I’ve put a meter on it never found any voltage on or off power or plugged in or unplugged on the Jack or cable my guess it was static our house can get pretty dry .
The old subs Iam not sure I know they need going over and checked out as they can be late to the party with program triggering them to on . for there age the cabs and drivers are very good shape so I may fix them up and put them out in my garage system .

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You got me going. I'm listening to La Gargola right now, lol. I'm gonna just drop a few more songs for you to check out then I'll stop spamming your thread @Mark E. Long.

Also, I fairly recently discovered that Kill 'Em All has some decent bass! That surprised me, but then I realized I've never listened to it on a good system before, lol. Check out "No Remorse". You can really feel Cliff's bass right at the beginning during that sweet, sweet heavy riff that they open the song with.
Ooohh...I like Punchline. Very haunting.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats man! You'll be rockin and your wife will be balling. Looking forward to your observations. I loved my PB1000 when I had it. Maybe later I can save up for the Pro.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
25 years is a lot of change in sub tech for sure I’ve noticed that in recent years jbl has lagged way behind in there sub department for home use anyway . But back when home theater was starting to get in homes these were top notch and are built really good I may let my buddy that builds amps go over them and sneak them into the back of the room before the wife notices them lol !
Have you had them for 25 years and they're still kicking? That alone says something about their quality. That's a really good run.

You're taking a solid step up with the PB1000 pros. Of all their latest and greatest developments over the last year I think the updates they've made to the 1000 series are the most exciting. They've dethroned, or at least matched HSU for the best bang for buck sub in the price class, imo. I think a pair of those might even be sufficient in my big room, if not quite enough for a bass head like me. Don't ya just love trickle down technology? Did you say they'd be there today? Or did you mean they ship today?

You know if you have the space you could move the JBLs behind the couch for nearfield. That'd be like 2 upgrades!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
It's one of their mellower songs, but I like it a lot too. It also has legit sub 20 hz bass in it all through the song.
Do you follow Audioholics on Facebook? Gene just unpacked some RBH speakers. I don't think I've ever seen a port that big before! :D
AH SVS.jpg

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Have you had them for 25 years and they're still kicking? That alone says something about their quality. That's a really good run.

You're taking a solid step up with the PB1000 pros. Of all their latest and greatest developments over the last year I think the updates they've made to the 1000 series are the most exciting. They've dethroned, or at least matched HSU for the best bang for buck sub in the price class, imo. I think a pair of those might even be sufficient in my big room, if not quite enough for a bass head like me. Don't ya just love trickle down technology? Did you say they'd be there today? Or did you mean they ship today?

You know if you have the space you could move the JBLs behind the couch for nearfield. That'd be like 2 upgrades!
Yep still got the paperwork for them got them at JR’s music world . Paid like $ 400.00 I believe for each one big money back then lol !
The new ones just arrived Iam pumped it will take awhile to remove the old ones and set these baby’s up so far there just a little deeper cabs than the old one pretty much the same on height and width but they are prettier lol .
Yes I’ve had a great run with the old jbl’s and they still sound great but they occasionally need played with to kick on they need going over and the plate amps checked out and I think the rca jacks replaced as they seem to be the problem with connection all the time . They could end up back of the room we’ll see . I’ll give a review to you fellas in a day or two as it will be tomorrow to get this set up .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Congrats man! You'll be rockin and your wife will be balling. Looking forward to your observations. I loved my PB1000 when I had it. Maybe later I can save up for the Pro.
Thanks man I can hardly contain myself got to get the old ones out and the new setup and start tuning it all in I’ll update tomorrow .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
All set up and ready to calabrate ! These look amazing built like tanks the app setup is really really cool too I’ll be tweaking for days . Was able to keep my risers that are sand filled and weigh 70 lbs apiece was afraid I’d have to build new ones . The combination of the sand filled risers and those huge isolation feet should kill any unwanted vibrations threw the laminate flooring .
I’ll update later after I dial it all in !!

Attachments

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
All set up and ready to calabrate ! These look amazing built like tanks the app setup is really really cool too I’ll be tweaking for days . Was able to keep my risers that are sand filled and weigh 70 lbs apiece was afraid I’d have to build new ones . The combination of the sand filled risers and those huge isolation feet should kill any unwanted vibrations threw the laminate flooring .
I’ll update later after I dial it all in !!
Whoa looks great, Mark! What ya test them with? Those big heavy speakers look familiar. :Dthem candles gonna fall off.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Whoa looks great, Mark! What ya test them with? Those big heavy speakers look familiar. :Dthem candles gonna fall off.
Yea them candles ain’t going to get it on these I like them at night tho . Have to wait till later today to try them out got to run to town first . But I’ll let y’all know my thoughts !!

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Alrighty then done two calibrations second one is a keeper . Set these subs up just like they said at SVS and wow there amazing right out of the box deeper, cleaner and you can’t even tell that there even there . Second run threw I didn’t see the need to fine tune anything except speaker size and crossovers as usual.now to figure out this app and just what all this stuff does to these beauty’s !

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis